These churro cookies stuffed with chocolate taste just like a churro! They have a chewy center with crisp edges and are dunked twice into cinnamon sugar. The cookies are filled with chocolate. They give me serious Disneyland churro vibes, so break out your Mickey ears!
These churro cookies are very easy to make and taste just like a churro in delicious cookie form.
The cookies spread, which is important to get those crisp edges. What makes these cookies special is the chocolate filling. It is like dipping a churro into chocolate!
These cookies would be huge hit for cinco de mayo or any special occasion! They are my favorite cookies because they are packed with flavor.
Why You Will Love This Churro Cookie Recipe
- Easy to make- This cookie recipe is very easy to make and kids can help make them!
- Tastes like a churro- These make thinner cinnamon cookies with crisp outer edges.
- Dunked in cinnamon sugar- The cookies are rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking. They are rolled again after baking.
- Chocolate stuffed- The cookies are stuffed with quality chocolate. They are the best cookie.
Step By Step Recipe Video
Ingredient Notes for Churro Cookies
- Unsalted Butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Cornstarch- This gives the cookies a chewier middle.
- Chocolate- This is the one I used.
Step By Step Instructions- Cinnamon Cookie Dough
Here are the steps to make and bake these cookies. You can use a stand mixer or an electric mixer (hand mixer) for this recipe.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. Make sure to use a sifter to prevent any flour lumps getting into the dough. Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl or large mixing bowl.
STEP 2: Beat butter and sugars. Beat these on high speed for 2 minutes in a large bowl. The butter will lighten in color.
STEP 3: Add in vanilla extract and eggs. Next, beat these into the dough until light and fluffy.
STEP 4: Mix in dry ingredients. Then, add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Over mixing the flour can cause a tough dough.
STEP 5: Chill the dough. Let the dough chill in the fridge for 30 minutes because it is a soft dough. 30 minutes should get the desired consistency.
STEP 6: Scoop the dough. Scoop the dough using a 2oz cookie scoop. Flatten the dough into a disc and stuff with chocolate.
Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Then, roll the cookie dough back into a ball and roll in cinnamon sugar.
STEP 7: Chill the dough. Chill the dough again for 30 minutes.
STEP 8: Bake cookies. Bake these for 13-15 minutes on large cookie sheets until they are golden brown. Then, dunk the top of the cookies in the cinnamon-sugar mixture again.
Let the soft cookies cool on a cooling rack (wire rack).
Expert Baking Tips
This churro sugar cookies relies on two parts, beating the dough and chilling.
The first time the cookie dough needs to beat the butter and sugar and then again with the eggs. The butter and eggs are aerated. It creates a more bakery style cookie.
Then, you have to chill the dough. For one, that prevents over spreading. The cookie dough is very soft and wet.
The dough is chilled again to prevent the chocolate from melting.
These cookies would be best enjoyed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
You can, you can use a 1-2 oz cookie scoop. Fill the cookies with less chocolate and bake for 8-11 minutes.
This is probably because you over measured the flour. Flour needs to be spooned and leveled or use a kitchen scale. If you stick the measuring cup straight into the flour it will compact it. Which leads to no spread.
I swear they taste even better than crumbl cookies. They taste more like a churro than those crumbl churro cookie.
It is similar. However, these cookies are crisper and are rolled in cinnamon sugar twice. They are also stuffed with chocolate. So this churro cookie recipe is even better.
Storing and Freezing
Store these easy churro cookies at room temperature in an airtight sealed container. Store cookies up to 5 days.
These cookie dough balls can be frozen! Freeze the dough balls after they are rolled in cinnamon sugar. Bake from the freezer for 14-18 minutes.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Churro Cookies Stuffed with Chocolate
- 1 cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 1 ¼ cups Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bars I used Lindt 70% chopped.
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- Pull the butter out for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It will be slightly cold, but not very soft like at room temperature.1 cup Unsalted butter
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Set aside.2 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Cornstarch, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl and add in vanilla and eggs. Mix on medium-high for1 minutes. It will be very fluffy in texture.1 ¼ cups Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Add in the dry ingredients. Mix on low until just combined.
- Chill for 30 minutes. If the dough is too soft to roll, freeze for 15 minutes. Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough using a 3oz cookie scoop. The cookie dough balls needs to be right at 3oz. If there is too much like 3.3oz it will spread too much.8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate bars
- Flatten into a disc using your hand. Top with a heaping amount of chocolate. See above photo. Roll back into a ball.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Roll the cookie balls into the cinnamon sugar. Chill for another 30 minutes.½ cup White granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 6 cookies at a time for 13-15 minutes. The cookies are done when the edges are slightly golden. The middle will be slightly under done.
- Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes. Then, rub each warm cookie in the cinnamon sugar. Cool on a wire rack.