These swirled chocolate peanut butter brownies are ultra fudgy chocolate brownies loaded with chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. They are topped with a swirl of peanut butter. If you are a chocolate peanut butter lovers, you will love this recipe!
These chocolate peanut butter brownies have a giant swirl of peanut butter on top. When you bite into these brownies, you get the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
This brownie recipe includes both cocoa powder and chocolate chips to get it the rich chocolate flavor. This recipe is perfect if you are having a peanut butter chocolate craving.
Why This Recipe Works
- Homemade Fudgy brownies- These chocolate brownies are super fudgy with a crinkle top! They have the best texture.
- Decadent brownies- These peanut butter brownies are super rich, but they are SOO good! They are also make a very chewy brownie!
- Peanut butter chips- For an extra peanut butter flavor, these have peanut butter chips in the batter.
- Swirls of peanut butter- On top of the brownies is a swirl of peanut butter. It is perfect chocolate peanut butter ratio.
- Easy to make- This recipe does need a mixer, but it is easy to put together.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Large Eggs + Egg yolk- The extra egg yolk gives these an extra fudgy texture.
- Unsalted butter- Melt the butter and let it cool before adding into the batter.
- Oil- You can use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results, use dutch process cocoa powder to give these a more rich chocolate flavor. Natural cocoa powder does work in a pinch!
- Cornstarch- The cornstarch helps to break down the gluten, which lead to a more fudgy texture.
- Chocolate chips- You can use semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
- Peanut butter chips- I use the Reese's brand. If you don't have any you can use more regular chocolate chips.
- Peanut butter- I used Jif creamy peanut butter. Don't use crunchy peanut butter. You can also use natural peanut butter as well.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these brownies. This recipe uses a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. Using a sifter in a medium bowl, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder. Add in cornstarch and salt.
STEP 2: Beat sugar and eggs. Using a mixer, beat these on high speed for 5 minutes in a large bowl. This process gives the brownies the crinkle top.
STEP 3: Add in wet ingredients. Next, add in melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix this on low speed until just combined.
STEP 4: Add in dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture into the bowl. Then, mix on low speed until about 70% combined.
Next, take off the mixer and use a rubber spatula to fold the batter the rest of the way. Don't over mix though!
STEP 5: Add in chocolate chips. Then, fold the chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
STEP 6: Pour batter. Pour the brownie batter into a 8X8 inch square baking pan.
STEP 7: Melt the peanut butter. Melt the peanut butter in the microwave until melted.
Dollop the peanut butter into small drops on top of the batter. Then, use a butter knife to swirl it in on top of the brownie batter.
STEP 8: Bake the brownies. Bake these gooey peanut butter brownies for 40-50 minutes until the middle is slightly underdone. If you stick a toothpick in the center, it will look moist crumbs, but not like brownie batter.
Cool the brownies completely on a wire rack before removing them from the pan and cutting into them.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, this will compact it. Compacted flour leads to a more cakey brownie.
- The sugar and eggs need to be beaten together to get the best texture for the brownies.
- To easily remove the brownies from the pan, spray it with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. This will allow you to easily grab the brownies and remove them from the pan.
- If your brownies are raw in the middle, bake for an extra 5-10 minutes and check them again.
- The brownies are supposed to be underdone in the middle. They finish cooking when they cool. Don't cut into the brownies until completely cool.
They didn't get baked enough. This means the brownies are raw in the middle, and all the air will cause it to collapse. While you can't fix it if it is already sunk, bake for an extra 5-10 minutes.
For thinner brownies you can use a 9X9 inch pan. You can also half the recipe to make these in a 9X5 loaf pan for a small batch recipe.
First, make sure the brownies are cooled. If slightly warm, stick them in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the brownies. Clean the knife after each cut.
Storing and Freezing
Store these peanut butter brownies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
They would be perfect warmed with a large scoop of ice cream!
These brownies can be frozen in individual servings. Wrap each square in a plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Swirled Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ⅓ cups White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- ⅓ cup Oil vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Peanut butter chips
- ¼ cup Peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 8X8 pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Then, add in cornstarch and salt. Melt the butter in the microwave, then let it cool.½ cup All-purpose flour, ¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed in a mixing bowl. Beat for 5 minutes, it will become very pale in color. This helps give the brownies a crinkle top.1 ⅓ cups White granulated sugar, 2 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk
- Add in melted butter, oil, and vanilla. Mix on low speed until just combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined. Use a rubber spatula and scrape the bowl gently.5 tablespoon Unsalted butter, ⅓ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add in chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Fold with a rubber spatula.¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ½ cup Peanut butter chips
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Heat the peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds until fully melted and liquidy.¼ cup Peanut butter
- Use a ½ teaspoon and place peanut butter dollops all over the top of the brownie batter. Use all of the peanut butter. Use a butter knife to gently swirl the peanut butter into the brownie batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The brownies are done when edges are set, but the center is barely set. The middle should jiggle. It will keep cooking once pulled out of oven. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.