These hot cocoa cookie blossoms taste just like hot chocolate in a cookie! They are fudgy chocolate cookies topped with a melty marshmallow. They are also topped with a Hershey's Hot Cocoa Chocolates! These are perfect to make this holiday season.
I loved recipe testing these Hot cocoa cookie blossoms. I wanted a chocolate cookie that was more fudgy and soft then normal cookie blossoms. There is an extra egg yolk in the cookie dough that gives you just that!
This hot chocolate cookies recipe is a no mixer and no chill recipe so it is super easy to make! The best part about these cookies are the Hershey's kisses Chocolates. They make the whole cookie!
These are perfect for the holiday baking like for a cookie exchange.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make- This recipe is a no chill time and a no mixer recipe. It can be made by hand! It is kid approved!
- Fudgy chocolate cookie- These chocolate cookies stay soft even after 3 days! They have a fudgy and chewy texture.
- Sugar cookies- The chocolate cookies are rolled in white sugar. It makes them look sparkly.
- Marshmallow- The cookies are topped with half of a marshmallow that gets warmed in the oven.
- Tastes just like a hot chocolate!- These cookies with the chocolate and the marshmallows are just like hot chocolate in cookie form.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I recommend using a dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Unsalted butter- The butter is melted and cooled to room temperature. If you use hot butter, it will result in more of a spread.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Egg + Egg yolk- Pull these out 2 hours before baking. The extra egg yolk helps with the fudgy texture.
- Marshmallows- Use 9 regular sized marshmallows cut in half.
- Hershey's Kisses Hot Cocoa Chocolates- I love the hot cocoa chocolates, but milk chocolate ones will work just fine.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy chocolate cookies. For this recipe, you don't need an electric mixer. You need two bowls, whisk, rubber spatula, cookie scoop, and cookie sheets.
STEP 1: Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder together. Add in the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk. Use a whisk to mix until smooth.
STEP 3: Add the flour mixture. Next, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
Then, let the dough rest on the counter while you preheat the oven. This helps to let the gluten absorb and helps to prevent spreading.
STEP 4: Scoop. On a cookie sheet with parchment paper, scoop 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Roll the cookies in white sugar and place back on the cookie sheet.
STEP 5: Bake. Bake for 6 minutes. Next, place half of a marshmallow on top of the cookies. Then, bake for another 2 minutes.
STEP 6: Cool. Cool the cookies on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Next, top with the Hershey's kisses and let it cool completely.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet. If they are still spreading too much this could be the butter was too warm before adding the ingredients. If it still spreads too much, you chill the cookie dough balls for 10-15 minutes.
- If you live at high altitude, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
Yes they can! Store the cookie dough balls in an airtight container or use plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 days. Let the cookie dough balls thaw before baking.
Yes you can. However, I recommend making them into cookie dough balls first before chilling overnight. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Make sure they come to room temperature before baking.
Unfortunately no. Hot chocolate mix has a lot of sugar and other additives. It is best to just use cocoa powder.
Storing and Freezing
Store the hot cocoa cookie blossoms at room temperature in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Hot Cocoa Cookie Blossoms
- 1 ⅓ cup All-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- 9 Marshmallows regular sized
- 18 Hershey's Kisses Hot Cocoa Chocolates
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Add baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.1 ⅓ cup All-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, add the melted butter (it needs to be cooled to room temperature), brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, egg and egg yolk.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 Large egg, 1 Egg yolk
- Add the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Let the dough sit while the oven preheats. This allows the gluten to absorb into the wet ingredients.
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop and scoop the cookie dough. Scoop 12 cookie doughballs per cookie sheet. Take the 18 marshmallows and cut them horizontally, I used kitchen scissors. Set aside.9 Marshmallows
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time. Bake for 6 minutes. Top each cookie in the middle with a marshmallow bake for another 2-3 minutes. OPTIONAL: if the cookies are uneven scoot the cookies with a biscuit cutter so they are perfect circles.
- Let the cookies sit on the hot pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Once they are on the cooling rack top them with Hershey's Kisses. Once cool it can be served.18 Hershey's Kisses Hot Cocoa Chocolates