These muddy buddy cookies are chewy peanut butter cookies filled and topped with muddy buddies! (a.k.a. puppy chow). These are better than Crumbl cookies! They will be your new favorite cookie!
These muddy buddy cookies are SO good. They combine the soft texture of a soft peanut butter cookie with crisp cereal. The peanut butter and chocolate flavors are also the absolute best combination of flavors and perfectly balanced.
For other unique cookie recipes try, Fruity Pebble Cookies, Red Velvet Cookies, and Apple Pie Cookies.
Why This Recipe Works
- Delicious cookie- These are my new favorite cookies. Putting muddy buddy snack mix in cookie form was an great idea. This recipe is a big step of from Crumbl muddy buddy cookies.
- Easy recipe- These cookies are very simple to make. They are essentially a classic peanut butter cookie with muddy buddies mixed in. The muddy buddy recipe is only 2 steps, too.
- Perfect textures- These cookies combine chewy cookies with crunchy cereal and the result is so much fun to eat! They are perfect cookies!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Melt this before you need it so it has time to cool to room temperature.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar for this, but dark will work as well.
- Peanut butter- I used regular grocery store peanut butter. Natural peanut butter could affect the texture of the cookies. I prefer creamy peanut butter, especially for coating the muddy buddies smoothly.
- Eggs- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get it to room temperature.
- Chocolate chips- I recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips as milk chocolate chips will be sweeter.
- Rice Chex- Rice Chex is the classic cereal for muddy buddies, but any light crispy cereal should be fine. I recommend a mild flavor as the chocolate coating brings plenty of flavor already.
- Sparkle Sugar- Any decorating sugar will work. This gives a crispy and sweet coating and makes the cookies look even better. Granulated will work just fine, too.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these muddy buddy cookies.
STEP 1: Make muddy buddy coating. Put the peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips in a glass measuring cup. Heat it in the microwave for 30 second intervals and mix until it is combined.
Add in the vanilla and salt.
STEP 2: Mix muddy buddies. Mix together the chex cereal and chocolate mixture in a medium bowl. Once coated, place it in a large ziplock bag and add the powdered sugar. Shake the bag until they are coated.
STEP 3: Dry ingredients. Sift together the all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients. Beat the melted room temperature butter, brown sugar, and sugar together for 2 minutes on high speed.
Then, add the vanilla extract, peanut butter, and eggs. Mix on medium speed until combined.
STEP 5: Combine. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed to combine. Then, take the dough off the mixer and fold the muddy buddies in using a rubber spatula.
STEP 6: Rest dough. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. Meanwhile, let the dough sit for 10 minutes to properly absorb the flour.
STEP 7: Scoop dough. Use a 2TBSP or 2 oz cookie scoop to scoop 6 dough balls per cookie sheet. Roll each cookie dough ball in the sparkling sugar. Then, place the dough ball on the sheet and slightly flatten it.
STEP 8: Bake cookies. Bake the cookies 1 baking sheet at a time for 12-14 minutes until the edges are light golden brown. Immediately place extra muddy buddy pieces on top of the cookies while they are hot.
Let the cookies sit in the hot pan for 5 minutes of cooling time before transferring to a cooling rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet. If they are still spreading too much this could be the butter was too warm before adding the ingredients. If it still spreads too much, you chill the cookie dough balls for 10-15 minutes.
- If you live at high altitude, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
- The cookies should be slightly underdone, because they will continue to cook as they cool. This helps to make sure they have chewy centers.
Yes you can. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
Yes they can! Store the cookie dough balls in an airtight container or use plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 days. Let the cookie dough balls thaw before baking. The muddy buddies inside may not be as crispy, so I recommend topping the cookies with fresh muddy buddies to keep the crunch.
Yes you can. However, I recommend making them into cookie dough balls first before chilling overnight. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Make sure they come to room temperature before baking.
Storing and Freezing
Store the muddy buddy cookies at room temperature in an air-tight container up to 5 days.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container, such as a freezer bag, and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Gourmet Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Muddy Buddy Cookies
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup Peanut butter you can use creamy or crunchy
- ⅔ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Rice chex cereal or any type of cereal like chex.
- ¾ cups Powdered sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Muddy Buddies
- Sparkle sugar or white granulated sugar to roll the cookies in.
- In a glass measuring cup, add the butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. Heat in 30 second intervals and mix well until mixed. Add in the vanilla and salt.2 tablespoon Unsalted butter, ⅓ cup Peanut butter, ⅔ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- In a medium bowl, mix the chex cereal and the chocolate mixture. Coat the cereal and then place in a big ziplock bag. Add in the powdered sugar and shake well until coated.3 cups Rice chex cereal, ¾ cups Powdered sugar
- Place the muddy buddies on a cookie sheet and let sit for 10-15 minutes until the chocolate is set.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the melted butter (make sure it is cooled to room temperature before using), brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. It will become pale in color.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, 1 cup White granulated sugar
- Add the vanilla, peanut butter, and eggs. Mix on medium until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 cup Peanut butter, 2 Large eggs
- Take off the mixer. Add the muddy buddies and gently fold it in using a rubber spatula.1 ½ cups Muddy Buddies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Let the cookie dough sit for 10 minutes for the flour to absorb into the dough.
- Scoop using a 2 tablespoon or 2 oz cookie scoop. Scoop 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Roll each cookie dough ball into the sparkling sugar. Place on the cookie sheet and slightly press on the dough balls to flatten them.Sparkle sugar
- Bake 1 cookie sheet at a time. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges of the cookie are lightly golden brown. While warm, top immediately with extra muddy bubby pieces.
- Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Leave a Reply