These better than boxed brownies are dark chocolate fudgy brownies loaded with three types of chocolate chips. They have the perfect crinkle brownie top and are super easy to make.
While boxed brownies are SO good, these are even better! They remind me of the Ghirardelli triple chocolate boxed brownie mix, but these homemade brownies are way fudgier.
There are not many brownies that can compare to a box mix brownies. It is simply magic in a box. These better than boxed mix brownies are even better than that!
This delicious recipe is even simple to make, so you won't feel overwhelmed if you make them for a school bake sale, or even just because you are a brownie lover!
They are incredibly fudgy brownies with three types of chocolate chips. These brownies also have that classic crinkle top.
They are the best brownies hands down!
Why This Better than Boxed Brownie Recipe Works
- Easy to make- These brownies require a mixer to beat the eggs and sugar, but they take less than 10 minutes to make.
- Cocoa powder + chocolate chips- This recipe uses both. No melted chocolate, just cocoa powder! There are also three types of chocolate chips.
- Fudgy texture- These brownies have an incredibly fudgy texture. No cakey brownies here!
- Crinkly top- These delicious brownies have a crinkle top!
Step By Step Recipe Video
Ingredient Notes for Better than Boxed Brownies
- Egg yolk- The extra egg yolk helps to give the brownies an extra fudgy texture.
- Unsalted Butter- The butter needs to be melted and slightly cooled. Too warm and the butter will cook the eggs.
- Oil- Canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil is perfect for this recipe.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- Use dutch process for a deeper and rich chocolate flavor. I used this one.
- Cornstarch- The cornstarch breaks down the gluten and provides a more fudgy texture and a more chewier brownie.
- Chocolate chips- I used semisweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, and mini chocolate chips. You can just use regular chocolate chips.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
- Chocolate chips- You can use any chocolate chips you want.
Step By Step Instructions- Brownie Batter
Here are the steps to make and bake these brownies.
STEP 1: Spray a 9X9 square pan. Spray the pan with non-stick baking spray. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and sides of the pan.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. Use a sifter to make sure all the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder lumps are gone.
Mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl.
STEP 3: Beat eggs and sugar. Next, use a mixer with a whisk attachment. Whip the large eggs and granulated sugar for 5 straight minutes. Just the let the mixer run!
This adds air to the eggs and creates the crackle on top of the brownies.
STEP 4: Add in wet ingredients. Then, add in the melted butter, oil, and vanilla. Mix on low to not deflate the air in the eggs.
STEP 5: Add in dry ingredients. Mix in the dry ingredients on low. Make sure it is completely combined. Then, fold in chocolate chips.
STEP 6: Bake the brownies. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Bake until the edges are set and the middle of the pan is slightly under baked.
STEP 7: Cool the brownies. For the best results, the brownies need to cool completely before cutting into them. They get more cook time as they cool down.
Expert Baking Tips
When you are baking these brownies, you need to be careful when adding in the rest of the ingredients after the eggs are beaten.
If they are added in too fast, the eggs' air will deflate and you won't get as much of a rise from the brownies.
Make sure to spray the pan with baking non-stick spray, so the brownies don't stick to the pan. It is also a good idea to place parchment paper on the bottom of the tray as well.
My last tip, these brownies are also best enjoyed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This means that the brownies were too under done. You will probably have extremely fudgy brownies. Bake the brownies again for another 15-20 minutes to cook them more.
This means the brownies are over baked. Make sure when you bake these, the center is slightly under done.
I have not recipe tested this. If you make these with an egg substitute, let me know.
Yes you can. It will just make thick brownies.
Yes you can. Just double the recipe.
- You can use any mix in's you would like! You can do peanut butter chips, nuts, Nutella, or peanut butter!
- 9X9 pan: I use metal square pans for baking. I don't recommend glass pans.
- Parchment paper: I use premade sheets of parchment paper vs the roll of parchment paper. It makes baking a lot easier!
- Baking spray: I use the nonstick spray that has flour in it.
- Offset spatula: I use this to easily spread the frosting or fillings.
Storing and Freezing
Store these better than boxed brownies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last up to 3-4 days. They are best slightly warm.
Store these baked brownies in the freezer in an airtight container. They will last up to 30 days in the freezer. Thaw for 1 hour before enjoying.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Try These Brownie Recipes
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Better Than Boxed Fudge Brownies
- 2 cup White granulated sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 Large egg yolk
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder dutch process
- 1 ½ tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Milk chocolate
- ⅓ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 9X9 pan with a non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 ½ tablespoon Cornstarch
- Using a mixer, combine sugar, eggs, and egg yolk. Turn the mixer to high and beat for 5 minutes. It will become light and fluffy. While mixing, melt butter in the microwave and let it sit for a few minutes to cool down slightly.2 cup White granulated sugar, 3 Large eggs, 1 Large egg yolk, ½ cup Unsalted butter
- Add in butter, oil, and vanilla. Mix on low until combined. Take bowl off mixer. Add in the dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to very slowly fold in the dry ingredients. Pour in semi-sweet, milk, and mini chocolate chips and fold in.2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Oil, ½ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ½ cup Milk chocolate, ⅓ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Pour batter into pan. Using a rubber spatula, make sure it is even through out pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. The brownies are done when edges are done but the middle isn't set yet. Brownies should appear underdone. They cook more when sitting out. Let sit on counter until top is room temperature.
- Right before serving, cut brownies into 16 squares. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.Powdered sugar for dusting