These caramel chocolate chip cookies are the ultimate chocolate chip cookies! They are both stuffed and topped with soft caramel. These are the perfect cookies that have crisp edges and gooey, chewy, and melty centers. They are topped with flaky sea salt to balance out this sweet cookie.
These caramel chocolate chip cookies are the definition of ooey gooey cookies. They are baked with soft caramels in the middle of these cookies.
When the cookies are baked and warm, they have a super gooey caramel pull! They are honestly SO good!
Why You Will Love This Caramel Cookie Recipe
- Easy to make- All you need to do is make a chocolate chip cookie dough and wrap them around caramel!
- Chewy cookie- These cookies are ultra chewy from the caramel center. They still have crisp edges!
- Caramel center- The best part is that caramel center! It is SOO good. It can be sweet, so that is why I top with flaky sea salt.
Step By Step Recipe Video
Ingredient Notes for Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Here are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Butter- Pull the butter out 2 hours before baking. It should be soft
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Chocolate chips- Use a high quality semi-sweet chocolate chip. I like Guittard, Kirkland, or Ghirardelli.
- Mini chocolate chips- These are optional.
- Werther's soft caramel- Use these caramels. Use 1 per cookie and then cut up extra for the tops of the cookies.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make and bake these cookies.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Make sure to use a sifter to get rid of any flour lumps.
STEP 2: Beat the butter and sugars. Next, use a mixer to beat the butter and sugars. Beat on high for 2 minutes. This will aerate the butter and sugar and make the cookies chewy.
STEP 3: Add in vanilla and eggs. Then, add the vanilla and eggs. Beat on high for 1 minute. This will also help aerate the batter.
STEP 4: Mix in the dry ingredients. Mix on low and add in the flour. Then, add in the chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Fill the cookie dough. Take a 3oz cookie scoop. Flatten the dough ball with you hand. Then, place 1 soft caramel into the center. Fold the dough over the caramel and roll the dough into a ball.
STEP 6: Chill the dough. Chill the dough for 2 hours. The dough needs to be VERY cold. It needs to be cold to prevent spreading.
STEP 7: Bake the cookies. Bake these for 13-15 minutes.
STEP 8: Top the cookies. Top the cookies with cut up caramels, more chocolate chips, and flaky sea salt.
Make sure to really beat the dough. The goal is to get the dough light and fluffy. It creates a very chewy cookie. Don't skip this step.
If your cookies spread a little in the oven, that is okay! Use a large biscuit cutter and "scoot" the cookies back to a circle shape.
Do this when the cookies are warm right out of the oven.
Then, top the cookies.
If your cookies have caramel escaping from the bottom, keep the cookies on the cookie sheet while they cool. This will keep the caramel inside.
Bake the cookie dough straight from the fridge. They needs to be super cold. Then, bake them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Don't use a silicone baking mat.
Yes! It helps to balance the sweetness.
I have not recipe tested this. If you make this with no eggs, let me know!
I don't recommend this. The Werther's brand will have thicker caramel in the center. Homemade could also cause more spreading.
Let the cookies chill for 30 minutes. Then, place the cookies in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Bake straight from the freezer. It will need an extra minute or 2 to bake.
Storing and Freezing
Store these caramel chocolate chip cookies at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last up to 5 days.
Freeze these caramel chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container up to 30 days. Let the cookies thaw for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
- 22 Soft caramels use Werthers not Kraft
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together for 2 minutes on high. The butter should be light and fluffy. Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix on medium-high for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl..1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, ½ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until cookie dough is formed. Add in chocolate chips and mix.1 ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use a 3oz cookie scoop to scoop cookie dough. Flatten the cookie dough ball into a disc. Fill it with 1 soft caramel. Roll the cookie dough back into a ball. Place on cookie sheet. Fill the rest of the cookie dough.22 Soft caramels
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight. If overnight, cover with foil. Then, let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet and bake 13-15 minutes. It should be lightly golden brown on the edges and slightly under done in the middle. If you have a large biscuit cutter, you can use it to make the cookies circular. Top with little caramel pieces and chocolate chips.
- Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. These cookies are best enjoyed slightly warm.