These birthday cake donuts are baked funfetti donuts covered in chocolate. The donuts are soft and full of sprinkles. They are topped with a shiny chocolate glaze with Rainbow sprinkles. These are easy to make and kids will love them!
How To Make Funfetti Donuts
These donuts are made with no mixer required!
- Mix dry ingredients- First, mix these in a separate bowl. The cinnamon gives the donuts some flavor!
- Mix wet ingredients- Mix the melted butter, oil, both sugars, vanilla, eggs, and sour cream together. Use a whisk to mix until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet. Switch to a rubber spatula and mix until smooth.
- Add in sprinkles- Fold in the sprinkles!
What Donut Pan To Use
I have only made this recipe using a donut pan. I used this Wilton pan.
Spray the pan with baking non-stick spray. Then, pour batter into a piping bag.
Fill the donut pan halfway with the batter. Then, bake!
Over Filled Donuts
While baking these donuts, they puffed up in the oven and the middle hole got lost.
I have the perfect tip to get that center of the donut back! I used the Wilton 1M piping tip. Any large piping tip will work since you will cut with the base. It fits perfectly.
Flip the cooled donut upside down and cut the hole.
This is the easiest chocolate glaze because it uses chocolate chips!
First, mix the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a glass measuring cup. Heat in the microwave in 10 second intervals. Make sure to stir well between each interval.
Mix until the chocolate is all the way melted. Then, place the glaze in a bowl that is easy to dip donuts in.
Glaze the birthday cake donuts right away. Shake off any excess chocolate and top with sprinkles.
What Type Of Sprinkles To Use
This recipe uses two different types of sprinkles.
For the donut batter, use rainbow jimmies. These are the long ones. I recommend the Wilton brand. My favorite sprinkles are these ones.
Then, top the donuts with rainbow nonpareil sprinkles. The small ball sprinkles. This gives them a fun rainbow look.
How To Store The Donuts
These birthday cake donuts are best when eaten right away. You can cover and store them at room temperature. They are good for 3 days after making. Don't store in the fridge.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
- Chocolate glazed donuts
- Chocolate chip walnut banana bread
- Sour cream blueberry muffins
- Banana bread waffles
Birthday Cake Donuts
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 4 TBSP Unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup Oil Canola or vegetable
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 TBSP Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Sour cream room temperature
- ⅔ cup Sprinkles rainbow jimmies
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 TBSP Unsalted butter
- 4 tsp Light corn syrup
- 4 tsp Water
- Sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a donut pan with baking non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, and oil. Mix until combined. Add in sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix until combined. Add in dry ingredients. Use the whisk to mix until the batter gets too thick. Switch to a rubber spatula. Add in sprinkles and fold in gently.
- Pour batter in piping bag. Pipe batter about ½ way full in the donut pan. Bake for 10-13 minutes. Bake until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the donuts sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to the cooling rack. Allow the donuts to cool completely before glazing.
- Add chocolate chips, butter, light corn syrup, and water into a glass measuring cup. Heat in the microwave for 10 second intervals. Stir very well in between each interval. When the butter is almost melted, stir to melt it the rest of the way.
- Pour glaze into a bowl that is easy to dip donuts in. Dip each donut in the glaze. Shake off the excess. Immediately sprinkle extra sprinkles on top. Let the glaze set before serving.