These blueberry strawberry pies are the perfect hand pies to make. They are easy to make and use store bought pie dough. They are full of a blueberry strawberry pie filling and make perfect circle pies!
These blueberry strawberry pies are hand pies stuffed with pie filling similar to a jam. These pies use store bought pie dough for a really easy bake!
They can be decorated however you like, I decorated these to be circles!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy pie dough- The pie dough is store bought, you can't get easier than that!
- Blueberry strawberry pie- The pie filling uses strawberries and blueberries.
- Festive- I made these for July 4th, but they can be made year round!
- Easy to make- You can make these super quick, once the filling is chilled. This is such an easy recipe.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Pie dough- If there is a pie dough you would like to use, you can! I just use Pillsbury pie dough. I used both sheets.
- Strawberries- You can use fresh strawberries or frozen strawberries.
- Blueberries- You can use fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries.
- Cornstarch- This helps to thicken the pie filling.
- Lemon juice- You can use freshly squeezed lemon juice or concentrated lemon juice.
- Egg wash- You need an egg and water for the egg wash.
- Coarse sugar- I used sugar in the raw to top the pies.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these mixed berry pie. This recipe needs rolling pin, cookie sheet with parchment paper, and a fork.
STEP 1: Make the filling. First, in a medium saucepan, mix the strawberries, blueberries, cornstarch, white sugar, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, and salt.
Cook the filling and mash the berries using the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher. Light mash the berries.
Cook until thickens, and cool completely.
STEP 2: Thaw the pie dough. If the dough is refrigerated, let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes before rolling.
STEP 3: Roll the dough. Roll one sheet at a time on a lightly floured surface. Use a 3-inch or 3.5- inch biscuit cutter. You can knead and reroll the scraps of pie dough once to get an extra circles.
You will get 10 rectangles for the bottom crust.
STEP 4: Roll again. Roll the next sheet and cut into the same amount of circles. The only difference, is once you have your top circles, take the rolling pin and roll the circles, so they are a bit thinner. This helps to be able to place on top of the filling.
Use a sharp knife to cut two curvy lines into the top circles.
STEP 5: Fill. Make the egg wash and use a pastry brush to brush the edges of the bottom circle. Use 1 Tablespoon of berry filling on the bottom layer of circles. Place the top circles on top of the filling.
STEP 6: Prepare the pies. Use a fork to crimp the pies together. Chill in the fridge while the oven preheats.
STEP 7: Bake. Then, brush with an egg wash. Top with a good sprinkle of the course sugar on top of the pie. Then, bake for 15-19 minutes. Bake until the pies are golden brown.
Cool before eating.
Expert Baking Tips
- To quickly cool the filling, place in the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes, so it cools evenly.
- Don't use a biscuit cutter that is smaller than 3-inches. I ended up using a 3.5-inch biscuit cutter.
This is because you didn't cook the filling long enough.
Cornstarch will lead to best results for thickening. However, since the filling is small compared to a full pie, it should work.
You don't need to thaw the berries, they will thaw as they cook. You will just need to cook the pie filling for a longer time.
Storing and Freezing
Store the blueberry strawberry pies in an airtight container and store at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
These pies can eaten by hand or in a bowl with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
You can freeze these strawberry blueberry pie, store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Berry Recipes To Try
Blueberry Strawberry Pies
- 2 Sheets of Pie dough I used store bought.
- 2 cups Strawberries cut into quarters
- ¾ cup Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large egg
- 2 teaspoon Water
- Coarse sugar
- Start by making the jam filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix the strawberries, blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt together.2 cups Strawberries, ¾ cup Blueberries, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 2 tablespoon Lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Heat until the berries start to lose their juices. Once the berries are softened, use the back of your spoon to lightly marsh the berries. Cook until thickened.
- Pour into a bowl and cool completely.
- Take the pie dough from the fridge and let it sit for 15 minutes. Place on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll it out slightly. Roll out 1 pie sheet at a time.2 Sheets of Pie dough
- Use a 3 inch or 3.5 inch biscuit cutter to cut the bottom part of the pies. You can roll the pie scraps once to get more circles. I got 10 pies.
- Roll the next pie sheet and cut into the same circles, this will be the top of the pies. Roll each of these circles with a rolling pin, so they are slightly thinner and bigger. This will let the tops stretch over the filling.
- Use a sharp knife to cut two curve lines in the middle of top circles.
- Mix the egg and water together. Use a pastry brush to brush the edges of the bottom circles with egg wash. Use a tablespoon to scoop the filling on top of the bottom squares. Spread the filling over the center, but keep the edges clear.1 Large egg, 2 teaspoon Water
- Place the top circles on top. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Place the biscuit cutter over the pies and remove the extra pieces.Coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the pies in the freezer while the oven preheats, so the pastry chills.
- Brush the egg wash on top of the pies. Sprinkle the coarse sugar on top. Bake for 15-19 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Let the pies cool before eating.