These peanut butter banana muffins are super moist banana muffins that have both peanut butter and chocolate chips. They are great to make when you have extra ripe bananas around. It is a great recipe if you want a delicious quick breakfast.
These peanut butter banana muffins are the perfect match between banana and peanut butter. They have a delicious soft texture that will make you want to come back later for an afternoon snack, too! Next time you have extra banana to use you will think of muffins instead of banana bread!
Why This Recipe Works
- Banana and peanut butter flavor- Peanut butter and banana flavor are a combination that just works. It is the perfect flavor for starting your day right.
- Moist muffin- These are perfectly moist and tender muffins that make you want to keep eating them until they are gone.
- Easy muffins- This is an easy recipe, broken down into 8 simple steps so even first time muffin bakers can have delicious a homemade muffin!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream or greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before using.
- Baking powder + Baking soda- Both are used to give the muffins a better rise.
- Unsalted butter- The butter needs to be melted and then cooled before use. If it is too warm it will affect the texture.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar, but dark brown sugar will work too.
- Semisweet chocolate chips- You can substitute in dark chocolate chips, but I do not recommend using milk chocolate chips as they will be too sweet.
- Bananas- If you don't have overripe bananas you can use whatever bananas you have.
- Peanut butter- For this recipe I recommend creamy peanut butter not crunchy peanut butter so it mixes in more smoothly. I also don't recommend natural peanut butter as it can have a different texture.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these peanut butter banana muffins.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Next, line two 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners (if you don't have 2 muffin tins you will need to prep it again after your first batch). Only place liners in every other cup for a total of 6 liners per pan to help the muffins bake and rise.
STEP 2: Dry ingredients. Mix the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
Mash the three bananas on a plate using a potato masher or fork now.
STEP 3: Beat butter and sugar. Use a mixer and large bowl to beat the melted butter, brown sugar, and peanut butter on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Combine. Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, and eggs. Mix them in on medium speed until combined. Then, pour in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips. Mix them on low speed until combined.
STEP 5: Scoop. Use a large cookie scoop (2TBSP or 2 oz) to scoop the batter. You should have a heaping scoop in each liner filling each to the top with batter.
STEP 6: Top muffins. Sprinkle coarse sugar over the muffins. Finally, add extra chocolate chips on top.
STEP 7: Bake. Bake 1 baking tray at a time. Bake for 8 minutes at 425°F then, reduce the heat to 375°F for another 6-8 minutes. The muffins are done baking when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
STEP 8: Cool. Let the muffins sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will dry out the muffins.
- Bake 6 muffins at a time, to get a bigger rise and larger dome. A bigger rise also gives them a better texture.
- It is incredibly easy to over mix muffin batter. As soon as it is combined, stop mixing.
- Resting the batter for 30 minutes helps the muffins get a higher rise.
Make sure that the dairy ingredients are at room temperature before using. Also, the sour cream will help the muffins be very fluffy.
Dry muffins have to do with over baking or over measuring too much flour. If your oven runs hot, check the muffins early.
Yes you can! You will have to reduce your bake time compared to regular size muffins.
Why do you only put 6 muffins in your 12 muffin pan?
Separating the muffins only using alternating muffin cups allows the air to get to the muffins evenly. This will also allow them to bake faster than a full 12 muffins. This extra room will give your muffins a larger rise and incorporate more air for an better texture.
Storing and Freezing
Store these banana peanut butter muffins in the fridge in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days.
The banana peanut butter muffins can be frozen. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw frozen muffin for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Muffin Recipes To Try
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup Peanut butter creamy
- ¼ cup Sour cream or greek yogurt room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 3 Ripe medium bananas equal to ¾th cup
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more to top the muffins
- Coarse sugar in the raw To top the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 425℉. Line two 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners (or just one pan at a time) Fill every other cup with a muffin liner, 6 liners per pan. This helps the bake and rise.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. Mash the three bananas on a plate using a potato masher or a fork.2 cups All-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Salt, 3 Ripe medium bananas
- In a large mixing bowl using a mixer, beat the melted butter, brown sugar, and peanut butter on high speed for 2 minutes.½ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Brown sugar, ½ cup Peanut butter
- Add in the sour cream, vanilla, mashed banana, and eggs. Mix on medium until combined.¼ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs
- Pour in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips. Mix on low speed until combined.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the batter. It should be a heaping scoop into each liner. It should be full to the top with batter.
- Sprinkle coarse sugar over the muffins. Add extra chocolate chips on top.Coarse sugar in the raw
- Bake for 8 minutes at 425℉. The, reduce the heat to 375℉ for another 6-8 minutes. Muffins are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the muffins sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool.