These chocolate fudge cupcakes are the most moist cupcakes ever! The cupcakes don't need a mixer! They are topped with a chocolate ganache that is thickened to pipe on top of the cupcakes. It tastes like pure fudge.
These chocolate fudge cupcakes are the easiest to make cupcakes! They make incredible soft cupcakes and you don't even need a mixer!
They are topped with a fudgy frosting made from 2 ingredients!
Why You Will Love This
- No mixer required- This recipe can be made with bowls and a whisk!
- Moist chocolate cupcakes- These cupcakes are incredibly moist. Even while cold!
- Chocolate ganache frosting- This frosting is incredibly easy to make!
Here are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- I use this one. Dutch process cocoa powder makes the cupcakes taste richer.
- Sugar + brown sugar- These use both to give a more moist cupcake.
- Buttermilk- Actual buttermilk from the store is best. See substitutions.
- Hot water- Use hot water from the stove. Tap water won't be hot enough.
- Chocolate chips- Use semi-sweet or dark. Don't use milk chocolate because it will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make the cupcakes and decorate them.
STEP 1: First, use a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients together. Sift the flour and cocoa powder to remove any lumps.
STEP 3: Next, mix wet ingredients. Save the hot water for after everything is mixed.
STEP 4: Then, mix wet ingredients into the dry. Once mixed, add in the hot water very slowly.
STEP 5: Scoop the batter and fill the tin ⅔rds full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
STEP 6: Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips. Let it sit, then mix until smooth and creamy. Pour into 2 bowls.
STEP 7: Chill the the chocolate ganache for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes. It should be like a pudding.
STEP 8: Decorate the cupcakes. Top with the frosting and a truffle.
When making the ganache, if there are any chocolate chunks remaining after stirring heat in the microwave for 10 second intervals. It should be completely smooth.
Once the frosting reaches a soft pudding texture, pipe on top of the frosting immediately.
If the ganache gets too thick or cold. Heat in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. Then, chill again until a pudding texture.
- Buttermilk- Use ½ cup of cow milk and ½ tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Truffle- You can use any truffle on top! Or leave the cupcakes plain with chocolate sprinkles.
- Chocolate frosting- You can also use this frosting from this mini layered cake.
I haven't recipe tested it, but you can use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour blend.
I haven't recipe tested this, but if you do, let me know!
This is usually due to having cold ingredients. Make sure to pull everything out for 2 hours before baking.
Yes! It bakes into very moist cupcakes!
Storing and Freezing
Store these cupcakes in the fridge in a cake carrier. It will last up to 5 days. The frosting will get very thick in the fridge. However, it still tastes great.
Freeze these cupcakes before decorating. Wrap in cling wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Take out to thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup Hot water
- 1 ¾ cups Plus 2 tablespoon Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk until combined.1 cup All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, ¼ cup Brown sugar, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl.⅓ cup Oil, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs, ½ cup Buttermilk
- Heat the water in a sauce pan until hot and steaming. Pour the hot water into the batter a little at a time. Whisk until combined and add in more hot water.½ cup Hot water
- Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin liners ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Pour chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.1 ¾ cups Plus 2 tablespoon Semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Separate the chocolate ganache into 2 bowls. It will thicken faster. Place bowls in the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir the chocolate every 10 minutes. The chocolate ganache will become thick and pipeable. The consistency will be like pudding.
- Pipe the chocolate frosting on the cupcakes.