These espresso chocolate chip cookies are chewy cookies with crisp edges. They have brown butter espresso. They have a light coffee flavor mixed with the chocolate chips. You need to bake these!
I wanted these espresso chocolate chip cookies to have a stronger coffee flavor. To make these cookies unique, the brown butter is soaked with espresso powder.
Why You Will Love This
- Easy to make!- These cookies require no chill time!
- Brown butter- The cookies use brown butter to give them a more gourmet flavor.
- Espresso powder- The powder is used in the brown butter and in the dry ingredients. It gives these cookies a great speckled look.
- Chewy texture- These cookies have such a chewy texture and crisp edges.
Here are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Butter- The butter is browned in a frying pan. It will reduce some of the water, so that is why 2 egg yolks are needed.
- Espresso powder- Use a high quality espresso powder.
- Eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking.
- Chocolate chips- Use a high quality semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make and bake the cookies.
STEP 1: Brown the butter. Let the butter foam until the milk deposits separate. Then, it will turn amber.
STEP 2: Soak the espresso powder with the browned butter. Next, stir and let it soak for 10-15 minutes.
STEP 3: Mix the dry ingredients together. Next, mix the flour, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 4: Mix the wet ingredients together. Next, mix the brown butter with the sugars. Then, add in the vanilla and eggs. Add in the dry ingredients.
STEP 5: Add the chocolate chips. Next, mix in the chocolate chips.
STEP 6: Scoop the dough. Use a 3oz cookie scoop. It needs to be a heaping scoop. Next, bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes.
Step 7: Place chopped chocolate or chocolate chips on top. Place these on while warm.
When you are baking these cookies, make sure to let the brown butter and espresso cool. If you use it while it is hot, it will cook the eggs.
Make sure to use parchment paper to bake the cookies. Don't use silicone mats or bake on a plain cookie sheet. This will cause the cookies to spread more.
If you want the melted chocolate pools, place chopped chocolate on top. After you place it on while the cookie is warm, it will melt into the cookie.
Yes you can. Make these brown butter chocolate chip cookies.
The espresso makes the chocolate flavor richer.
Yes you can. Make sure it is strong!
I haven't recipe tested this. If you make these cookies with an egg substitute, let me know.
Yes. You can make the cookie dough overnight. First, let it come to room temperature before scooping. You can also freeze the cookie dough balls.
Storing and Freezing
The espresso chocolate chip cookies need to be stored at room temperature. Store in an airtight container. They will last up to 5 days.
Store the cookies in an airtight bag. Freeze up to 30 days. Next, thaw for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted butter browned
- ¼ cup Espresso powder high quality divided
- 1 ¼ cup Brown sugar light or dark packed
- ⅓ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 Egg yolk room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 ¾ cup Chocolate chips semi-sweet or dark.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Keep stirring until the butter starts to foam and the milk deposits separate. Let the butter turn amber. Remove from heat immediately. This part happens quickly.1 cup Unsalted butter
- Pour the brown butter into a glass liquid measuring cup. Stir in ⅛th cup of espresso powder. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Use a fine mesh sieve and run the butter through it. Toss the chunks.¼ cup Espresso powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining ⅛th cup espresso powder, and salt.2 ¼ cups All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the browned butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Mix until smooth. Add in vanilla, eggs, and egg yolks. Mix until combined.1 ¼ cup Brown sugar, ⅓ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Large eggs, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Egg yolk
- Add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Next, add in the chocolate chips.1 ¾ cup Chocolate chips
- Use a 3oz cookie scoop to scoop the dough. Use a heaping scoop. Line the cookie sheet with 6 large cookie dough balls.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes. The cookies are done baking when the edges are golden brown and middles are slightly underdone. Let the cookies sit on the pan for 5 minutes. Top with extra chocolate chips. Transfer to a cooling rack.