These chocolate chip marshmallow cookies are very gooey easy to make cookies. This is a brown butter no chill cookie recipe. The cookies are filled with chocolate chips and topped with marshmallows.
These brown butter chewy marshmallow chocolate chip cookies are super gooey! When I was making these, I didn't want the marshmallows to melt too much in the oven. So, these are topped with marshmallows just before the cookies are done baking.
For more marshmallow recipes, try Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies, S'mores Fluffy Marshmallow Brownies, and Hot Chocolate Cupcakes.
Why This Recipe Works
- Brown butter cookies- This recipe uses brown butter which gives them a more gourmet flavor. It makes them taste a bit "nutty", but it is SO good with brown butter!
- No chill chocolate chip cookies- These cookies don't need any chill time! Hooray! They can be made and go straight into the oven.
- Gooey Marshmallows- The marshmallows are cut in half and placed on top of the chocolate chip cookies just before done baking.
- Chewy texture- They have the most chewy and gooey center and have crisp edges.
- Unsalted butter- This use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter for browning. The water in the butter reduces as it browns, so you need extra butter.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar. You can use dark brown sugar.
- Chocolate chips- High quality semisweet chocolate chips are the best for this recipe. You can also use dark chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips. However, don't use milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
- Marshmallows- You regular sized marshmallows (don't use mini marshmallows or jumbo marshmallows).
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy cookies.
STEP 1: Brown the butter. First, use a large frying pan over medium heat. Melt the butter first and stir using a rubber spatula. Then, keep stirring until butter turns amber in color and the milk deposits separate and brown.
Let the butter cool for 15 minutes before using. Hot butter will change the texture of these cookies.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. Make sure to use a sifter to sift the all-purpose flour. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
STEP 3: Mix the butter and sugar. Next, mix the brown butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl. Then, add in the vanilla extract and eggs.
STEP 4: Add in flour mixture. Now, add in the flour mixture and chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to fold it in.
STEP 5: Scoop the dough. Use a large cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop and scoop 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 6: Bake the cookies. Bake the cookies first for 11 minutes on prepared baking sheets. Then, add two marshmallow halves on top of the cookies. Bake for another 2 minutes.
STEP 7: Cool the cookies. Let the soft chocolate chip cookies sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes. Then, let them cool on a cooling rack or wire rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure to spoon and level the flour. If you stick your measuring cup right into the flour, it will compact it down. This causes your cookies to not spread.
- Brown butter- When you are browning the butter, it will first get foamy on the top. Keep stirring, so you have any eye on the bottom of the pan.
- This recipe doesn't an electric mixer, just a rubber spatula!
- Use kitchen scissors to cut the marshmallows in half. Use your fingers to form the marshmallow half back into a circle shape.
- For best results, place extra chocolate chips on the tops of the cookies.
Yes you can. Bake 12 cookies per cookie sheet for 8-11 minutes. These cookies won't be as chewy though. When they are baked small, there is less of a chewy center.
I had this problem when I was originally recipe testing. Putting the marshmallows on top of the cookies just before done baking, prevents this from happening.
No you don't. Use 1 cup of melted butter instead.
If you want to spoon the sticky marshmallow fluff on top of the cookies, you can. However, it is SO much easier to use regular marshmallows.
Storing and Freezing
Store these chocolate chip marshmallow cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days. They are best served a little warm with a little bit of ice cream!
The cookies can be frozen once baked. Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before enjoying.
The cookie dough balls can be frozen as well. Wrap the cookie dough balls in plastic wrap or use a freezer safe bag. Freeze up to 30 days.
Let the cookie dough balls come to room temperature before baking. Otherwise, they won't spread.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 cup Plus 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter browned
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 ⅓ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips Plus extra for topping the cookies
- 15-20 Marshmallows cut in half
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Continue stirring the butter using a rubber spatula until the color browns, and the milk deposits on the bottom separate and brown. This takes about 10 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.1 cup Plus 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Pour the butter in a large mixing bowl. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large separate bowl, sift the flour. Add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt.2 ⅓ cups All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using the mixing bowl with the browned butter, mix in brown sugar and sugar. Mix in vanilla and eggs. Fold in the dry ingredients.1 cup Brown sugar, ½ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Use a large cookie scoop (3oz scoop) and scoop 6 cookie dough balls per baking sheet.1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Bake for 11 minutes (bake one sheet at a time). Cut the marshmallows in half. Top each warm cookie with 1-2 marshmallow halves. Place back in the oven to bake for 2-3 minutes.15-20 Marshmallows
- Use your fingers to "smush" the marshmallows down slightly. Top the cookies with extra chocolate chips.
- Let the cookies sit on the hot tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let it cool for 10 minutes before digging in.
The crisp edges on these chewy cookies are everything! The kids loved smushing the marshmallows down and they are asking when we can make them again!
I loved how these cookies turned out!
These cookies took me 15 minutes to make before going in the oven. I loved how gooey they were!