These snowman cookies are a gingerbread Christmas cookie, topped with a peanut butter cup, melted white chocolate and snowman sprinkles. They look like melted snowmen!
These snowman cookies are the perfect treat for your holiday season! They are fun cookies that are simple to make and will be a favorite recipe for your whole family. The best part is they use simple ingredients you can find in the baking aisle of your local grocery store! You will love these melted snowmen cookies!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy cookie recipe- These adorable melted snowman cookies are so easy to make and don't take too much time. If you want to make home-baked cookies these are a great way to impress without working too hard.
- So cute- These cute cookies always get lots of compliments, especially the little carrot nose!
- Christmas cookies- This Christmas cookie recipe is so much fun. It is a great cookie for spreading holiday cheer.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Butter- Make sure to melt and cool this prior to needing it.
- Brown Sugar- I used light brown sugar, but dark will work as well.
- Egg- Pull the egg out 2 hours prior to baking to get to room temperature.
- Molasses- Don't use blackstrap molasses. it is more bitter and not interchangeable. I used Grandma's molasses.
- Reese's- If you use a different brand just make sure they are similar size to regular Reese's
- White chocolate- For the white chocolate use the bars, not chips. The chips don't always melt as smoothly. I used Lindt white chocolate bars
- Sprinkles- I recommend this Snowman sprinkle pack. You can use small black round sprinkles for the eyes and orange jimmies for the noses if you don't have a convenient pack.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these snowman cookies. You will not need an electric mixer.
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
STEP 2: Mix wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the room temperature melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, egg, egg yolk, and molasses. Whisk until it is smooth and combined.
STEP 3: Combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine them with a rubber spatula until just combined.
Let the dough rest while you heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 4: Bake cookies. Use a 3TBSP large scoop to scoop 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.
Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are lightly golden brown.
STEP 5: Cool cookies. Let the cookies sit in the tray for 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven. Then transfer them to a wire rack until the cookies have cooled completely.
STEP 6: Melt white chocolate. Melt the white chocolate bars in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir it, then heat for 15 second intervals until it is all melted.
STEP 7: Cover in chocolate. Place a peanut butter cup face down on top of each cookie. Then pour 1 tablespoon of white chocolate over each. Lightly shake the cookie to help melt spread the melted chocolate down the peanut butter cup and onto the cookie.
STEP 8: Decorate. Place the sprinkle eyes and carrot nose orange sprinkles on the snowman face to make little snowmen.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure your flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cookies to not spread.
- If the cookies are spreading, make sure you are using parchment paper on the cookie sheet. If they are still spreading too much this could be because the butter was too warm before adding the ingredients. If it still spreads too much, you chill the cookie dough balls for 10-15 minutes.
- If you live at high altitude, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of flour. This will help with the spread.
With different sizes of cookies the peanut butter cup will not fit the same way. If you decide to make smaller cookies use a small cookie scoop to scoop 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
Yes they can! Store the cookie dough balls in an airtight container or use plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 30 days. Let the cookie dough balls thaw before baking.
Yes you can. However, I recommend making them into cookie dough balls first before chilling overnight. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Make sure they come to room temperature before baking.
Storing and Freezing
Store the snowman cookies at room temperature in an air-tight container up to 5 days.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container, such as a freezer bag, and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Christmas Cookie Recipes To Try
- 2 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- ¼ cup Molasses I use Grandma's molasses. Don't use blackstrap.
- White granulated sugar for rolling the cookie dough
- 16 Reese's peanut butter cups regular size
- 8 oz White chocolate bars melted. I used Lindt white chocolate bars
- Snowman sprinkle pack.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Set aside.2 ¾ cups All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 teaspoon Salt, 2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter (make sure it is cooled to room temperature before using), brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, egg, egg yolk, and molasses. Use a whisk to mix until combined and smooth.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, ½ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 Large egg, 1 Egg yolk, ¼ cup Molasses
- Add in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Let cookie dough sit while the oven preheats. This helps with spreading.
- Use a large cookie scoop (3 TBSP) and scoop the cookie dough. Roll the cookie dough balls in the sugar. Place 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet.White granulated sugar
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool the cookies completely before decorating.
- Place the white chocolate bars into a microwave safe and start by heating in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Then, heat for 15 second intervals until the white chocolate is melted.8 oz White chocolate bars
- Place a peanut butter cup upside down on the center of each cookie. Use 1 tablespoon and pour on white chocolate. Lightly shake the cookie so it melts down the peanut butter cup and on the top of the cookie. It needs to cover the peanut butter cup and then look more like a melted snowman.16 Reese's peanut butter cups
- Top with eyes and a carrot. Then, let the white chocolate set slightly before serving.Snowman sprinkle pack.