These chocolate peppermint cookies are a great Christmas cookie. These are a chocolate cookie full of chocolate chips, Andes mints and Andes peppermint chips.
This chocolate peppermint cookie recipe is a great way to celebrate the holiday season. They are the perfect holiday cookie to bring the holiday spirit because the peppermint candies and Andes mints can remind you of candy canes, but are softer and taste better than candy cane pieces
. If you make these you will be the star of any cookie swaps you attend. Make extra, because you will want to keep the first batch for yourself!
For more Christmas desserts try Gingerbread Cheesecake, Cherry Cheesecake, and Toblerone Cheesecake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate Cookie- These are delicious chocolate cookies that are hard to put down.
- Mints- The Andes mints and peppermint chips in the cookies give them the perfect amount of peppermint flavor.
- Easy Recipe- This cookie recipe is super fast and easy to make!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results I recommend using a dutch-processed cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Unsalted butter- Melt the butter and let it cool until it is room temperature butter before using.
- Chocolate chips- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chocolate peppermint cookies. You will need an electric mixer such as a hand mixer or a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar with a mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
Add in the vanilla and eggs and combine on medium speed.
STEP 3: Combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix on low speed. Add in the chopped Andes mints peppermint chips, and chocolate chips.
STEP 4: Chill. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
While it chills preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 5: Scoop. Use a large cookie dough scoop (about 3 TBSP) to scoop 6 cookie dough balls per prepared baking sheet.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 13-15 minutes.
STEP 7: Decorate. When the cookies are fresh from the oven place additional chopped Andes mints, peppermint chips, and chocolate chips on top of the cookies. This will complete the look and give more mint flavor.
STEP 8: Cool. Let the cookies sit for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If you live at high altitude, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
- The cookies should be slightly underdone, because they will continue to cook as they cool. This helps to make sure they have chewy centers.
Yes you can. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
Yes they can! Store the cookie dough balls in an airtight container or use plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 days. Let the cookie dough balls thaw before baking.
Yes you can. However, I recommend making them into cookie dough balls first before chilling overnight. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Make sure they come to room temperature before baking
Storing and Freezing
Store these chocolate peppermint cookies in an airtight container or Ziploc bag up to 5 days at room temperature.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Christmas Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs
- ½ cup Andes mints chopped. Plus more to top the cookies.
- ½ cup Peppermint chips Plus more to top the cookies.
- ½ cup Chocolate chips I use semi-sweet. Plus more to top the cookies.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix until combined on medium speed.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, ½ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low. Add in the Andes mints that are chopped, peppermint chips, and chocolate chips.½ cup Andes mints, ½ cup Peppermint chips, ½ cup Chocolate chips
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a large cookie scoop (3 TBSP) to scoop the dough. Line 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Top the cookies immediately with more chopped with Andes mints, peppermint chips, and chocolate chips. Let it sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
These are drop dead delicious! I'm going to make them smaller & make icecream sandwiches with them!