This chocolate zucchini bread tastes like chocolate cake but with zucchini. It is a super moist chocolate bread with chocolate chips. This recipe is perfect to use when it is zucchini season!
This chocolate zucchini bread is my favorite way to use extra zucchini. Of all the zucchini recipes I have tried this is hands down the most delicious. This decadent chocolate bread is an upgrade from classic zucchini bread that tastes like actual chocolate cake! If you have a sweet tooth this is a really great way to use your extra veggies and score some easy breakfasts.
Why This Recipe Works
- Zucchini bread texture- This chocolate zucchini bread has the same tender and moist texture of the best zucchini breads!
- Chocolate flavor- Chocolate makes everything better, and this chocolate zucchini bread proves it!
- Easy recipe- This simple recipe is broken down into a few easy to follow steps, so you will have a delicious breakfast in no time!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I recommend using a dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Unsalted butter- Melt this before you need it so it has time to cool a bit.
- Grated zucchini- This should be pressed down when measuring to compact it. You do not need to compact it aggressively, just a firm enough press for a consistent measurement.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Large eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Sour cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate zucchini bread. This recipe uses an electric mixer and a fine box grater.
STEP 1: Prep. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, spray a 9X5 inch loaf pan with baking spray. Line parchment paper across the bottom coming up both sides high enough to use as handles and spray baking spray again.
STEP 2: Grate zucchini. Use a fine grater to grate 1 ½ cups of zucchini. It should be compacted to measure.
STEP 3: Beat butter and sugar. Place the melted butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat it on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Wet ingredients. Add the grated zucchini, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix them in until combined.
STEP 5: Dry ingredients. Add the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix them in on low speed until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips last and mix them in.
STEP 6: Pour. Pour the chocolate batter into the prepared pan. Then, place extra chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips on top.
STEP 7: Bake. This bread needs 60-70 minutes bake time. It is done baking when a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. It takes longer than many loafs due to the moisture from the zucchini.
STEP 8: Cool. Let the baked loaf cool in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure the flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cake to be dry.
- To easily remove the bread from the pan. Make sure to first spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom with parchment paper, so when it is time to remove the cake, it can be easily lifted out of the pan.
- Make sure to not over mix the batter, so it doesn't get tough.
- Make sure to mix the butter and sugar fully. Dissolving the sugar into the butter fully helps create a consistent structure in the bread.
Yes it can! It can be made into a 8X8-inch square pan or 9X9-inch square pan.
Yes it can! It will make 12-18 muffins! Bake for 18-20 minutes.
If your bread is dry you either added too much flour (be sure not to compact your flour) or it was overbaked.
Storing and Freezing
Store the chocolate zucchini bread in an airtight container in the fridge up to 5 days. It needs to go in the fridge because of the frosting.
Wrap the individual slices in plastic wrap or use an airtight storage container. Keep it in the freezer up to 30 days.
Other Breakfast Bread Recipes To Try
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 ⅓ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted
- ¾ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 ½ cups Grated zucchini 1 ½ medium zucchinis
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips plus for on top
- ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips plus for on top
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Spray a 9X5-inch loaf pan with baking spray. Line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper. Spray again.
- Grate the zucchini using a fine grater. It should be a compacted 1 ½ cups of zucchini.1 ½ cups Grated zucchini
- In a medium bowl using a hand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on high speed for 2 minutes.½ cup Unsalted butter, ¾ cup Brown sugar
- Add the grated zucchini, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix until combined.2 Large eggs, ¼ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips.1 ⅓ cups All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ¼ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Pour the chocolate batter into the loaf pan. Top with extra chocolate chips and mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. Bake until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. It has a longer baking time because of the moisture from the zucchini.
- Let the bread sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting into.