This chocolate peppermint cheesecake has an Oreo crust, very chocolatey cheesecake full of peppermint chips, and chocolate ganache. It is decorated in more peppermint chips and Lindt peppermint truffles.
This chocolate peppermint cheesecake is the perfect dessert for holiday season. It is a rich chocolate flavor that helps bring out the peppermint flavor for an amazing dessert your guests won't forget! If you like Andes mints and cheesecake you will LOVE this cheesecake.
- Why This Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe Works
- Ingredient Notes for Chocolate Mint Cheesecake
- Ingredient Substitutions
- Step By Step Instructions - Oreo Crust
- Step By Step Instructions - Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
- Step By Step Instructions - Chocolate Ganache
- Preventing Cheesecake Cracks
- Recipe Variations
- Special Tools
- Storing and Freezing
- 📖 Recipe
Why This Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe Works
- Perfect Christmas Dessert- This cheesecake tastes amazing and brings the holiday spirit. It also looks so good it will get a reaction at any holiday party this Christmas season.
- Chocolate flavor- This cheesecake features peppermint, but doesn't forget that it is a chocolate cheesecake first! It has the perfect balance of chocolate and peppermint flavor.
- Creamy cheesecake- This delicious cheesecake has that perfect cheesecake texture that makes it so hard to put down!
Ingredient Notes for Chocolate Mint Cheesecake
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted for the crust. You can melt this in the microwave.
- Sour cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get room temperature ingredients.
- Heavy cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get room temperature ingredients.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature. I use whole eggs, not egg white for the fatty yolk.
- Baking spray- Make sure you are using a baking spray with flour, not just a cooking spray.
- Chocolate bar- Lindt 70% are my favorite baking chocolate bars, but you can substitute in a favorite chocolate.
- Peppermint candies- Andes mints have a great flavor for this dessert, but other peppermint candies may be able to substitute.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
Step By Step Instructions - Oreo Crust
Here is how to make and bake the Oreo crust for the chocolate peppermint cheesecake.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Meanwhile, spray a 9 inch springform pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom with a 9 inch parchment paper circle and spray again.
STEP 2: Mix crust. Blend the Oreos into fine crumbs with a food processor. Then, mix them with melted butter using a small bowl and fork.
STEP 3: Form crust. Pour the crumb mixture into the prepared pan and press it halfway up the sides of the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to compact the bottom of the crust.
STEP 4: Bake crust. Bake it for 12 minutes.
Step By Step Instructions - Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
Here is how to make the chocolate peppermint cheesecake.
STEP 1: Melt chocolate. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it for 20 second intervals until it is melted. Make sure to mix well between intervals.
STEP 2: Beat cream cheese and sugar. Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder together on high speed for 2 minutes. If there are cream cheese chunks remaining beat again until it is smooth.
STEP 3: Combine. Add the sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate. Mix it on medium speed until combined. Then add the eggs and mix on low speed until combined.
STEP 4: Pour. Take the batter off the mixer and use a rubber spatula to mix the peppermint chips in. Pour the cheesecake batter into the prepared pan.
STEP 5: Water bath. See the water bath section below for 2 methods to use.
STEP 6: Bake cheesecake. Bake for 70-80 minutes. It is done when the edges are set and the middle has a slight jiggle.
STEP 7: Cool. Turn the oven off and crack the oven door open. Let the cheesecake cool in the oven for 30 minutes to cool slowly. Then, transfer it out of the water bath to a wire rack to cool completely.
STEP 8: Chill. Cover the pan in aluminum foil and chill it in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.
Step By Step Instructions - Chocolate Ganache
Here is how to make the chocolate ganache to top the cheesecake.
STEP 1: Prep. Place the chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl. Heat the heavy cream on the stove until it is steaming.
STEP 2: Melt ganache. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips and let it sit for 2 minutes. Then, stir until fully melted and smooth. If chunks remain heat it in the microwave for 15 second intervals until melted.
STEP 3: Decorate. Take the cheesecake out of the springform pan and remove the parchment paper. Pour the chocolate ganache over the top of the cheesecake. Decorate it with peppermint chips and Lindt truffles.
Water Bath Tips
The water bath provides a moist environment for the cheesecake. This is because of the steam. When it is too dry, it will create cracks in the cheesecake.
Here are two techniques to try. They both use a roasting pan with hot steaming water.
- Place the springform pan inside a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan. Fill the pan with the hot water (about halfway up the cake pan)
- Wrap the springform pan with foil twice very tightly. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill the pan halfway up with hot water.
My favorite method is the first one. This won't let any water at all get into the crust. It makes baking cheesecake so easy!
The second option gives the chance to get water inside and create a soggy crust.
Preventing Cheesecake Cracks
Beat the wet ingredients minus the eggs on high speed. Everything need to be super creamy and smooth. Chunks of cream cheese can cause cracks.
Add eggs on low speed. The goal is to have as little air as possible when mixing the eggs. Too much air can cause big bubbles in the cheesecake batter. It will make the cheesecake rise and fall too quickly when baking. Which causes cracks.
Use a water bath. This is essential! See below for cheesecake tips.
Cool the cheesecake. Once the cheesecake is done baking, it needs to sit in the hot oven for 30 minutes. This lets it cool slowly.
If you were to put the cheesecake on the counter right after done baking, it will be too quick of a temperature change, which cause cracks.
How To Easily Remove The Cheesecake From The Pan
First, spray the springform pan with baking non stick spray. Next, line the bottom of the pan with 9 inch parchment paper circle. Make sure to spray the pan again.
Then, after the cheesecake has chilled overnight. The springform pan should pop right off. If it doesn't very gently use a knife around the edge of the cheesecake to pop it off.
Then, you should be able to lay the cheesecake on it's side to take off the bottom of pan and the parchment circle.
Divide this recipe into thirds to make 12 mini cheesecake. Bake in a muffin pan for 18-20 minutes. Follow this Mini Oreo Cheesecakes for detailed instructions for mini cheesecakes.
You can halve the recipe to make these into chocolate peppermint cheesecake bars using 8X8 or 9X9 inch baking pan (use 16 oz of cream cheese). You can also use a 8 inch springform pan. If you want to use a 6 inch springform pan, halve the recipe, but use 16 oz of cream cheese. Adjust the baking time as it bakes faster in a larger pan since it is thinner.
First, make sure the cheesecake is very cold. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the slices. Clean the knife after every slice.
- Alternate crust- If you have a favorite cheesecake crust you can use that. For a classic graham cracker crust option see this apple pie cheesecake recipe.
- No ganache- If you do not want to add a ganache you can decorate directly on top of the cheesecake without a ganache. A homemade whipped cream is always a welcome addition to chocolate cheesecake!
- Springform pan: I use a good quality 9-inch springform pan. Sometimes I will use an 8-inch springform pan if I want a taller cheesecake.
- Parchment paper circles: I used 8-inch parchment paper circles for the bottom of the pan. I love to use the premade circles, so I don't have to cut it out of regular parchment paper.
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
Storing and Freezing
Store this chocolate peppermint cheesecake in the fridge in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Chill up to 5 days.
You can freeze the chocolate peppermint cheesecake in individual slices. Store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
You can also freeze the cheesecake before decorating. Wrap the cooled cheesecake (it needs to chill in the fridge overnight first), in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before decorating.
Other Cheesecake Recipes To Try
Try these holiday recipes too!
- Pecan Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Pie Cookie Bars
- Apple Cider Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Caramel Cookies
- Sticky Buns
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
- 3 cups Oreo crumbs fine crumb. whole pack of family size Oreos.
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
- 24 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup Sour cream or greek yogurt. room temperature
- ½ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bars Lindt 70%. I used two bars.
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Andes peppermint chips
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- Andes peppermint chips for decoration
- Lindt peppermint truffles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom with a 9-inch parchment paper circle and spray again.
- Using a food processor, blend the Oreos into a fine crumb. Add the melted butter and Oreo crumbs into a small bowl. Use a fork to mix it together.
- Pour the crumbs into the pan. Use your hands to press the crumbs halfway up the sides of the pan. Use a measuring cup to compact the crust on the bottom of the crust.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
- Place the chocolate into a bowl. Heat in the microwave for 20 second intervals until melted. Make sure to mix the chocolate well between each interval.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl using a rubber spatula. If any chunks of cream cheese remain, beat on high until all is smooth.
- Add in the sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla, and melted chocolate. Mix on medium speed until combined. Add in the eggs and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Take off the mixer and mix the batter using a rubber spatula. Add in the peppermint chips and mix. Pour the cheesecake batter into the spring form pan.
- Water bath. Use one of these methods for a water bath. Both methods use a large roasting pan and hot steaming water.1. Place the springform pan in a 10 inch cake pan. Place the cake pan in the roasting pan and fill with hot water halfway up the cake pan. This method prevent water getting into the crust.2. Wrap the springform pan tightly twice in aluminum foil. Place the springform pan inside the roasting pan. Fill with hot water halfway up the springform pan. This method works great, but can sometimes leak water into the crust.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes. Bake until the edges are set and the middle has a slight jiggle.
- Turn off the oven, crack open the door, and let it sit for 30 minutes to slowly cool.
- Take the springform pan out of the water bath and place on a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cool, place foil over the pan and chill for at least 6 hours in the fridge or overnight.
- Place chocolate chips into a bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a small pan on medium-low speed. Heat until the heavy cream is steaming.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 2 minutes because mixing until smooth. If any chocolate chunks remain, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds and mix until smooth.
- Take the cheesecake out of the springform pan and remove the parchment paper. Pour the chocolate ganache on top of the cheesecake. Decorate with more peppermint chips and Lindt truffles.