These salted caramel brownies are fudgy brownies with homemade salted caramel. There is caramel in the middle of the brownie batter. Then, after it is done baking it is poked with more caramel. They have a strong caramel flavor all the way through!
These salted caramel brownies really celebrate gooey caramel all inside of amazing brownies. They are perfect for chocolate lovers and caramel lovers. If you or your loved ones love caramel it will be your new favorite brownie recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
- Homemade caramel- This homemade salted caramel is delicious and has the perfect texture for the brownies! It is inside the brownies, on top, and soaked through! You can't have too much of a good thing.
- Fudgy brownies- These homemade brownies are soft, fudgy, and delicious like all of the best brownies.
- Homemade brownies- Homemade hot brownies from scratch are better than boxed brownie mix. This is doubly true when you can fill them with homemade caramel sauce, too!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Unsalted Butter- Take this out 2 hours before baking so it can get to room temperature.
- Heavy Cream- Take this out 2 hours before baking so it can get to room temperature.
- Eggs- Take these out 2 hours before baking so it can get to room temperature.
- Powdered sugar- For best results, be sure to sift this as clumps can cause gritty texture.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I strongly recommend dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate chips- I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate as it will be a little bit too sweet.
- Salted caramel- For more detailed instructions on making the salted caramel see this homemade salted caramel recipe.
Step By Step Instructions - Salted Caramel
Here is how to make and bake this salted caramel for the salted caramel brownies. For a more in depth instructions see this salted caramel recipe.
STEP 1: Melt sugar. Pour the sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat it over medium heat until it starts melting. Then, use a metal whisk to stir occasionally until it is mostly melted. Then, stir continuously until it is completely melted.
STEP 2: Cook sugar and butter. Let the sugar sit in the heat until it turns amber in color. This will happen over a few seconds so watch it carefully. Then, take it off the heat and add half of the cubed butter. Mix it until it is melted, then add the remaining butter and mix it until melted and bubbly.
STEP 3: Finish caramel. Add half of the heavy cream and mix it until combined. Then, add the rest of the cream and mix it in. Mix in the vanilla extract and salt. Pour the caramel into a small bowl to cool completely.
STEP 4: Prep for brownies. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Meanwhile, spray a 9X9 baking pan with baking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper with 2 sides coming up enough to use as handles later. Finally, spray it again.
Step By Step Instructions - Salted Caramel Brownies
Here is how to make and bake the salted caramel brownies.
STEP 1: Dry ingredients. Mix the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl. Set it aside.
STEP 2: Beat sugar and eggs. Using a mixer with whisk attachment and large bowl, beat the sugar, powdered sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 3: Combine. Add the melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract then mix them on low until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix again until fully combined.
STEP 4: Mix in chocolate chips. Take the batter off the mixer and add the chocolate chips. Mix them in with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until just combined in.
STEP 5: Pour. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Next, pour half of the salted caramel in an even layer on top of the brownies. Leave approximately 1 inch around the border clear of caramel. Top it with the rest of the brownie batter.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake the brownies for 40-45 minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out with moist crumbs. If it is still batter bake for an additional 5 minutes. Then, let the brownies cool in the hot pan on a cooling rack.
STEP 7: Top with caramel. Take the brownies out of the pan and place them on a cutting board. Poke holes in the brownies with a skewer all over. Pour the rest of the caramel over top spread evenly over the holes.
STEP 8: Caramel soak. Let the brownies sit for 10 minutes to allow the caramel to seep into the holes before cutting them into squares.
Expert Baking Tips
- To make brownie recipes more fudgy you include more egg yolk and cornstarch.
- The extra egg yolk adds more fats to the recipe which helps give that moist and soft texture compared to the tougher, more cakey texture from the gluten in the flour.
- The cornstarch helps by breaking down the gluten strands from the flour as well leading to a more fudgy brownie.
- When doing the toothpick test make sure that there is not wet batter. If there is you need to bake them for a few more minutes. There should be moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Make sure none of the caramel layer reaches the edge of the pan or it will harden after baking.
This means that the brownies were too under done. You will probably have extremely fudgy brownies. Bake the pan of brownies again for another 5-10 minutes to cook them more.
This means the brownies are over baked. Make sure when you bake these, the center is slightly under done. You should get moist brownie crumbs when testing with a toothpick.
Yes you can. It will just make thick brownies. They will require more bake time than a big pan due to being thicker.
Storing and Freezing
Store these salted caramel brownies in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store at room temperature up to 5 days.
You can freeze the salted caramel brownies in individual brownie slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
- ½ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cups White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 3 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder I use dutch process
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar. Let it sit until it starts to melt. Then, use a whisk to mix. It will be very clumpy. Stir the sugar occasionally until almost all the way melted. Stir continuously until all the way melted.1 cup White granulated sugar
- Let it sit until amber in color. This will take seconds after it is melted. Remove from heat. Add half of the cubed butter and whisk until melted. Add the rest of the butter. It will be very bubbly.4 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Add half of the cream and mix. Then, add the rest of the cream. Add the salt and vanilla. Put the pan back on the heat. Mix continulously for about 3 minutes. Take off the heat and pour into a glass measuring cup. Cool for at least 30 minutes.½ cup Heavy cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 9X9-inch square pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.1 cup All-purpose flour, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the sugar, powdered sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed for 2 minutes.1 ½ cups White granulated sugar, ½ cup Powdered sugar, 3 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk
- Add in the melted butter, oil, and vanilla and mix on low until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until almost all the way combined.½ cup Unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Oil
- Take off the mixer, add in the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the pan. Pour half of the salted caramel in the pan. Spread over the batter evenly. Leave about 1 inch border around the pan. This will prevent the caramel from hardening after baking. Top with the rest of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Brownies are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. If it has batter, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan on a cooling rack completely.
- Remove the cooled brownies from the pan on to a cutting board. Use a skewer to poke small holes all over the brownies. Top with the rest of the caramel. Spread over the holes evenly.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes for the caramel to seep into the holes and cut into squares.