These are the best chocolate chip cookies! They are super gooey cookies with super chewy centers and crisp edges. They are mixed by hand and can be made in one bowl. The cookies have such a rich flavor and these are my go to cookie recipe!
These best chocolate chip cookies are without a doubt my favorite cookie. They will be your favorite too! They also come out perfectly every time!
The reason they are the best is they have very a chewy and gooey center, while the edges are still crisp and they are loaded with two types of chocolate chips! They are also crazy easy to make and don't need a mixer!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make- This recipe can be made in one bowl with no mixer needed. It can all be made by hand.
- Gooey chewy texture inside- The middle of the cookies are super gooey and chewy. They have the best texture due to the extra cornstarch. They also has crispy edges.
- No chill time!- This recipe uses melted butter, baking soda, and baking powder so that you don't need to chill this recipe at all! The dough does rest while the oven preheats, then you can scoop it!
- Large perfect chocolate chip cookies- Making these with a 3 Tablespoon cookie scoop lets them have larger centers. The large centers means a very chewy cookie.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needed to be melted and cooled to room temperature. Note: If the butter is too warm the cookies will spread more.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Baking soda + baking powder- I recipe testing using both or just baking soda, and they spread less and had a more chewier middle using both!
- Cornstarch- This helps to break down the gluten a little. Which results in a more soft cookie.
- Chocolate chips- I used a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips. If you choose to use milk chocolate chips, it will be way too sweet.
- Sea salt flakes- This is optional, but makes the cookies taste even better! The salt pulls out the chocolate flavor and helps to balance out the sweetness.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy homemade chocolate chip cookies. This recipe doesn't need an electric mixer. Just a large bowl, whisk, and a rubber spatula!
Full recipe is down below in the recipe card.
STEP 1: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, and 2 eggs. Mix everything together using a whisk until really smooth.
STEP 2: Add the dry ingredients. Next, add the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
TIP: Make sure to sift the flour and rising agents using a mesh sieve to get the best quality.
STEP 3: Add the chocolate chips. Add both the semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips. Use the rubber spatula to mix them into the cookie dough.
STEP 4: Rest. Preheat the oven and let the dough rest on the counter while the oven preheats. (About 10 minutes.) Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 5: Scoop. Scoop using a large cookie scoop. This is my favorite one! Scoop 6 large cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. If you are making smaller cookies, see my FAQ below.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake one cookie sheet at a time. Bake 13-15 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden and the middle is still slightly underdone.
Top the cookies with flaky sea salt and extra chocolate chips. Then, transfer to a cooling rack!
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet. If they are still spreading too much this could be the butter was too warm before adding the ingredients. If it still spreads too much, you chill the cookie dough balls for 10-15 minutes.
- If you live at high altitude, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
- The cookies should be slightly underdone, because they will continue to cook as they cool. This helps to make sure they have chewy centers.
Yes you can. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
Yes they can! Store the cookie dough balls in an airtight container or use plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 days. Let the cookie dough balls thaw before baking.
Yes you can. However, I recommend making them into cookie dough balls first before chilling overnight. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Make sure they come to room temperature before baking.
Storing and Freezing
Store the best chocolate chip cookies at room temperature in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter (it needs to be cooled to room temperature to prevent spreading), brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Whisk until smooth.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, ½ cup White granulated sugar, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Use a rubber spatula to mix these until just combined.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Add both chocolate chips and mix. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Let the dough sit while the oven is preheating before scooping.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup Dark chocolate chips
- Use a large cookie scoop (3 Tablespoons). Scoop 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Top the cookie doughs with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the middle is slightly underdone. Top the cookies with extra chocolate chips and flaky sea salt *optional.
- Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.