These Christmas reindeer cupcakes look like Rudolph. It is a moist chocolate cupcake topped with hot chocolate frosting. It is topped with candy eyes, red candy for the nose, and pretzels for the ears.
I have been compensated by Wholesome, Inc., maker of, Wholesome™ sweeteners for my participation in this campaign
These Christmas reindeer cupcakes are fun Rudolph cupcakes with and adorable Rudolph face on top of each cupcake.
These adorable reindeer cupcakes are so much fun and will be a huge hit at any holiday parties you attend.
These cupcakes are also made using organic and fair trade cane sugar and powdered confectioners sugar. Wholesome has really high quality sugars that are the perfect 1:1 substitute for traditional sugar.
Why This Recipe Works
- Christmas spirit- These chocolate cupcakes are a fun and festive way to celebrate the happiest time of year. The reindeer faces make for the cutest Christmas cupcakes and bring so much holiday spirit.
- Moist cupcake- These festive cupcakes are so soft and almost melt in your mouth.
- Hot chocolate frosting- The hot chocolate frosting is SO good, and just helps bring those thoughts of the holiday season.
- Easy cupcakes- This cute reindeer cupcakes are easy recipes so you can bring the cutest cupcakes as your holiday treat to a Christmas party even if you don't have a lot of baking experience.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar- This cane sugar captures a tiny bit of molasses in every blond crystal. This sugar is slightly warmer and full bodied - in my opinion - which goes well in the chocolate cupcakes.
- Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar- This powdered sugar is ultrafine, which gives the frosting a super silky texture.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I like to use dutch process cocoa powder, this gives the cupcakes a more rich flavor.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- Use steaming water. Heat the water on the stove, so it is very hot.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 30 minutes before baking so it is slightly cold.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift the powdered sugar to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Candy Eyeballs- I used these Candy eyes. Any candy eyes around the size of an M&M should work. They are often available in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
Step By Step Instructions- Cupcakes
Here is how to make and bake these reindeer cupcakes.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. First, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Then, add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Then, heat the hot water and pour in the wet ingredients very slowly to not to over cook the eggs.
STEP 3: Pour the wet ingredients. Pour it into the flour mixture and whisk until combined. It will be a runny batter.
STEP 4: Scoop the cupcake batter. Fill a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Scoop the batter so it is ¾ths full.
STEP 5: Bake. Bake the cupcakes for 16-18 minutes. Let them cool on the cooling rack or wire rack until completely cool.
Step By Step Instructions- Frosting and Decorating
Here is how to make the frosting and decorate the cupcakes.
STEP 1: Heat cream. Use a saucepan to heat the heavy cream until it is steaming. Add in the hot chocolate mix. Mix it until the sugar is melted.
Set it aside to cool completely.
STEP 2: Beat butter. First, sift the Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered Confectioners Sugar and cocoa powder together in a large mixing bowl.
Use your mixer to beat the butter for 3 minutes on high speed. Then, add in half of the cocoa sugar and mix it on low speed until it is combined. Add the remaining cocoa sugar and mix on low speed until combined as well.
STEP 3: Beat frosting. Add the vanilla extract, salt, and the hot chocolate cream and mix it in on low speed until combined. Then, beat it on high speed until the frosting is fluffy.
STEP 4: Frost cupcakes and decorate. Scoop the frosting onto the cupcakes with a cookie scoop. Smooth the tops with a spoon. You don't want too thin frosting.
Then place the pretzel halves as pretzel antlers, candy eyes, and the red candy nose on top of the cupcake as shown in the picture.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure to spoon and level the flour. If you stick the measuring cup into a bag of flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will cause a dry cupcake.
- Add the hot water for the cupcake batter slowly. It gets mixed in as you pour to prevent it from cooking the egg.
- Make sure your cupcakes are fully cooled before decorating them. Hot cupcakes can melt the frosting and make decorating difficult.
I used these Candy eyes. Any candy eyes around the size of an M&M should work. For the red nose a red M&M or a Red Hot should work, or any similar sized candy will work.
Yes it can! Freeze the cupcakes after they cooled by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before filling and decorating.
Yes! This recipe can be made in a 8X8 inch baking pan or 9X9 inch baking pan. Of course, decorating it is a reindeer will not work with pretzels and candies like the cupcakes, but it will make a delicious chocolate cake.
Storing and Freezing
These Christmas reindeer cupcakes need to be stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge up to 5 days.
The cupcakes taste best when set at room temperature for 1 hour before eating. I recommend keeping the pretzels separate and adding them after as they will get softer when stored on the cupcakes.
The decorated Christmas reindeer cupcakes can be frozen in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating. I recommend keeping the pretzels separate and adding them after as they will get softer when stored on the cupcakes.
Other Holiday Recipes To Try
Christmas Reindeer Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- ¼ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Hot water
Hot Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ⅓ cup Hot chocolate mix
- 12 Red candies for nose
- 24 Eye Sprinkles for eyes
- 12 Pretzels cut in half for the antlers.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.1 cup All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Heat ½ cup hot water on the stove in a sauce pan until steaming. Mix the cane sugar, oil, vanilla, buttermilk, and eggs in a separate mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the hot water.¼ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Buttermilk, 2 Large eggs, ½ cup Hot water, ¾ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- Slowly pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the cupcake batter into the pan. Fill the liners about ¾ full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Hot Chocolate Frosting
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the heavy cream until steaming. Add the hot chocolate mix and mix until sugar is melted. Cool completely. In a large bowl, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.2 cups Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Powdered sugar, ½ cup Heavy cream, ⅓ cup Hot chocolate mix, ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high speed for 3 minutes. Then, add in half of the powdered sugar/ cocoa powder and mix on low speed until combined. Add the rest of the powdered sugar.1 cup Unsalted butter
- Add the vanilla, salt, and hot chocolate cream. Mix on low until combined, then switch to high speed and beat until fluffy.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Use a cookie scoop and top the cupcakes with a scoop of frosting. Use a spoon to smooth the frosting on the top of the cupcake.
- Top the cupcakes with the candy eyes, red candy, and 1 pretzel cut in half for the antlers.12 Red candies, 24 Eye Sprinkles, 12 Pretzels