This mini vanilla cake is a perfect cake for two or for a small birthday party. This is two small fluffy vanilla cake layers filled with cream cheese frosting. The cake is decorated in fun sprinkles, perfect for a birthday or special occasion!
When I was recipe testing this mini vanilla cake, I wanted it to be very easy to make. It has two 6 inch vanilla cake layers with one layer of frosting as the filling. This cake is so cute!
Sometimes a small group just needs small cakes! This makes a perfect mini birthday cake with full sized fun! Smaller cakes are the best way to make sure you have the perfect amount of cake.
For more mini desserts, try Mini Layered Cake, Mini Oreo Cheesecakes, and Lemon Mini Bundt Cakes.
Why This Recipe Works
- Mini cake- This cake recipe is a two layer cake. It is a 6inch cake and perfect for a small party, or just for you!
- Vanilla cake- This vanilla cake is very soft, moist, and fluffy. It is full of great vanilla cake flavor!
- Cream cheese frosting- Cream cheese buttercream is my favorite frosting. It pairs so well with this cake. I do have information if you want to a vanilla buttercream instead.
- Easy to make- This cake is so easy to make! Just two cake layers and frosting!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull the butter for the cake, out 2 hours before baking. For the butter in the frosting, it needs to be slightly cold. Slightly cold butter is best for decorating the cake with.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking. It needs to be room temperature.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking. It needs to be room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- You use pure vanilla or clear vanilla.
- Buttermilk- Pull this out 2 hours before baking. Buttermilk is best, but you can use ½ cup of whole milk and add ½ Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream. Pull this out 2 hours before baking. It needs to be room temperature.
Step By Step Directions- Cake Layers
Here is how to make and bake this vanilla cake. This recipe needs a stand mixer or a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. Use a sifter to prevent any all-purpose flour lumps. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients.
STEP 2: Beat butter, oil, and sugar. Beat these in a large bowl on high speed. Then, add in the sour cream and vanilla. Mix this on medium speed.
Then, add in the eggs.
STEP 3: Add in flour mixture and buttermilk. Alternate between these two until combined. Make sure to mix on low speed and mix until just combined.
Also, make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula.
STEP 4: Pour the cake batter. Divide batter into two 6-inch cake pans.
The prepared cake pan needs to be sprayed with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom with a 6inch parchment paper circle. This will make sure the cakes come out smoothly.
STEP 5: Bake the cake. Bake the cake layers for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
Step By Step Directions- Cream Cheese Frosting
STEP 1: Beat butter and cream cheese. Make sure to beat these on high speed for 3 minutes for it to get very fluffy.
STEP 2: Add in the powdered sugar. Add the powdered sugar in very slowly. It will be very thick.
Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl!
STEP 3: Add in the rest of ingredients. Next, add in the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. It will be very creamy and fluffy!
If you want vanilla butter cream instead, remove the cream cheese and increase the butter to 1 cup. Also, reduce the powdered sugar to 3 cups.
Assembling The Cake Tips
- If your cake have a dome, use a serrated knife to make the cake layers even.
- Place the first cake layer down and spread ¾ cup of frosting over the cake. Use a small offset spatula to spread the frosting.
- Place the second cake down with the bottom side facing up. This gives the flattest layer on top.
- Next, frost the cake in the lightest layer of frosting. Freeze for 15 minutes to lock the crumbs in place. I use a cake scrapper to get smooth sides.
- Frost the sides of the cake and the top of the cake with frosting.
Decorating The Cake
On the top of the cake I used an offset spatula to create a swirl.
Then, I used Wilton tip 1M to pipe the border on top with a piping bag. Top the cake with fun sprinkles.
Yes you can! It makes 12 cupcakes.
You can three thinner cake layers in 6inch cake pans.
This will make an 8X8 inch square baking dish or 9X9 inch square baking dish. Double the recipe to use a 9X13 cake pan.
Storing and Freezing
Store this mini vanilla cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
The cake taste best at room temperature.
The cake can be frozen in individual cake slices. Wrap the slices in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before eating.
The cake layers can be made ahead of time. Wrap the cooled cakes in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
Mini Vanilla Cake
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 7 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Oil canola or vegetable oil
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- ¾ tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 4 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ cup Heavy cream
- Sprinkles optional for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 6-inch cake pans with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms with 6-inch parchment paper circles. Spray again.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour. Add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes. It will be light in color. Add in sour cream and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. Scrape the bowl.7 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon Oil, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, ¾ tablespoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Sour cream
- Add in the eggs and mix in on medium-high speed. Add eggs one at a time. Beat on medium for 1 minutes.2 Large eggs
- Add in ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Mix in on low. Add in another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Finish with the rest of dry ingredients.½ cup Buttermilk
- Pour the batter evenly into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cakes sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Set the butter on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar while you wait.¾ cup Unsalted butter, 4 cups Powdered sugar
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on high speed for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl and slowly add in the powdered sugar.4 oz Cream cheese
- Add in vanilla, salt, and heavy cream. Mix on low until combined. Switch to high speed and beat on high speed for 1-2 minutes.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ⅛ cup Heavy cream
Assembling The Cake
- Use a serrated knife to cut the domes off the cakes. You want perfectly even cake layers. Place a small amount of frosting on the board you are decorating on.
- Place the 1st layer of cake down. Spread ¾ cup of frosting over the cake. Top with the second layer. For the flattest surface, flip the cake layer upside down, so the bottom of the cake layer is facing up.
- Spread a light layer of frosting over the cake. This is called the crumb coat layer. Freeze for 15 minutes to lock the crumbs in.
- Frost the rest of the cake. Pipe extra decoration on top and top with sprinkles.Sprinkles
Would I need to double or triple the recipe for an 8 or 9 inch cake?
Stephanie Rutherford says
Double the recipe.
Is there anything I can substitute the sour cream with? Or is it a must?
Thanks a lot!
Stephanie Rutherford says
You can use greek yogurt!
Hi Stephanie, can I bake this cake in a 10x3 pan?
Stephanie Rutherford says
Yes you can! It will make one layer.