These moist pumpkin cupcakes are topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. They are full of spices! These pumpkin cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate pumpkin season!
These delicious pumpkin cupcakes are moist and have a strong pumpkin flavor, with lots of spices! The best part is how simple to make they are. If you are a pumpkin lover you NEED to try this recipe. They will be a new fall favorite, I promise.
Why This Recipe Works
- Pumpkin spice flavor- These pumpkin spice cupcakes have all the right warm spices for that delicious pumpkin cupcake flavor!
- Cinnamon frosting- The cinnamon cream cheese frosting really brings these cupcakes to another level. It is the perfect combo.
- Easy recipe. These easy pumpkin cupcakes don't require any difficult steps, and can be made even by first time cupcake bakers!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Pumpkin pie spice- This should be available in most grocery stores. I use this pumpkin pie spice.
- Oil- A regular vegetable oil or canola oil will work.
- Pumpkin puree- Make sure not to use a pumpkin pie filling as it has added ingredients we do not want.
- Brown sugar- I used a light brown sugar, but a dark brown sugar will work just as well.
- Large eggs- Take these out 2 hours before baking to get them to room temperature.
- Unsalted butter- Take this out 2 hours before baking to get it to room temperature.
- Cream cheese- Take this out 2 hours before baking to get it to room temperature.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift this to avoid gritty frosting.
Step By Step Instructions - Pumpkin Cupcakes
Here is how to make and bake these pumpkin cupcakes.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set it aside.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. Mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and salt together in a large bowl.
STEP 3: Blot pumpkin. Place the pumpkin puree on a plate and press a paper towel into the puree to soak up some of the moisture. Do this again with a second paper towel.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla extract, and brown sugar together.
STEP 5: Combine. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix them until just combined.
STEP 6: Scoop and bake. Scoop the the cupcake batter into each muffin cup using a large ice cream scoop or large cookie scoop. Fill each cup ¾ full. Bake them for 18-20 minutes.
STEP 7: Cool. Let the cupcakes cool in the hot muffin tin for 10 minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step By Step Instructions - Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Here is how to make the cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
STEP 1: Dry ingredients. Sift the powdered sugar and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
STEP 2: Beat cream cheese and butter. Use a mixer and large mixing bowl to beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed for 3 minutes.
STEP 3: Combine. Add half of the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture and mix it on low speed. Then, add the other half of the powdered sugar and mix again. Finally, add the vanilla extract and salt. Mix it on high speed until creamy.
STEP 4: Pipe frosting. Place the frosting in a piping bag and pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Then, store the cupcakes in the fridge.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure to spoon and level the flour. If you stick the measuring cup into a bag of flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will cause a dry cupcake.
- Make sure your cupcakes are fully cooled before decorating them. Hot cupcakes can melt the frosting and make decorating difficult.
- If you want to add a little extra decoration to your cupcakes you can sprinkle chocolate chips, drizzle caramel sauce, or add a light dusting of cinnamon on top.
Yes it can! Freeze the cupcakes after they cooled by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Yes it can! bake for 8-10 minutes instead.
Yes! This recipe can be made in a 8X8 inch baking pan or 9X9 inch baking pan to make a pumpkin cake.
Storing and Freezing
These pumpkin cupcakes need to be stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge up to 5 days. The cupcakes taste best when set at room temperature for 1 hour before eating.
The decorated pumpkin cupcakes can be frozen in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Pumpkin Recipes To Try
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 15 oz Pumpkin puree can not pumpkin pie filling
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and salt. Place the pumpkin puree on a plate. Press a paper towel into the puree to soak up some of the moisture. Do this twice.1 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon Salt, 15 oz Pumpkin puree can
- In a separate bowl, mix together oil, pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar. Mix until combined.½ cup Oil, ¾ cup Brown sugar, 2 Large eggs, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Use a large ice cream scoop (or a 2TBSP cookie scoop) and scoop the cupcake batter into each muffin tin. Fill until ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the muffin tin for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl, sift the powdered sugar and cinnamon together.3 ½ cups Powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed for 3 minutes. Add in half of the powdered sugar and mix on low speed. Then, add the rest of the powdered sugar.¾ cup Unsalted butter, 4 oz Cream cheese
- Add in the vanilla and salt. Mix on high speed until creamy.¼ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Pipe the cupcakes with the frosting. Store cupcakes in the fridge.