This mini layered cake is the perfect cake for a birthday party. It is a moist funfetti layered cake baked in three 6 inch cake pans. It filled and topped with a creamy chocolate cream cheese frosting. This is the perfect small batch cake!
When I thought of the perfect mini layered cake, I wanted one that would be great for a birthday. Nothing says birthday like funfetti and chocolate frosting!
This funfetti cake recipe is similar to my cookie dough cupcakes and the chocolate frosting is just like the triple chocolate cake recipe. I was also inspired by mini chocolate cake. All together this perfect 6 inch cake was born.
Why You Will Love This
- It is mini!- This cake batter is the same for 12 cupcakes, but separated into three 6 inch cake pans.
- Funfetti cake layers- There is nothing more fun then funfetti cake. It tastes so different from plain vanilla!
- Chocolate cream cheese frosting- This frosting is ultra creamy, but it is stiff enough to pipe. I added extra cocoa powder to give it a stronger chocolate flavor.
- Quick to decorate- This whole cake can be decorated in 30 minutes after the frosting is made.
Here are some notes about the ingredients used.
- All-purpose flour- Basic all-purpose flour is needed for this recipe. Don't use cake flour.
- Butter- Make sure the butter is room temperature before using.
- Oil- Canola or vegetable is fine. I haven't tested this with coconut oil.
- Sour cream- Make sure the sour cream is full fat. The fat content helps to make the cake moist. Also, it needs to be room temperature.
- Clear vanilla- You can use regular vanilla. However, the clear vanilla gives the cake a sweeter taste.
- Sprinkles- I LOVE these sprinkles. They are high quality and won't leave the cake a chalky taste.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat room temperature cream cheese. Don't use the ⅓ fat.
- Cocoa powder- This is the cocoa powder I used. Please use dutch process cocoa powder.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the step by step instructions to make the cake and frosting.
STEP 1: You need three 6 inch cake pans. Spray them well with baking spray to prevent the cake from stick. In a mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients.
STEP 2: Beat the butter, oil, and sugar on high. It will become white in color and very fluffy. Add in the sour cream, vanilla, and eggs. Then, mix until combined.
STEP 3: Alternate the dry ingredients and buttermilk and mix until combined. Gently fold in the sprinkles. Be gentle so none of the colors bleed into the cake.
STEP 4: Next, pour cake batter into the cake pans and bake for 23-25 minutes. Allow the cakes to cool completely before decorating.
STEP 5: For the frosting, let the butter sit for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Then, beat the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
STEP 6: Next, add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Mix until it becomes light and fluffy. Decorate the cake immediately.
Assembling The Cake Tips
First, you need to place a dollop of frosting on the board you are decorating on. I decorated on the cake stand. This will keep the cake from sliding around.
These cakes bake pretty even, if there is a dome use a serrated knife to make the cakes even.
Use a ¾ measuring cup to measure out the frosting for the filling. Use an offset spatula to make sure it is completely even before adding the next layer.
The last layer of cake goes on bottom side up. This lets the cake have the flattest surface for the top of the cake.
Apply a light layer of frosting and freeze the cake for 15 minutes. This will be the crumb coat layer of the cake. It will lock the crumbs into place. It will also firm the cake layers together.
To get the ruffled look on the cake, use the edge of an offset spatula. Go around the entire cake after you frost it.
Yes you can! It will make 12 cupcakes. If you want a lot of frosting, keep the frosting as is If you want less, half the frosting.
No, these are too small of a sprinkle. It will bleed into the cake. Use the jimmie sprinkles.
I have not recipe tested this. You can try, or look at other vegan bloggers.
Yes, you 1:1 gluten free flour.
You need to sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder before adding to the frosting.
Yes, freeze the cake layers and wrap in cling wrap. Before decorating, let thaw for 1 hour.
Storing and Freezing
This mini layered cake needs to be stored in an airtight container like a cake carrier in the fridge. It needs to be chilled because of the cream cheese frosting. It will last up to 5 days.
Let cake stand for 1 hour to get a soft cake after it is chilled.
The mini layered cake can be frozen in individual cake slices. Wrap in cling wrap and store in the freezer up to 30 days.
To thaw, let the cakes sit for 1 hour before eating.
Other Cake Recipes To Make
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Mini Layered Cake
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Oil canola or vegetable
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ⅛ cup Sour cream room temperature
- ½ tablespoon Clear vanilla
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup Rainbow Jimmie sprinkles
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 6 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Extra sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray three 6 inch cake pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms with parchment circles and spray again.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Add in the sour cream and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add in the eggs and mix until combined.
- Add in ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Mix. Add in another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Then, finish with the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl and mix for 10 seconds.
- Add in the sprinkles and gently fold with a rubber spatula. Divide batter evenly between the three cake pans.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes. The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake set for 10 minutes in the pan. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Allow cakes to cool completely.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. While it sits, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together on high for 2 minutes. It will be fluffy and soft. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Scrape the bowl.
- Add in vanilla and heavy cream and beat until fluffy and creamy.
- Pipe a small amount of frosting on the board/plate you are decorating the cake on. This will be the glue for the frosting.
- Place the 1st layer of cake bottom side down. Scoop ¾ cup of frosting and small over the cake. Repeat with the second layer. Place the last layer bottom side up.
- Smooth the side of the cake. Apply a very light layer of frosting over the cake. It should have peeps of cake poking out. Freeze for 15 minutes to lock the crumbs in.
- Frost the rest of the cake. Freeze for 5 minutes. The apply sprinkles to the bottom of the cake. Pipe extra frosting decoration on top. Sprinkle extra sprinkles on top of the cake.