These chocolate fudge cupcakes are the most moist cupcakes ever! The cupcakes don’t need a mixer! They are topped with a chocolate ganache that is thickened to pipe on top of the cupcakes. It tastes like pure fudge.
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes
These cupcakes are super moist and bake very tall. Here is how to make the batter without a mixer.
- Dry ingredients– Sift all of the dry ingredients in large bowl. Then, whisk until combined. Make sure to sift the flour and cocoa powder to get rid of any lumps.
- Wet ingredients– In a separate bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients together minus the hot water.
- Combine– Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat the water– Heat the water in a sauce pan until hot and steaming.
- Pour in hot water– Very slowly pour in the hot water. Go slow to not over heat the batter.
- Fill cupcake pan– Fill each liner about 3/4 full by using a cookie scoop.
Baking The Cupcakes
Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Then, let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
This is just chocolate chips and heavy cream, so it is very simple to bake. This is my favorite chocolate frosting because it is pure chocolate.
First, pour hot heavy cream over the chocolate chips. Then, let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds before stirring until smooth.
Once it is smooth and glossy, separate into 2 bowls. This is to speed up the chilling process.
Then, let it sit in the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Make sure to stir each bowl every 10 minutes. This will ensure that the chocolate chills at same rate.
The chocolate should resemble pudding and be able to be piped on top of the cupcakes.
This is enough chocolate ganache to pipe a good amount of frosting per cupcake.
Decorating The Cupcakes
I decided to decorate these cupcakes with chocolate sprinkles and truffles.
This is optional of course, but the Ferrero truffles added some height and great texture to these cupcakes.
You can also top these cupcakes with an extra chocolate drizzle, peanut butter chocolates, pretzels, etc.
They are so versatile!
Storing the Cupcakes
Once you pipe the frosting on, the chocolate fudge cupcakes need to be stored in the fridge. Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Making These Cupcakes Ahead Of Time
You can make the cupcakes about 3 days ahead of time. Before frosting, the cupcakes can be stored at room temperature in an air tight container.
Then, you can either make the frosting the same day you make the cupcakes, or make it the day you need the cupcakes for your event.
Freezing The Cupcakes
To freeze the cupcakes, store in an air tight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Let the cupcakes sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour before eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup White granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 1/2 cup Hot water
- 1 3/4 cups Plus 2 TBSP Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Scrape the bowl.
- Heat the water in a sauce pan until hot and steaming. Pour the hot water into the batter a little at a time. Whisk until combined and add in more hot water.
- Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Pour chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot and steaming. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let it sit for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Mix until smooth and glossy.
- Separate the chocolate ganache into 2 bowls. It will thicken faster. Place bowls in the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir the chocolate every 10 minutes. The chocolate ganache will become thick and pipeable. The consistency will be like pudding.
- Pipe the chocolate frosting on the cupcakes.