These mummy cookies are super fudgy brownie cookies with white chocolate drizzled on top with candy eyes. They look like little mummies and are perfect for Halloween!
These mummy cookies are an easy treat that look great at any Halloween party. During the Halloween season you need fun Halloween cookies to share and these adorable mummy cookies are perfect! They are easy to make and cute!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy recipe- These cookies are cute enough to steal the show, but are simple to make!
- Fudgy brownie cookies- These fudgy brownie cookies are popular any time of the year! It is hard to eat just one.
- White chocolate drizzle- The white chocolate drizzle on top not only looks great, but tastes SO good with the brownie cookies. Mummy bandages never tasted so good.
- Halloween Treats- These Halloween mummy cookies are perfect for Halloween parties. This mummy cookies recipe will be a hit at any event this time of year.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White All-purpose Flour- I used Bob's Red Mill flour because they have the most high quality flour!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results use Dutch-process cocoa powder for a more rich cookie. I used this one.
- Melted chocolate- I used two of the Lindt 70% chocolate bars. It needs to be melted and cooled before using.
- Unsalted butter- It needs to be cooled after melting, so prepare it slightly before you use it.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs + Egg yolk- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking. The extra egg yolk helps with the fudgy texture!
- Chocolate chips- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet!
- Candy eyes- I used these Candy eyes. Any candy eyes around the size of an M&M should work.
- White chocolate- If you are unable to use a white chocolate bar, high quality white chocolate chips can be used. Use a good quality like Ghirardelli.
The Best Quality of Flour
The best part about these cookies is the soft and fudgy cookie texture. I prefer to bake with Bob's Red Mill flour because with a protein content of 10-12%, it lends a lighter texture as opposed to the typical 13% of other all purpose flours.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these mummy cookies. You will need an electric mixer. A stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer will work.
STEP 1: Melt the chocolate. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a microwave save bowl and melt into 15-20 second intervals until melted.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder together. Then, add the baking powder and salt.
STEP 3: Beat the sugar and eggs. In a large bowl using a mixer, beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed for 3 minutes.
STEP 4: Mix in butter, vanilla and chocolate. Add the melted unsalted butter, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate. Mix on high speed for 1 minute.
STEP 5: Add the flour mixture. Mix in the dry ingredients mix using a rubber spatula until just combined. Then add in the chocolate chips as well.
STEP 6: Chill. Place the cookie dough in the fridge for 10-15 minutes while the oven preheats. It needs a very short chill time.
STEP 7: Bake. Using a large cookie scoop (3 Tablespoons), scoop 6 cookie dough balls each on cookie sheets with parchment paper. Bake one of your prepared baking sheets at a time for 13-15 minutes.
Let them sit in the hot pan for 5 minutes before you place your cookie on a wire rack to cool.
STEP 8: Decorate. Melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 20 second intervals. Make sure to stir very well so there are no lumps.
Drizzle the melted white chocolate on top of the cookies in zig zags. A squeeze bottle or piping bag with a small round tip is easiest (a thick plastic bag can work). Add the candy eyeballs to complete the mummy look. See the pictures for guidance.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet. If it still spreads too much, you chill the cookie dough balls for 10-15 minutes.
- If you live at high altitude, add an extra 1 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
- The cookies should be slightly underdone, because they will continue to cook as they cool. This helps to make sure they have chewy centers.
- When the cookies are fresh out of the oven, use a large biscuit cutter to scoot the cookies to perfect circles. Then, top with extra chocolate chips and sea salt flakes.
Storing and Freezing
Store these brownie mummy cookies in an airtight container up to 5 days at room temperature.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Seasonal Cookie Recipes To Try
- 8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bars I use Lindt 70% chocolate.
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz White chocolate bar melted to go on top of the cookies
- 24 Candy eyes
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the semi-sweet chocolate in 20 second intervals and mix well in-between each interval until melted. Let it cool.8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bars
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Mix in the baking powder and salt. Set aside.1 cup All-purpose flour, ⅓ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed for 3 minutes. Add the melted butter, vanilla, and melted chocolate and mix on high speed for 1 minute.½ cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk
- Add the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined. Then, add in the chocolate chips.1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place the cookie dough in the fridge for 10 minutes to slightly firm up.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough. Place 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are set. Let it sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate bar in 20 second intervals until melted. Make sure to stir very well.4 oz White chocolate bar
- Drizzle white chocolate on top of cookies and add the candy eyes so they look like mummies.24 Candy eyes