These rocky road cookie bars are just like the rocky road ice cream! There is a double chocolate cookie bar. It even has extra chocolate chips and almonds. These bars have a layer of toasted marshmallows with extra almonds on top. They are so crowd pleasing!
Who doesn't love rocky road ice cream? I wanted to create a recipe that had all of the flavors of rocky road, but hasn't been done a million times.
When you bite into these bars, you go through a thick layer of fluffy marshmallow goodness and into the super chocolatey cookie bar. The bar has crisp edges but the center is so soft and gooey!
These bars require no chill time before baking and are as simple as making cookie dough! They are ready to go in the oven in 15 minutes.
Why You Will Love This
- Cookie Bar- This is a chocolate cookie bars with chocolate chips. It has a chewy center with crisp edges.
- Toasted Marshmallows- There is nothing better than toasted marshmallows!
- Easy To Make- They are incredibly easy to make, but all your friends will be impressed!
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Cocoa powder- I prefer this dutch process cocoa powder. It gives the bars a darker color and more rich chocolate flavor.
- Egg yolk- The extra egg yolk gives the bars a more gooey center.
- Chocolate chips- I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can also use milk chocolate chips. I don't recommend dark chocolate because it will be too bitter.
- Almonds- I used sliced almonds and then chopped those up.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: First, prepare a 9X9 inch pan with baking non-stick spray. Then, place a parchment paper on the bottom and 2 sides for easy removal from the pan later.
STEP 2: Sift the dry ingredients. They need to be sifted to avoid any flour clumps. Flour and cocoa powder can be packaged lumpy.
STEP 3: Next, beat the butter and sugars together. It will become very light and fluffy. Then, add in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk.
STEP 4: Then, add in the dry ingredients. Once combined, add in the chocolate chips and chopped almonds.
STEP 5: Place the cookie dough into the pan. Make sure to top with extra chocolate chips. Then, bake for 40 minutes. Immediately after they are done baking, top with marshmallows. Put as many as you can into the pan. Let the bars cool completely
STEP 6: Broil and torch the tops of the marshmallows. I used a torch here, but you can broil in the oven. Remove the parchment paper before browning the marshmallows. On my first attempt, I caught the parchment paper on fire! Ha.
I chose to add extra chopped almonds and mini chocolate chips. You can also add chocolate sauce or even serve with ice cream on the side.
No, these taste great without the almonds.
Absolutely! You can use walnuts or pecans. Make sure they are chopped though.
Yes you can! You can use minis or jumbo. They just need to fill the entire pan.
You can, but I haven't recipe tested it. I recommend the 1:1 gluten free flours. It may affect texture.
I haven't recipe tested this. If you do an egg substitute, let me know!
First, you need to pull out the butter and eggs 2 hours before baking. It will give you chewier rocky road cookie bars if everything is room temperature.
If your cookie bars sink in the middle that means they weren't cooked for long enough. To tell if they are cooked, there should be no jiggle in the middle. When you stick a toothpick in, it should have moist crumbs.
Another baking note is that they will continue to cook in the hot pan. Don't overbake.
If the marshmallows aren't sticking to the bars, turn the oven back to 350F and bake for 2-3 minutes before you broil to convince them to stick.
Cutting The Bars
To cut the bars, you will need a big sharp knife, hot water, and a cutting board. Cutting these is a really messy experience.
To make it easier, wash the knife with hot water after each cut. There will be a lot of marshmallow sticking to the knife.
Storing and Freezing
Store these rocky road cookie bars in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
I don't recommend freezing these because of the toasted marshmallow on top.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Rocky Road Cookie Bars
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Chopped almonds
- 1 ½ cups Chocolate chips plus more for the top
- 10 oz Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9X9 inch pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with a parchment paper and spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on medium-high until smooth and light. Add in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add in chopped almonds and chocolate chips. Spread the cookie dough into the pan evenly. Top with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the edges are set and there is no jiggle in the middle. Immediately, top with the marshmallows. Pack them in. Then, let the cookie bars cool completely in the tin before pulling them out.
- Turn the oven to broil on high. Place the entire cookie square on a cookie sheet and place in the oven. If you keep in the original pan the parchment could catch on fire. It will take 1-2 minutes for the marshmallows to brown. Next, cut the bars and top with extra almonds and mini chocolate chips.