This cookies and cream cake is a layered chocolate cake full of Oreo whipped cream cheese filling. The cake is topped with Oreo frosting and a chocolate drip. This Oreo drip cake has the most softest chocolate cake with filling that taste like an Oreo pie.
This cookies and cream cake is an Oreo cookie lovers dream. My favorite part is the filling. It is whipped cream cheese full of chopped Oreos. It tastes just like an Oreo no bake pie filling!
The chocolate cake layers are super soft and the cake is topped with an Oreo buttercream frosting. There is plenty of Oreos in this dessert! It is perfect for special occasions!
Why This Recipe Works
- Moist chocolate cake- This is a 3 layer cake that is crazy moist full of chocolate flavor. It is my best chocolate cake recipe! The cake recipe does not require a mixer.
- Oreo whipped cream cheese filling- The filling has the perfect level of sweetness and it is mixed with chopped Oreos. It has more Oreos on top of the filling on each layer.
- Oreo frosting- The frosting is a buttercream full of Oreo crumbs.
- Chocolate drip- Chocolate ganache is poured on top of the cake and is dripped down the sides of the cake.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- I used Dark Hershey's cocoa powder. This gives the cake a more rich chocolate taste.
- Oil- For best results, use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- Pull this out 2 hours before baking. You can also use 1 cup whole milk and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Hot water- It needs to be steaming hot water. This will help the chocolate flavor bloom and results in a very soft cake.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese and pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure it is sifted to avoid any grittiness.
- Oreos- Use regular Oreos. You will need one regular pack of Oreos. Double stuff Oreos lead to too much moisture.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needs to be slightly cold before using in the frosting.
- Chocolate chips- Use semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. Milk chocolate chips will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder together. This prevents any dry lumps getting into the batter.
Then, add in white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Once it is mixed, very slowly add in the hot water.
The hot water needs to be steaming, so heat on the stove in a saucepan. Slowly add in the hot water, so it doesn't over cook the eggs. No scrambled eggs here!
STEP 3: Add the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Pour the wet ingredients in and use a whisk to mix. Don't over mix! The batter will be very runny.
Then, pour the cake batter evenly through out the cake pans.
STEP 4: Bake the cake. Bake the cake layers for 20-25 minutes.
STEP 5: Cool. Let the cake layers sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes. Then, cool completely on a wire rack.
Step By Step Instructions- Filling
This is for the Oreo whipped cream cheese filling. You will need 1 mixing bowl, one metal bowl, stand mixer or a hand mixer (electric mixer), and whisk attachment.
STEP 1: Freeze the bowl. The metal bowl and the whisk attachments needs to be frozen for 10 minutes so they are cold for the whipped cream.
STEP 2: Mix the cream cheese. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on high speed for 1 minute. Then, add in vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix these until smooth.
STEP 3: Make the whipped cream. In the cold bowl, beat the heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
STEP 4: Fold in the whipped cream. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture using a rubber spatula. Be gentle, so you don't knock the air out of the whipped cream.
Store the whipped cream cheese in the fridge. Add the Oreos right before using.
Step By Step Instructions- Frosting
For the frosting, this recipe uses a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
STEP 1: Pull out the butter. Pull the butter out for 30 minutes for it to get slightly cold. While you wait, use a food processor to blend the Oreos into a fine crumb.
Also, sift the powdered sugar and add the Oreo crumbs to that.
STEP 2: Beat the butter. Beat the butter on high speed for 3 minutes. Then, add in the powdered sugar and Oreo crumbs slowly on low speed.
STEP 3: Add the wet ingredients. Then, add in the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Beat the frosting on high for 1-2 minutes until it is fluffy.
Assembling The Cake Tips
- Start by using a serrated knife to make sure the cake layers are flat and even.
- Place the first cake layer bottom side down. Then, spread ¾ cup of frosting over the cake. Pipe a border around the edge of the cake by using a piping bag. Spread half of the filling inside of the border.
- Repeat with the second cake layer. For the final cake layer, place it down with bottom of the cake facing up.
- Lightly frost the cake. Frost the sides of the cake with a light layer of frosting and freeze for 15 minutes. This will set the crumbs, and the final layer of frosting won't have cake crumbs in it.
- Frost the rest of the cake using a cake scrapper to make it into smooth sides.
- Freeze the cake for 10 minutes before adding the chocolate drip. This helps to slow the chocolate from running everywhere.
- Make the chocolate ganache. Make sure it isn't too hot before pouring it on top of the cake. Pour half of it and press it toward the edges of the cake. Then, use the rest of the chocolate.
- Before adding extra decoration, freeze the drip for 10 minutes to set it.
Yes you can! Half the recipe to make 12 cupcakes. I also have this Oreo cupcake recipe.
This recipe can make one 9X13 inch cake, three or four layered 6 inch cake, or two 9 inch layered cake.
Yes you can skip the whipped cream cheese filling. Multiply the frosting by 1.5X if you are doing just a frosting filling.
Storing and Freezing
Store this cookies and cream cake in the fridge in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Chill up to 5 days.
The un frosted cake layers can be frozen. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
The decorated individual cake slices can be frozen as well. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Cookies and Cream Cake
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups White granulated sugar
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ¾ cup Oil vegetable or canola
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Hot Water hot and steaming
Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Sifted powdered sugar
- ½ cup Heavy cream cold
- 12 Oreos chopped into small and medium pieces
- 9 Oreos fine crumbs
- 2 cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 6 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Ganache Drip
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Heavy whipping cream
- 5-8 Oreos for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray three 8X2 inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray. Place 8 inch parchment circle on the bottom and spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and sugar together.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 ¾ cups White granulated sugar, 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs. Heat the hot water on the stove, then very slowly pour the hot water into the wet ingredients. Whisk well while stiring.1 cup Buttermilk, ¾ cup Oil, 4 Large eggs, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 cup Hot Water
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Whisk together until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Evenly spread batter into the three cake pans. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
- Beat cream cheese on high using a hand mixer. Mix for 1 minute. Add in sifted powdered sugar and vanilla.4 oz Cream cheese, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 ½ cups Sifted powdered sugar
- Freeze metal bowl and whisk attachment for 10 minutes. Then, whip the heavy cream in the cold bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form.½ cup Heavy cream
- Pour whipped cream on top of cream cheese. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the whipped cream in.
- Chill the whipped cream cheese in the fridge covered until ready to use. Fold in Oreos rights before using.12 Oreos
- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. While waiting, sift the powdered sugar. Use a food processer to blend the Oreos into a fine crumb.2 cups Unsalted butter, 6 cups Powdered sugar, 9 Oreos
- Beat butter for 3 minutes on high speed until light and fluffy. Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar and Oreo crumbs. It will be very thick.
- Add in heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Mix on low until combined. Switch to high speed and beat for 1-3 minutes until the frosting is very creamy.2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Ganache Drip
- Only make this right before using on the cake. Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl and set aside. Heat heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Pour over chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir until glossy and smooth.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¾ cup Heavy whipping cream
- Spread a small amount of frosting on the bottom on your cake stand. Place first layer of cake bottom side down.
- Spread ¾ cup of frosting over the cake. Pipe a border or frosting around the edge of the cake. Spread half of the Oreo whipped cream cheese on top. It should be completely even with the border of frosting.
- Repeat with the second layer. Place last cake layer with the bottom of the cake facing up.
- Apply a light layer of frosting around the cake. Freeze for 15 minutes for it to set and lock in the crumbs. Then, frost the rest of the cake. Freeze the cake for 10 minutes if adding a chocolate drip.
- Make chocolate ganache. Pour half of the ganache on top of the cake. Use an offset spatula and push the chocolate off the edge of the cake to create the drips. Pour the rest of the chocolate on top of the cake.
- Freeze the cake for 10 minutes to set the chocolate. Then, top with the extra Oreos for decoration.5-8 Oreos for decoration