These maple bacon cupcakes have a maple cupcake that tastes like a fluffy pancake. They are topped with maple frosting and candied bacon. They bring breakfast and dessert together in an amazing combination.
These maple bacon cupcakes are the perfect dessert for any bacon lover. They are moist cupcakes with a delicious flavor that doesn't overpower the flavor of the bacon slices on top. They are the best way to impress your breakfast fans on special occassions.
Why This Maple Bacon Cupcake Recipe Works
- Rich maple flavor- This maple bacon cupcake recipe uses real pure maple syrup for maple flavoring. It is has maple through the cupcakes and the maple frosting.
- Bacon!- We all know maple and bacon are delicious together in a maple bacon donut. Now they can be enjoyed in cupcake form for dessert! The candied bacon pieces look great on top of the cupcakes too.
- Easy recipe- This recipe is broken down into easy steps with simple ingredients to make enjoying these cupcakes as easy as possible!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Oil- A regular vegetable oil or canola oil will work.
- Brown sugar- I used a light brown sugar, but a dark brown sugar will work just as well.
- Large eggs- Take these out 2 hours before baking to get them to room temperature.
- Unsalted butter- Take this out 2 hours before baking to get it to room temperature.
- Cream cheese- Take this out 2 hours before baking to get it to room temperature.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift this to avoid gritty frosting.
- Sour cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Maple syrup- Use real maple syrup. It gives a much better flavor than the flavored corn syrup stuff.
Step By Step Instructions - Maple Cupcakes
Here is how to make and bake the maple cupcakes. This recipe uses an electric mixer. A stand mixer with paddle attachment or a hand mixer will work.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. Sift the all purpose flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
STEP 3: Beat butter, oil, and sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar together with a mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients. Add the vanilla, maple extract, maple syrup, and sour cream to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the eggs and mix on medium speed until smooth.
STEP 5: Combine. Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Mix them in until just combined. Then, add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the remaining buttermilk. Mix them until just combined, then add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
STEP 6: Scoop. Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin tin until each cup is ⅔ full.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake the cupcakes for 15-17 minutes. They are done baking when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
STEP 8: Cool. Let the cupcakes cool in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step By Step Instructions - Candied Bacon and Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Here is how to make the candied bacon and maple cream cheese frosting for the maple bacon cupcakes.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil to capture the mess. Place a cooling rack on top.
STEP 2: Coat bacon. Place the bacon on the cooling rack. Drizzle maple syrup over the bacon and sprinkle brown sugar on top. You only need to do the top side.
STEP 3: Bake bacon. Bake for 25 minutes until slightly crispy. The brown sugar should melt with the bacon fat and brown on the cookie sheet.
STEP 4: Cut bacon. Once the bacon has cooled, cut it into pieces to top the cupcakes.
STEP 5: Sift powdered sugar. Sift the powdered sugar for the frosting into a medium bowl.
STEP 6: Beat butter and cream cheese. Use a mixer to beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed for 2 minutes until it is fluffy and creamy.
STEP 7: Mix frosting. Slowly add the powdered sugar to the butter mixture while mixing on low speed. Then, add the syrup, maple extract, and salt. Mix on high speed until combined.
STEP 8: Frost cupcakes. Frost the cupcakes and add the bacon pieces on top.
Expert Baking Tips for Bacon Maple Cupcakes
- Flour- Make sure to spoon and level the flour. If you stick the measuring cup into a bag of flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will cause a dry cupcake.
- Make sure your cupcakes are fully cooled before decorating them. Hot cupcakes can melt the frosting and make decorating difficult.
- The bacon can be adjusted to your personal preference of crispiness. Do make sure to decorate with small enough pieces that your cupcakes are not difficult to bite into!
Yes it can! Freeze the cupcakes after they cooled by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Yes it can! bake for 8-10 minutes instead.
Yes! This recipe can be made in a 8X8 inch baking pan or 9X9 inch baking pan to make a maple bacon cake.
Storing and Freezing
These maple bacon cupcakes need to be stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge up to 5 days. The cupcakes taste best when set at room temperature for 1 hour before eating.
The frosted maple bacon cupcakes can be frozen in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before adding the bacon and eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Oil canola or vegetable
- ¼ cup Real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Maple extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ½ lb Thick cut bacon
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ⅛ cup Maple syrup
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoon Maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Maple extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a separate bowl using a mixer, beat the butter, oil and sugar together on high speed. Beat for 2 minutes.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon Oil
- Add in vanilla, maple extract, maple syrup, and sour cream. Mix until combined. Add in the eggs. Mix on medium until smooth.¼ cup Real maple syrup, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Maple extract, 2 Large eggs, ¼ cup Sour cream
- Add in ⅓ of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Mix until just combined. Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Finish with the rest of the dry ingredients.½ cup Buttermilk
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin tin. Fill it ⅔rds full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cupcakes sit in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a cookie sheet with foil (this makes a mess!). Top the cookie sheet with a cooling rack.
- Place the bacon on the cooling rack. Drizzle the maple syrup and sprinkle the brown sugar on top. It only needs to be on one side of the bacon.½ lb Thick cut bacon, ½ cup Brown sugar, ⅛ cup Maple syrup
- Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly crispy. All the brown sugar will melt with the bacon fat and it will brown on the bottom of the cookie sheet.
- Once the bacon is cooled. Cut the bacon into smaller pieces to top the cupcakes.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, sift the powdered sugar.3 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed for 2 minutes. It will be fluffy and creamy.4 oz Cream cheese, ¾ cup Unsalted butter
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Mix on low. Add in syrup, maple extract, and salt. Mix on high speed until combined and the frosting is creamy and smooth.2 tablespoon Maple syrup, ½ teaspoon Maple extract, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Frost the cupcakes and top with the bacon.