These hot chocolate cupcakes use hot chocolate in the cake batter and in the frosting! These are moist chocolate cupcakes that uses cocoa powder and hot chocolate. They are topped with a gooey marshmallow. The cupcakes are topped with a hot chocolate frosting.
This post is sponsored by Lifeway and all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Stephanie’s Sweet Treats possible!
These hot chocolate cupcakes not only combine chocolate and marshmallows, they use actual hot chocolate!
The hot water is mixed with hot chocolate mix before added to the cupcake batter. Also, there is a heavy cream hot chocolate mix that gets poured into the frosting.
If you are looking for more Christmas recipes, try gingerbread bundt cake, cinnamon roll cheesecake, and white chocolate toffee cookies.
Why You Will Love This
- Moist chocolate cupcakes- These hot cocoa cupcakes are super moist! They use Kefir and hot chocolate to make them so moist.
- Marshmallows- The cupcakes are topped with gooey marshmallows right before they are done baking.
- Hot chocolate frosting- This amazing frosting tastes just like a cup of hot cocoa!
- Delicious winter-time dessert- These give you the feeling of a mug of hot chocolate in cupcake form.
- Dutch process cocoa powder- This is the one I use. Dutch process makes the cupcakes have a stronger chocolate flavor.
- Oil- Use canola or vegetable oil.
- Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk- Use this as replacement for buttermilk. Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so it is room temperature. See more below.
- Hot chocolate mix- I used Swiss Miss. Make sure there are no mini marshmallows.
- Marshmallows- Use regular size marshmallows.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift the powdered sugar to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature.
What Is Lifeway Kefir?
I already have a chocolate marble loaf cake that uses this Kefir.
Lifeway Kefir is a tangy milk full of live probiotics. It has 12 live and active cultures
What I love about Kefir is it is the perfect replacement for buttermilk. It acts to add moisture to the cupcakes. The fat and the cultures help to break down the gluten strands.
It is perfect for baking!
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these cupcakes.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, eggs, vanilla, and Kefir whole milk. Then, slowly mix in the hot chocolate.
STEP 3: Mix the wet ingredients with the dry. Pour the wet ingredients in. Then, whisk until just combined.
STEP 4: Pour in the cupcake batter. Pour the cupcake batter into the muffin pan with cupcake liners. Fill these ⅔rds full.
STEP 5: Bake the cupcakes. Bake the cupcakes for 17 minutes. Top with marshmallows and bake for another 2 minutes.
STEP 6: Hot chocolate frosting. Beat the butter on high speed. Then, add in sifted powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add in the hot chocolate, vanilla, and salt. Mix until smooth.
Use a piping bag to pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
When you are pressing the marshmallows on top of the cupcakes, lightly press them in. If you press the marshmallow too hard into the top of the cupcake, the cupcake will sink.
The hot chocolate/heavy cream should resemble a thick hot chocolate. Almost like a thin hot fudge.
Make sure the hot chocolate for the frosting is cool before adding to the frosting. Otherwise it will melt the butter.
I strongly recommend you do! Hot cocoa mix really ups the chocolate flavor in the cupcake and in the frosting.
Yes it can! Double the recipe and bake in three 8 inch cake pans.
Yes! Freeze the baked and cooled cupcakes for 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Storing and Freezing
Store these hot chocolate cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge. Store up to 5 days.
Freeze these cupcakes in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Then, thaw for 2 hours before eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup Oil canola or vegatable
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk room temperature
- ½ cup Hot water
- 2 tablespoon Hot chocolate mix without marshmallows
- 12 Marshmallows
Hot Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 3 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 7 tablespoon Heavy cream
- ⅓ cup Hot chocolate mix
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Add in sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.1 cup All-purpose flour, ½ cup Dutch process cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 cup White granulated sugar
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, heat the water and hot chocolate mix. Heat until hot and steaming.½ cup Hot water, 2 tablespoon Hot chocolate mix
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the Kefir milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Very slowly whisk in the hot chocolate. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined.⅓ cup Oil, 2 Large eggs, ½ cup Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔rds full. Bake for 17 minutes.
- Open the over, and top the cupcakes with marshmallows. Bake for 2 more minutes. Take out of the oven and flatten the marshmallows down.12 Marshmallows
- Let the cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.
Hot Chocolate Frosting
- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.1 cup Unsalted butter, 3 cups Powdered sugar, ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- In a small pan over medium-low heat, mix the heavy cream and hot chocolate mix. Heat until the sugar melts and thickens slightly. Cool.7 tablespoon Heavy cream, ⅓ cup Hot chocolate mix
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high for 2 minutes. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add in the salt and vanilla.½ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Pour in the hot chocolate and mix on low until just combined. Switch to high and beat on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Top the cupcakes with the frosting.
Joanna Teo says
Hi, may I know if this recipe can be baked in a 6-inch bundt pan please? If not, how can I change the recipe measurements? Thank you!
Stephanie Rutherford says
Yes you can! Half the recipe and fill the bundt pan 3/4ths full.
I’d love to make your recipes but unfortunately they don’t come in metric measurement😔
Stephanie Rutherford says
I just changed it to include metric. Check it now!