These strawberry filled cupcakes are the ultimate strawberry cupcake. I wanted a cupcake recipe that gave a strong strawberry flavor made with fresh strawberries. They are better than I imagined! The cupcakes are filled with diced strawberries and topped with a strawberry cream cheese frosting.
These strawberry filled cupcakes are a strawberry dream! The best part is they are filled with fresh strawberries!
Why You Will Love This
- Strawberry cupcakes. These cupcakes get their flavor from a strawberry salsa! It is full of fresh strawberries. These are vanilla cupcakes full of the strawberries.
- Filled cupcakes. The cupcakes are filled with fresh strawberries.
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting. The frosting uses both strawberry jam and ground freeze dried strawberries.
- Strawberry season- These cupcakes are perfect for strawberry season! They are also perfect for valentine's day.
- Cake flour- I used both cake flour and all-purpose flour. Cake flour gives the best texture.
- Butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull it out 2 hours before baking.
- Strawberry salsa- Basically, you will be baking a strawberry puree. However, instead of pureeing it completely, you will leave small and medium chunks of strawberries.
- Strawberries- The filling needs to use fresh strawberries.
- Strawberry jam- Any smooth jam will do.
- Cream cheese- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Powdered sugar- To avoid any lumps, make sure to sift the flour.
- Freeze dried strawberries- I got mine at the grocery store.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these cupcakes. This recipe uses either a stand mixer or a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: Strawberry Salsa. Blend the washed strawberries until small and medium chunks in a food processor or blender. Set aside in a small bowl.
STEP 2: Beat room temperature butter and sugar. Beat these for 2 minutes on high speed in a large bowl. Next, add in eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract and beat this on high speed as well.
Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
STEP 3: Mix dry ingredients and strawberry salsa. Alternate between the buttermilk and the flour mixture and mix on low speed.
STEP 4: Scoop the batter. Fill the pan ⅔rds full with batter. Then, bake for 16-18 minutes.
Then, let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack before filling.
STEP 5: Fill the cupcakes. Mix the strawberries and sugar. Then, fill the cupcakes with the strawberries. Use a cupcake corer or a sharp knife to create a hole that goes ⅔rds of the way down in the middle of the cupcake.
STEP 6: Beat cream cheese and butter. Beat these until fluffy. Add in powdered sugar and ground freeze dried strawberries.
Next, add in strawberry jam, vanilla, and heavy cream. It should be creamy, but stiff enough to pipe.
STEP 7: Decorate the cupcakes. Top the cupcakes with the strawberry buttercream frosting with a piping bag. Add a fresh strawberries on top of the cupcakes.
Expert Baking Tips
When you are making the strawberry salsa, I find the pulse two or three times is the best amount for the perfect texture.
When you are cutting into the strawberries, you can use a strawberry corer or a sharp knife.
Then, fill the cupcakes all the way to the top.
Yes! Use full fat greek yogurt.
Yes it can! Just double the recipe. It will make three 8 inch cake layers when doubles.
Yes it can! After baking, top with frosting and the filling. It can be made into a 8X8 pan.
Storing and Freezing
Store these strawberry filled cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge. Store up to 5 days.
The strawberry shortcake cupcakes can be frozen before decorating or filling. Wrap them in cling wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1 hour before filling and decorating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups Cake flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large egg room temperature
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Strawberry salsa heaping ½ cup see notes
- 1 cup Diced strawberries
- 1 ½ tablespoon White granulated sugar
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 4 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Ground freeze dried strawberries ground the strawberries then measure
- 1 ½ tablespoon Strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoon Heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Strawberry Salsa. Wash and dry strawberries. Cut them in quarters and use about 1 ½ cups of strawberries. Place in food processor or blend and pulse 3 times to achieve a salsa look. There should be small and large chunks.½ cup Strawberry salsa
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.1 ¾ cups Cake flour, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar for 3 minutes on medium-high. Scrape the bowl. Add in the eggs. and mix in one at a time until combined. Add in sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.½ cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large egg, ¼ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Mix in ⅓ of the dry ingredients and half of the strawberry salsa. Mix until almost combined. Add in another ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the rest of the strawberry salsa. Mix until combined. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin. Use a cookie scoop and fill ⅔ full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Fill the cupcakes right before piping with frosting. Wash and dry strawberries. Then, dice into small pieces. Combine the strawberries and sugar and let it sit for 5 minutes.1 cup Diced strawberries, 1 ½ tablespoon White granulated sugar
- Use a cupcake corer or sharp knife and cut a hole into the cupcakes about ⅔rds down. Use a ½ tablespoon and fill the cupcakes all the way with the strawberries. Make sure to compact the strawberries down.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes for it to be slightly cold. While waiting, sift the powdered sugar in a large bowl. Then, ground the freeze dried strawberries.¾ cup Unsalted butter, 4 ½ cups Powdered sugar, ¼ cup Ground freeze dried strawberries
- Beat the cream cheese for 1 minute using a mixer. Beat on medium-high. Add in the butter and mix until soft and light. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined.4 oz Cream cheese
- Add in the ground freeze dried strawberries, strawberry jam, heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix on low until combined. Then, turn to high and mix for 3 minutes.1 ½ tablespoon Strawberry jam, 2 tablespoon Heavy cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Chill the frosting for 15 minutes before decorating. Store in the fridge.