Mini funfetti cheesecakes are the ultimate birthday treat. These are to celebrate my husband's 30th birthday. They have a golden Oreo crust and a funfetti cheesecake baked in a muffin tin. It is topped with a homemade whipped cream with extra sprinkles. These mini cheesecakes are just fun!
Birthday Mini Cheesecakes
My husband's birthday is in December and I wanted something that was fun and bright to celebrate his birthday. The idea of mini funfetti cheesecakes was born.
They have a golden Oreo crust to go with the birthday theme. (Also, golden Oreos don't get used enough!) The mini cheesecakes are baked in a muffin tin which means they are easy to share at a party. Although, this is 2020 so we just shared with each other.
To top these perfect cheesecakes is a homemade whipped cream. It makes these mini cheesecakes feel so light and and creamy.
How To Make Golden Oreo Crust
Since golden Oreos have the cream center, this provides extra moisture to the crumbs. You won't need as much butter to make sure the crumbs are wet!
Start by blending up the Oreos in a food processor or a blender. Pulse until it is a fine crumb.
Then, mix the crumbs and melted butter together until it is nice and wet. It should resemble wet sand.
Next, take 1 tablespoon and compact the crumbs in the scoop. Place each scoop of crumbs into the muffin tin already lined with muffin liner.
To compact the crust, I use the back of a spice jar. You can also use a ⅛ measuring cup.
Since these are so small, you won't need to bake the crust ahead of time.
Tips To Make Funfetti Cheesecake Batter
- Room temperature ingredients- Pull all of the dairy ingredients out 2 hours before baking. This will not only ensure a better rise, but it was also create a lighter cheesecake.
- Use a mixer- You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. It does require a mixer to beat the cream cheese.
- Beat the cream cheese- The cream cheese needs to be beaten on medium-high for 1 minute before adding the sugar. This will make sure the cream cheese is light and fluffy. Then, repeat once you add in the sugar.
- Add in sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla- The sour cream and heavy cream are what make these so creamy and light. Make sure to mix well to make sure no sour cream lumps remain.
- Add in egg on low- To prevent these cheesecakes from cracking, add in the egg on low. Low speed prevents additional air from getting into the cheesecake.
Once the cheesecake is done, fold in the sprinkles.
What Type Of Sprinkles To Use?
The sprinkles to use are the long rainbow jimmies. Since they are longer, they won't bleed as much into the cheesecake. You can buy these sprinkles from your grocery store or arts and crafts store.
However, my favorite sprinkles are from Sweetapolia. They are much higher quality than Wilton. Not an ad, I just love these a lot!
I do advise to not use the rainbow nonpareils, the small round ones, they are too small and will bleed everywhere.
Scooping The Batter
Use a regular cookie scoop to scoop the batter into each muffin liner. I do one scoop per liner, and whatever batter is leftover gets divided through the muffin tip.
Next, bake the cheesecakes for 16-20 minutes. Be careful to not over bake. The cheesecakes are done baking when there is a tiny jiggle in the middle.
How Long To Chill
Once the mini funfetti cheesecakes are done cooling on the counter, place them in the fridge.
For cheesecake, both large and small, it needs to be chilled before eating. Chilling in the fridge will create a denser texture and the flavor will basically marinate. It will create a rich cheesecake.
Chill these for at least 6 hours. I prefer to make these a day ahead and chill overnight.
Once they are done chilling, take off the muffin liners before you decorate.
Decorating Mini Cheesecakes
First, make the whipped cream. Homemade whipped cream is super easy to make and tastes way better than any you can buy at the store.
First, start by freezing a metal bowl and whisk attachment for 10 minutes. A cold bowl will make it SO much easier whip up the cream.
Then, pour everything in the cold bowl and whip on high. Stiff peaks refer to when you take off the attachment and the cream stands straight up. It should be in a pipeable consistency.
Now, pipe the whipped cream on top of the cheesecakes. Top with extra sprinkles and half of a golden Oreo.
How To Store Cheesecakes
These mini cheesecakes should be stored in an air tight container in the fridge. They will last up to 5 days.
Can They Be Frozen
Yes they can! After the initial 6 hour chilling in the fridge, wrap them tightly in cling wrap. Then, store in an air tight container. They will last up to 30 days in the freezer.
Place the mini cheesecakes in the fridge 48 hours before decorating to thaw.
Other Cheesecake Recipes To Try
- Mini chocolate cheesecakes
- Mini s'mores cheesecakes
- Salted caramel mini cheesecakes
- Chocolate bar cheesecake
Mini Funfetti Cheesecakes
Golden Oreo Crust
- 1 ½ cups Golden Oreo crumbs
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- 8 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- ⅛ cup Sour cream room temperature
- ⅛ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Clear vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- ⅓ cup Sprinkles colorful jimmies sprinkles
- 1 cup Heavy cream cold
- 2 tablespoon Powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 6 Golden Oreos cut in half
- Sprinkles for decoration
Golden Oreo Crust
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Use a food processor/ blender to blend golden Oreos into fine crumbs. Mix golden Oreo crumbs and melted butter together using a fork. Use 1 tablespoon to pack and scoop crust into muffin tin. Use a ⅛ cup measuring cup or a spice jar to compact the crust. Set aside.
- Use a mixer, and beat the cream cheese on medium-high for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and add the sugar. Beat for 1 minute. Add in sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add in egg and mix on low until combined. Scrape the bowl halfway through. Take bowl off the mixer and add in sprinkles. Use a rubber spatula and fold in the sprinkles.
- Use a cookie scoop to evenly scoop the batter on top of the crust.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes. The cheesecake should have a slight jiggle in the middle and the edges should be set.
- Turn off the oven and prop open the oven door. Let the cheesecakes sit in the oven for 15 minutes. Then, transfer mini cheesecakes to a cooling rack.
- Allow them to cool completely. Store in an air tight container and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
- Freeze a metal bowl and whisk attachments for 10 minutes
- Pour heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla together in the cold bowl. Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Take wrappers off the cheesecakes. Pipe whipped cream on top of mini cheesecakes. Top with half a golden Oreo and sprinkles. Store in the fridge.