These S'mores cupcakes have all the layers of a s'more! They are moist chocolate cupcakes, filled with chocolate ganache, topped with a toasted marshmallow, and has graham cracker cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes taste like just like a campfire toasted s'more!
I absolutely love s'mores. So, I wanted to create s'mores cupcakes, that were ultra decadent and would wow my friends and family.
There are three parts of a s'more, graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, and chocolate. This cupcake has all three!
The best part about these cupcakes is the graham cracker cream cheese frosting. It taste like heaven! I added extra salt to it, to help balance this sweet cupcake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate cupcakes- These cupcakes extra moist and easy to make. They don't need a mixer! These cupcakes are seriously super soft.
- Filled cupcakes- The cupcakes are filled with chocolate ganache. They give an extra chocolaty taste!
- Toasted gooey marshmallow- A regular sized marshmallow goes on top of the cupcake and get broiled. Then, the marshmallow gets squished so it covers to whole cupcake.
- Graham cracker cream cheese frosting- This is a cream cheese frosting that has graham cracker crumbs inside.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I like to use dutch process cocoa powder, this gives the cupcakes a more rich flavor.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- Use steaming water. Heat the water on the stove, so it is very hot.
- Chocolate chips- Use semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
- Marshmallows- Use regular size marshmallows.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 30 minutes before baking so it is slightly cold.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift the powdered sugar to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Graham crackers- Use one sleeve of graham crackers.
- Oil- You can also use olive oil. I don't recommend coconut oil.
- Buttermilk- You can also use ½ cup of milk with ½ Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Filling- You don't have to fill the cupcakes if you don't want too.
- Marshmallows- You can use vegan marshmallows.
- Cream cheese- You can use all butter instead for the frosting. Use 1 cup of butter and 2 ½ cups of powdered sugar.
- Graham crackers- If you are not is the US, then you can also use digestive biscuits.
Step By Step Instructions- Cupcakes
Here is how to make and bake these chocolate cupcakes.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. First, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Then, add in white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Then, heat the hot water and pour in the wet ingredients very slowly to not to over cook the eggs.
STEP 3: Pour the wet ingredients. Pour it into the flour mixture and whisk until combined. It will be a runny batter.
STEP 4: Scoop the cupcake batter. Fill a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Scoop the batter so it is ¾ths full.
STEP 5: Bake. Bake the cupcakes for 16-18 minutes. Let them cool on the cooling rack or wire rack until completely cool.
Step By Step Instructions- Filling and Frosting
STEP 1: Make the chocolate ganache. Make this while the cupcakes are baking, so it thicken slightly.
In a medium bowl, pour the hot cream into the chocolate chips. Mix until smooth. If any chunks remain, heat it in the microwave in 10 second intervals.
STEP 2: Fill the cupcakes. First, use a cupcake corer to cut a hole into the middle of the cupcakes ⅔rds down. You can also use a sharp knife.
Use a ½ Tablespoon to fill the cupcakes with the chocolate ganache. Fill the cupcakes all the way to the top.
STEP 3: Broil the marshmallows. Top the cupcakes with the marshmallows and broil for 2-3 minutes until they are toasted. They will look like a campfire marshmallow! You can also use a kitchen torch if you want.
Use a spoon to squish the marshmallows down.
STEP 4: Prep the frosting. First, pull the butter out for 30 minutes for it to get slightly cold. While you wait, sift the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Use a food processor to blend the graham crackers into a fine crumb.
STEP 5: Beat the butter and cream. Beat these using either a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer on high speed for 3 minutes. It will be light and fluffy.
STEP 6: Add the wet ingredients. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and graham cracker crumbs on low speed. It will be very thick. Then, add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream and mix until fluffy.
Decorating The Cupcakes
I used a Wilton tip 1M to pipe the graham cracker frosting. Use a piping bag to pipe a large swirl on top of the marshmallow.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure to spoon and level the flour. If you stick the measuring cup into a bag of flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will cause a dry cupcake.
- When filling the cupcakes, you can discard the tops.
- After you pipe the frosting on top, freeze the cupcakes for 10 minutes or store in the fridge. Before serving, the frosting needs to firm slightly in the fridge. Otherwise it is super messy!
Yes you can! Use slightly melted marshmallow fluff to fill the cupcakes instead.
Yes it can! Freeze the cupcakes after they cooled by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before filling and decorating.
Yes! This recipe can be made in a 8X8 inch baking pan or 9X9 inch baking pan.
Storing and Freezing
These s'mores cupcakes need to be stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge up to 5 days. The cupcakes taste best when set at room temperature for 1 hour before eating.
The decorated s'mores cupcakes can be frozen in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich cupcake
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup Hot water steaming hot water
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 12 Marshmallows
Graham Cracker Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 ¼ cup Graham cracker crumbs fine crumb. 1 packet of graham crackers.
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined.1 cup All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk. Heat the hot water on the stove until steaming. Slowly whisk the hot water into the wet ingredients.2 Large eggs, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Oil, ½ cup Buttermilk, ½ cup Hot water
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Whisk until just combined. Fill the cupcake liners ¾ths full with the chocolate cake batter.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking, start the ganache.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan and heat until steaming. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 2 minutes.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ½ cup Heavy cream
- Stir until it is smooth and glossy. If any chocolate chunks remain, heat in the microwave in 15 second intervals. Mix well. Let it sit until the cupcakes are completely cooled.
- Use a cupcake corer or a sharp knife to create a hole in the cupcake that goes ⅔rds down. Don't go too far. Toss the tops of the cupcakes. Use a ½ Tablespoon to fill the cupcakes with chocolate to the top of the cupcake.
- Set the oven to broil. Place the filled cupcakes on a cookie sheet. Top with the marshmallow. Place in the oven for 2-3 minutes until the top of the marshmallow is toasted.12 Marshmallows
- Use a spoon to squish the marshmallow down. Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool.
Graham Cracker Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pull the butter out of the fridge and set on the counter for 30 minutes. This gets the butter to be slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar into a large bowl. Blend the graham cracker crumbs using a food processor, it needs to be a fine crumb. Pour the crumbs into the powdered sugar.¾ cup Unsalted butter, 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar, 1 ¼ cup Graham cracker crumbs
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter. Beat for 3 minutes on high. Scrape the bowl and slowly add in the powdered sugar/ graham cracker crumbs and mix on low.4 oz Cream cheese
- Add the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl halfway through. It should be a creamy frosting. If too thick still, add 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream and beat again.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon Salt, 3 tablespoon Heavy cream
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes and freeze for 10 minutes before serving. Or keep in the fridge.