These chocolate covered Rice Krispies treats are a take on the classic treat. They are gooey Rice Krispies treats with tons of mini chocolate chips. The treats also topped with chocolate ganache and a pretzel to balance the sweetness!
The chocolate covered Rice Krispie treats are easy to make and a no bake treat. They are super gooey and full of butter and mini chocolate chips.
They are topped with a chocolate ganache that gets poured on the top of the treats.
The best part about these is just how gooey they are. They are extra buttery, so they stay soft!
Why This Recipe Works
- Gooey Rice Krispie Treats- They are super gooey because they extra butter and less cereal so they stay gooey!
- Chocolate inside the treats- There are mini chocolate chips inside, so there is chocolate throughout!
- Chocolate covered- They are topped with a chocolate ganache.
- Easy to make- These are a no bake treat, so kids can help make them!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted in the pot.
- Mini marshmallows- I recommend the mini size because it will easier to melt than the regular sized marshmallow. Use a whole bag of the minis.
- Rice Krispies- You can use any simple cereal instead of Rice Krispies.
- Mini chocolate chips- It is best for texture and flavor if you use the mini size because it will give them small pockets of chocolate.
- Chocolate chips- For the ganache, use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these crispy treats. You will need a large pot and a 8X8-inch square pan sprayed with baking spray.
STEP 1: Melt the butter. First, melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Then, add the mini marshmallows into the melted butter and mix until the marshmallows are just melted.
Remove the pot from the heat once the marshmallows are melted. Then, add the salt and vanilla extract.
STEP 2: Add the cereal. Fold in the cereal into the marshmallow mixture using a rubber spatula. Let it sit for 2 minutes to cool lightly and to let the marshmallows rest.
STEP 3: Add the mini chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chips. But only fold in half of them. Be very gentle here, because they will melt and get too muddled if you over mix.
STEP 4: Pour. Next, pour the homemade Rice Krispie treats into the prepared pan. I used my hands to press the cereal into the pan. Top immediately with the rest of the mini chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Rest. Let the treats rest for 30 minutes. This will allow them to cool, but they will still be gooey enough.
STEP 6: Decorate. Top the bars with the melted chocolate and pretzels if desired. Let them freeze for 10 minutes in the freezer before cutting into it.
Expert Baking Tips
- Top these cereal treats with flaky sea salt to really help balance the sweetness.
- To easily remove the bars from the pan, spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper and spray again. Then, you can just pull on the parchment paper to release the bars.
- Use an offset icing spatula to spread the chocolate on top of the bars.
For thinner Rice Krispie treats, use a 9X9-inch square pan. Half the recipe to use a 9X5-inch loaf pan. Double the recipe to use a 9X13-inch pan.
Yes you can! You can top the homemade treats with festive sprinkles!
Storing and Freezing
Do NOT store the chocolate covered Rice Krispie Treats in the fridge. When they are cold, they become hard as a rock. Keep them at covered at room temperature in an airtight container to keep them soft. They will last up to 5 days.
I don't recommend freezing these because they will lose their gooey factor.
Other No Bake Recipes To Try
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispies Treats
Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 10 oz Mini marshmallows
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups Rice Krispies
- ¾ cup Mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 16 Pretzels
- Flaky sea salt
Rice Krispie Treats
- Spray an 8X8" pan with baking non-stick spray. Set aside. Using a large sauce pan, melt the butter on medium. Once the butter is bubbling, add in the mini marshmallows. Stir until it is just melty and gooey. Remove from heat. Add in salt and vanilla. Stir.
- Add in Rice Krispies. Fold in gently using a rubber spatula. Then, let it sit for 2 minutes. Pour in ½ of the mini chocolate chips. Fold these in exactly 3 times. Any more, and the chocolate chips with melt. Pour immediately into 8X8" pan.
- Spread Rice Krispies around the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the mini chocolate chips. Press these in using your fingers. Let it set for 30 minutes. They should be set but still gooey.
- Pour chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Mix the chocolate until smooth and glossy. Take Rice Krispies treats out of pan. Spread chocolate over the Rice Krispies treats. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes. Cut the treats into 16 pieces. Top with the pretzels and flaky sea salt. Serve right away.