This millionaire shortbread combines the classic version with a bit of salty pretzel. There is a pretzel shortbread cookie base. It is filled with salted caramel and topped with chocolate ganache and pretzel crumbs. These are surprisingly easy to make!
These pretzel millionaire shortbread taste like the classic millionare shortbread. They have a buttery base with a chewy salted caramel and a chocolate top.
What makes these different is the pretzel crumbs in the base and on top! It helps to tone down the sweetness.
Why You Will Love This
- Really easy recipe!- When I first made this, I thought it would be intimidating. In fact, it was so simple to make. The layers make it seems so impressive!
- Pretzel shortbread- The shortbread is super buttery, but there are pretzel crumbs added. This really helps to tone down the sweetness
- Salted caramel- This caramel is made with sweetened condensed milk, and it is EASY to make. I added extra vanilla and salt to the caramel to give it extra flavor.
- Chocolate Ganache- The chocolate on top is easy to make. It is very shiny because it has corn syrup!
These are some notes about the ingredients that are used.
- Butter- Make sure butter is room temperature before using. Pull it out 2 hours before baking.
- Egg yolk- The shortbread doesn't need much moisture. It needs just a little from the egg yolk.
- Pretzel crumbs- You can use any pretzels you like. They should be blended into small pieces.
- Sweetened condensed milk- Use the whole container.
- Light corn syrup- Don't skip this. This really helps bring the caramel together.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make these entire shortbread bars.
STEP 1: Pretzel shortbread. First, spray an 8X8 pan with baking spray. Then, combine the pretzel crumbs with the dry ingredients. Use a mixer to beat the butter and sugars. It will be very light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla.
STEP 2: Add in the dry ingredients. Press the cookie dough into the pan. Bake for 20 minutes for it get lightly golden on the edges. Let it cool.
STEP 3: Caramel. Mix the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Make sure to use a whisk and watch this like a hawk. Mix until the butter melts and it lightly starts to bubble. Keep mixing until the caramel turns amber like in these pictures.
STEP 4: Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread. Let it cool for at least an hour.
STEP 5: Chocolate ganache. Heat the heavy cream, corn syrup, and vanilla until hot. Pour over the chocolate chips and let it sit. Then, mix until it is smooth and silky. Pour the chocolate over the caramel.
STEP 6: Let it chill for 30 minutes. Then, cut it into squares and top with pretzel crumbs.
How To Get A Perfect Slice
The trick here is to use a warm sharp knife. After each single slice, wipe the blade.
That's the secret! Be patient if you want a perfect slice!
When making the pretzel shortbread, it will be very wet and soft. To press it into the pan, you can place wax paper over the dough to press it down. This prevents it from sticking to your hands.
The biggest tip to make the caramel is to mix constantly and be patient. It takes longer to turn amber in color than regular caramel. Keep stirring and it will eventually turn.
These are best cold, so I recommend keeping these in the fridge.
These are perfect to be made ahead of time. They taste even better when they are cold.
No, you don't have to. I just like the saltiness from them.
This is likely due to it burning a tiny bit on the bottom. Then, the burnt bits get mixed in making it appear grainy. This happened to me the first time. It is important to use a whisk and to whisk well to avoid this. It will still taste good!
I have not recipe tested this with no eggs. If you make this with no eggs, let me know!
These millionaire shortbread bars need to be stored in the fridge in an air tight container. They will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Other Bar Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon Brown sugar packed light
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Pretzel crumbs
- 14 oz Sweetened condensed milk whole can
- ½ cup Unsalted butter cubed room temperature
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup Light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Light corn syrup
- Pretzel crumbs for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8X8 pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a food processor/blender grind pretzels into a fine crumb. Pour into a mixing bowl. In the same bowl, mix the flour and salt. Set aside.1 cup All-purpose flour, ½ cup Pretzel crumbs, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on medium-high for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in egg yolk and vanilla. Mix on medium until combined.5 tablespoon White granulated sugar, 5 tablespoon Brown sugar, 1 Egg yolk, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Mix in the dry ingredients until combined. Spread the cookie base into the pan. It should be compacted on the bottom and not go up the sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The edges should be lightly golden brown. Let it slightly cool while you make the caramel.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the sweetened condensed milk, butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Mix until the butter is well melted. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat to medium-low. Stir for about 10-15 minutes until the caramel turns amber in color.14 oz Sweetened condensed milk, ½ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup Light corn syrup
- Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour immediately over the shortbread. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Pour chocolate chips into a bowl. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir the heavy cream, vanilla, and corn syrup together. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ½ cup Heavy cream, ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Light corn syrup
- Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir gently until smooth and silky. If any chocolate chunks remain, heat in the microwave for 10 second intervals until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate onto the bars. Use a spatula to evenly smooth. Place back in the fridge for 30 minutes at least. The chocolate needs to harden slightly.
- Take the bars out of the pan. Cut into squares. Sprinkle pretzel crumbs on top. These are best cold.Pretzel crumbs