These chocolate covered Rice Krispies treats are a take on the classic treat. They are gooey Rice Krispies treats with tons of mini chocolate chips. Plus they are topped with chocolate and a twisty pretzel. Don’t forget the flaky sea salt on top. It helps to balance the sweetness.
How To Make No-Bake Rice Krispies Treats
The best part about Rice Krispies treats is that they are no bake. They are ready to eat in 50 minutes! They are a must make, especially if you have kids. Here is how to make them.
- Melt the butter- First, melt the butter in a large sauce pan. While the butter is melting, get the rest of the ingredients ready to go.
- Melt the marshmallows- Mini marshmallows are the easiest and fastest to melt down. I have used regular marshmallows and cut them in half. Make sure it is 10oz of marshmallows. Melt completely.
- Salt and Vanilla- This recipe uses extra salt. Rice Krispies treats are super sweet, especially with the chocolate. To balance it, the extra salt is important.
- Rice Krispies- Add the cereal. Use a rubber spatula to mix until completely coated. Let it sit for 2 minutes before adding the mini chocolate chips. If you add them too early, they will melt.
- Mini chocolate chips- Add HALF of the mini chocolate chips. Then only stir 3 times. This mixes them in without melting the chips completely.
- Top- Pour in the pan and top with the rest of the mini chocolate chips.
How To Keep Treats From Sticking To Pan
These chocolate covered Rice Krispies treats are super sticky! To prevent them sticking, first start with an 8X8 pan.
Next, spray super well with a baking non-stick spray. The kind with flour in it. Then, line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Leave some coming from the top, so you can pull the treats right out of the pan.
How Long To Cool Treats
The best type of Rice Krispies treats are the gooiest kind! Only let them sit in the pan for 30 minutes. They will be still so soft.
Now to cover them in chocolate! My favorite thing to do!
Start by heating the heavy cream. Then, pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let them sit before stirring until smooth.
Take the treats out of the pan and cover with the chocolate. Use an off set icing spatula to spread evenly.
Freeze them uncovered for 10 minutes. This will set the chocolate enough to be cut into the bars.
Topping The Bars
Once the treats are smothered in chocolate, it is time to top them!
I strongly suggest getting this flaky sea salt. I tried them with and without the salt and they are SO much better with it! Use this flaky sea salt for anything with chocolate.
Next, top with the pretzel! Since these do not go in the fridge, the pretzel stays nice and crisp. The pretzel adds more saltiness and some crunch.
If you don’t want to do pretzels, top these treats with anything crunchy and salty. Topped with potato chips would be so good!
How To Store These Treats
Do NOT store these in the fridge. When they are cold, they become hard as a rock. Keep them at covered at room temperature to keep them soft. They will last up to 5 days.
Other Bar Recipes To Try
- Oreo blondies
- Oreo cookie dough bars
- Peanut butter and jelly cheesecake bars
- Cookie dough cheesecake bars
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispies Treats
Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 TBSP Unsalted butter
- 10 oz Mini marshmallows
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups Rice Krispies
- 3/4 cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 16 Pretzels
- Flaky sea salt
Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray an 8X8" pan with baking non-stick spray. Set aside. Using a large sauce pan, melt the butter on medium. Once the butter is bubbling, add in the mini marshmallows. Stir until it is just melty and gooey. Remove from heat. Add in salt and vanilla. Stir.
- Add in Rice Krispies. Fold in gently using a rubber spatula. Then, let it sit for 2 minutes. Pour in 1/2 of the mini chocolate chips. Fold these in exactly 3 times. Any more, and the chocolate chips with melt. Pour immediately into 8X8" pan.
- Spread Rice Krispies around the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the mini chocolate chips. Press these in using your fingers. Let it set for 30 minutes. They should be set but still gooey.
- Pour chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Mix the chocolate until smooth and glossy. Take Rice Krispies treats out of pan. Spread chocolate over the Rice Krispies treats. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Cut the treats into 16 pieces. Top with the pretzels and flaky sea salt. Serve right away.