This no-churn salted caramel brownie ice cream is swirled with homemade salted caramel and pieces of fudgy brownies. This ice cream is LOADED with mix in's and is so easy to make because no machine is required! This is seriously the ultimate summer ice cream.
How To Make No-Churn Salted Caramel Brownie Ice Cream
I have been on a no-churn ice cream summer kick! This ice cream tastes just like regular ice cream with no machine required. It takes only a few minutes to whip up and once frozen, you have homemade ice cream!
Now, normally to make the no-churn ice cream it needs whipped cream, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla. Seriously, that is it! Like any other ice cream, the mix in's are the best part. The homemade caramel and brownies put this ice cream over the top.
There are 3 steps to make this ice cream:
- Step 1- Make the salted caramel. Making salted caramel from scratch is very easy and only takes 15 minutes. The end result is 10X better than any store bought caramel.
- Step 2- Make the fudge brownies. This recipe is my go to brownie recipe. This time I did a slightly different method to get the classic wrinkled tops, but it is still just as fudgy.
- Step 3- Make the ice cream. Then, you swirl everything together to create the ultimate ice cream. It does need 12 hours in the freezer.
Homemade Salted Caramel
I love this salted caramel recipe. I used it over on my Snickers Cheesecake. To make the salted caramel, you will only need a sauce pan and a whisk!
Before you even start making it, you have to have the butter and heavy cream be room temperature. If not, the caramel will seize up and it won't be as silky.
Start by melting the sugar in a saucepan. It will start by slowly clumping up, but as the sugar melts it will be easier to stir. Keep stirring until all of the sugar crystals are melted.
Once the sugar is melted, the process goes very quickly. Stop whisking and let the caramel turn an amber color. For me, this took 30 seconds. Watch it like a hawk! It can quickly go from perfect amber to burnt. As soon as it's amber, take it off the heat.
Then stir in the butter. For best results, chop the butter into cubes and do half of the butter at a time. The caramel will bubble and steam a lot, keep stirring until it is all combined.
Next, add in the heavy cream. I also recommend doing half of the cream at a time. The addition of the cream will make it bubble, but once it is mixed in it will become smooth and silky.
Then, add in the vanilla and salt. The salt is what makes it salted caramel, but the vanilla is what puts this caramel over the edge.
As soon as you are done mixing, pour the caramel in a glass jar. It could be a mason jar or a glass measuring jar. Let it cool to room temperature before you put it in the ice cream.
Making The Salted Caramel Ahead Of Time
When I made this recipe, I made the caramel a day before making the ice cream. I have a toddler and have got to plan things out!
Once the caramel is made and completely cool, cover the jar with cling wrap. Keep it at room temperature until ready to use.
The caramel will thicken, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. This will create the smooth pourable consistency you need for the ice cream.
The FUDGIEST Brownies
I am the BIGGEST brownie fan. I like my brownies to be rich, chocolaty, and fudgy. This recipe I have used a lot on my website, but the peanut butter brownies are probably my favorite.
This time around, I did the baking method differently. Normally, the sugar gets mixed with the butter and everything is done by hand with a whisk. The end result is fudgy brownies with a normal top.
This time, the eggs and sugar are going to be whipped for 5 minutes using a mixer. The amount of air is what will create the stereotypical wrinkled brownie top. If using a stand mixer, make sure you use the whisk attachment. You can also use a hand mixer.
Then, mix your dry ingredients together. There is no rising agent because we want the most fudgy brownies!
Next, add in the melted butter, oil, and vanilla and mix on low. Then, take off the mixer and add in the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the dry ingredients. Be gentle, so you don't knock out any air from the eggs.
Then, add in the chocolate chips. The 3 different types of chocolate chips create a very rich and chocolaty brownie.
Baking The Fudgy Brownies
Once everything is mixed together, pour it into an 8X8 inch pan.
To make sure the brownies don't stick to the pan and they are easy to get out, spray the pan with non-stick baking spray. Then, line the pan with parchment paper on the bottom and up 2 sides of the pan.
Now bake! Bake the brownies for 35 minutes. If you want really fudgy brownies, bake for 30-35 minutes. The trick is to make sure the brownies are slightly underdone in the middle. If you want less fudgy brownies, bake for 35-40 minutes.
Once the brownies are done baking, they need to cool completely before cutting into them. Cutting them while hot will make the brownie just fall apart. Also, the chocolate flavor really blooms once it cools down.
I recommend placing the brownies in the freezer for 10 minutes before cutting into them. Slightly cold brownies hold their shape a lot better.
Making The No-Churn Salted Caramel Brownie Ice Cream
Okay, we got our components, now it is time to make the ice cream. The first thing is grab a pan that will fit all this ice cream. It has to be metal, but I used a 1lb loaf pan. You can also use an 8X3 inch cake pan as well. It just needs to have tall sides because it is a lot of ice cream!
The best tip for making this ice cream is to stick the metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes. It is SO much easier to whip up heavy cream when the bowl is cold.
Once the bowl is cold, beat the heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. Then, in a large mixing bowl mix together the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
For the brownies, cut them into 9 squares. Then, use 4-5 squares of brownies and cut those into bite size pieces. It all depends on how many mix ins you want. I ended up using 5 squares plus a little more for on top.
Add the brownie bites and mini chocolate chips to the bowl of sweetened condensed milk. Once the whipped cream is ready, add it to the bowl. Use a rubber spatula and very gently fold it in. Keep folding until everything is 100% mixed together.
Next, take the caramel and pour it on top of the ice cream. Use a knife to swirl the caramel into the ice cream.
Now, pour the ice cream into the tin, cover, and freeze!
Now the ice cream doesn't need it, but I put extra chopped brownie and swirled salted caramel on top of the ice cream before it went in the freezer.
Adding the extra toppings, just makes the ice cream look prettier. It also adds even more mix in's to your ice cream.
Since there is caramel in the ice cream, it will be a softer ice cream.
Serving The No-Churn Salted Caramel Brownie Ice Cream
Depending on if you add a lot of extra caramel on top, the ice cream will be soft. If that is the case, just grab a spoon and go to town!
If you only add a little bit of caramel on top or none at all, the ice cream will be pretty hard right out of the freezer. Let the ice cream sit on the counter for 5 minutes before digging in.
Other Recipes To Try
- Oreo and Hot Fudge Ice Cream
- Brookie Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
- S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peach Cobbler Cinnamon Swirl Biscuits
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats and leave me a review below if you made this ice cream. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Salted Caramel Brownie Ice Cream
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
- ½ cup Heavy cream Room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- ⅓ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
No churn Ice Cream
- 2 cups Heavy cream cold
- 14 oz Sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- 5 squares Brownies chopped.
- ⅓ cup Mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup Salted caramel
- Heat the sugar over medium heat. Use a whisk to stir the sugar continuously. It will start to slowly melt and clump up. Then it will start to deepen in color. Stir until all sugar crystals are melted. This will take between 5-10 minutes.
- Once sugar is melted, let the sugar sit for a few seconds until caramel has an amber color. Take off heat immediately.
- Pour in half of the cubed butter. Stir consistently until combined. It will bubble a lot. Then, add in the rest of the butter and stir until combined. Add in half of the heavy cream. Stir until combined. It will bubble a lot as well. Then, add in the rest of the cream. Add in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour the caramel into a glass container. Then, allow it to cool to room temperature before using in the ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 8X8 inch pan with non-stick baking spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, blend the eggs, egg yolk, and sugar together on high for 5 minutes. The eggs will be pale in color and fluffy.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute or until melted. Add the melted butter, oil, and vanilla to the egg mixture. Mix until combined. Take off mixer.
- Add all of the dry ingredients into the bowl. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the dry ingredients. Be careful to not lose any air from the eggs. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes. The edges should be set and the middle is slightly underdone.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan. Then, place in the freezer for 10 minutes. This will make it easier to cut into. Cut the brownies into 9 squares. Cut 5 of those squares into brownie bites for the ice cream.
- Place the metal bowl and whisk attachment for a mixer in the freezer for 10 minutes. This makes it so much easier to whip up the heavy cream. While it's freezing, combine brownie bites, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Take bowl out of the freezer and beat the heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the brownie bowl. Use a rubber spatula and be gentle so you don't knock any air out of whipped cream.
- Pour ½ cup of salted caramel over the ice cream. Use a knife to drag the caramel around to create swirls.
- Pour the ice cream into a metal container. A 1 lb loaf pan, 8x3 inch cake pan, casserole dish. Any pan that is metal and has tall enough sides to hold the ice cream.
- Optional- pour extra caramel and brownie bites on top of the ice cream and gently stir. Cover and freeze for at least 12 hours.
Leave a Reply