These Nutella stuffed cookies are thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies. In the middle is frozen Nutella that is rolled into the cookie dough. Once baked, the cookies have gooey Nutella that oozes out of the cookie. Stuffed cookies are guaranteed to impress your friends!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
These cookies are a chocolate chip cookie stuffed with Nutella! Here are tips for making the dough
- Room temperature butter and eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking. Don't use cold butter! Otherwise it won't aerate while beating with the sugar and create the chewy texture.
- Beat butter and sugars- Use a stand or hand mixer to beat until all of the butter is mixed in and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and eggs- You can add all of these in and then beat until mixed together. Scrape the bowl to make sure the butter is thoroughly mixed in.
- Dry ingredients- Mix in the dry ingredients slowly.
- Add in chocolate chips- For best results, add in chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips.
The key to rolling Nutella into the cookies is to make sure it is frozen!
If you are making big cookies with a 3oz scoop, drop 2 tsp of Nutella on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Make 16 piles.
If you are making regular sized cookies, drop 1 tsp of Nutella. Make 36 piles.
Nutella will melt VERY fast. So, freeze for 1 hour and keep the tray in the freezer while you work.
Rolling The Dough
The cookies need to chill first for 30 minutes. This will start to chill the butter and the dough will be less sticky.
Then, scoop all of the dough using your cookie scoop. Then, take 1 cookie dough ball at a time and flatten it in your hand. Flatten it into a thin disc.
Next, place the frozen Nutella into the cookie dough disc and wrap the dough around the Nutella. Remember to keep the Nutella tray in the freezer while you work! Then, roll the cookie dough into an even ball.
Once the cookie dough is all rolled, place back in the fridge for 20 minutes. This will make the Nutella is cold. The goal is to get the dough cold before baking.
Baking The Cookies
Bake the cookies in the oven for 13-15 minutes. Place 6 cookie dough balls spaced out on the cookie sheet, Bake until the edges are golden brown.
Tips To Prevent Spreading
- Less butter- In this recipe, I used 14TBSP of butter instead of 1 cup. Since Nutella is already oily, the extra butter caused the cookies to spread, so I reduced the butter slightly and added an extra ¼ cup of flour.
- Use parchment paper on cookie sheet- Don't use silicone baking mats or cook the cookies directly on the cookie sheet. Both are "slippery" for the cookies and they will spread more. I buy these sheets of parchment paper.
Topping The Cookies
To get perfectly round cookies, use a spoon or a round large biscuit cutter to scoot the dough into circles.
Then, top the cookies with extra chocolate chips and flaky sea salt.
Storing The Cookies
The Nutella stuffed cookies will need to be kept at room temperature in an air tight container. They will last up to 5 days.
Freezing The Cookie Dough Balls
You can freeze the Nutella stuffed cookie dough balls. Once they are rolled with the Nutella. Store the cookie dough balls in an air tight container in the freezer.
Once you are ready to bake, place them on the cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes. When frozen, they take an extra few minutes.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
- Brown butter chocolate chip cookies
- Sprinkle chocolate chip cookies
- Reese's peanut butter cup cookies
- Caramel chocolate chip cookies
Nutella Stuffed Cookies
- 32 tsp Nutella
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Salt
- 14 TBSP Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Place wax paper over a cookie. For large cookies, spoon 2 tsp of Nutella per cookie. Make 16 piles of 2 tsp of Nutella. For smaller cookies only do 1 tsp. Freeze for at least an hour.
- Mix flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat until the butter is light and fluffy. Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl to make sure all the butter is mixed in.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until combined. Add in chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes. Prep 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a large 3 oz cookie scoop to make large cookies. Scoop all the dough. Flatten each cookie one a time into a disc. Place Nutella in the middle of the dough and wrap the dough around the Nutella. Roll into a ball. Keep the Nutella in the freezer while you work because it melts very fast.
- Chill for another 20 minutes. Chilling prevents the cookies from spreading in the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 6 cookies per cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Bake until edges of cookies are golden brown. Use a spoon on the edges to make the cookie circular. Top with extra chocolate chips and tiny little pools of Nutella, Place on top while the cookies are warm for the chocolate to melt. Let cookies sit for 4 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.