These chocolate Rice Krispie treats are very easy and SUPER gooey and they are the best Rice Krispies I have ever had. They are extra buttery and filled with brown butter and mini chocolate chips. This is way better than a classic Rice Krispie treat!
These chocolate Rice Krispie treats are made so they are extra gooey. Even more gooey than a normal homemade Rice Krispie treat. The secret is extra butter and less cereal.
They are full of mini chocolate chips which makes them extra chocolatey. They are my favorite treat for kids.
Why This Recipe Works
- Gooey marshmallow texture- These cereal treats are extra soft and gooey.
- Chocolate- They are full of a ton of chocolate chips which makes them perfect for chocolate lovers!
- Easy to make- They are really easy to bake. Kids can help make them!
- No bake- You don't need to turn on the oven for this treat.
Here are some notes on the ingredients for these gooey treat. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter gets melted and browned.
- Mini marshmallows- You want to use a whole 10oz bag of mini marshmallows. I don't recommend regular sized marshmallows. They don't melt as fast as the minis.
- Rice krispie- You can actually use cereal, but I used Rice krispie cereal.
- Mini chocolate chips- These are best because they give them mini pockets of chocolate. You can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips, but the mini chocolates chips are a lot better.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these Rice Krispie treats. This recipe you will need an 8X8-inch square pan, rubber spatula, and a large saucepan.
STEP 1: Brown the butter. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Let the butter cook, it will first begin foaming, then it the milk deposits will separate on the bottom. Then, the butter will turn amber in color.
STEP 2: Melt the marshmallows. Mix in the miniature marshmallows and mix until they are just melted. It is important to take it off the heat immediately. You don't want to over cook the marshmallows.
Then, stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
STEP 3: Stir in the Rice Krispies. Pour in the cereal and fold in the butter until completely mixed together. Then, let it sit for 2 minutes to slightly cool and set together.
STEP 4: Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Fold in the mini chocolate chips into the cereal mixture, and mix it by stirring for a total of 3 times. Don't overmix because then the chocolate will get too muddy.
STEP 5: Pour the mixture. Press the marshmallow treats into the bottom of the pan. Pour into the pan as soon as you are done mixing in the chocolate. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
Let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour before cutting into them. They are best served immediately.
Expert Baking Tips
- To easily remove the treats from the pan, make sure to spray the pan with baking nonstick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. Then, you can pull on the parchment paper to lift them out of the pan.
- It is important to press the rice krispie treats mixture into the pan immediately. If you wait, it will become very hard to mold into the pan.
- Do not stick the treats into the fridge. This will cause to be really hard. If you want gooey treats, let them be at room temperature.
What Else Can I Use?
If you want to try different mix ins for this, I recommend these:
- Crushed chocolate chip cookies
- Peanut butter chips
- Honey roasted nuts
- Caramel drizzle
You can use Chex, fruity pebbles, lucky charms, cheerios, a lot of cereals can work.
You can have thinner crispy treats if you use a 9X9-inch baking pan. Half the recipe to use a loaf pan. Double the recipe to use a 9X 13-inch baking pan.
No, it won't melt correctly into these treats. You need to use mini marshmallows.
Store the chocolate Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature. Store up to 5 days.
Other Bar Recipes To Try
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 7 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 10 oz Mini Marshmallows 1 whole bag
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Spray an 8X8 pan with non-stick baking spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter. Heat until the butter milk deposits separate and turn amber in color.7 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Add the entire bag of marshmallows and stir with a rubber spatula. Stir until the marshmallows are just melted. Take off the heat. Add in the vanilla and salt and stir.10 oz Mini Marshmallows, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Fold in the Rice Krispies until the butter is mixed in. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Pour in the mini chocolate chips. Fold in the chocolate chips very gently, only 3 times. If you work it too much the chocolates gets muddied into the treats.4 cups Rice Krispies, 1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Pour the Rice Krispies directly into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle extra mini chocolate chips on top if desired.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. They should be gooey and soft. Store covered at room temperature.