These white chocolate cupcakes taste just like a giant truffle in cupcake form! They are moist vanilla cupcakes with a Lindt white chocolate truffle baked right into the cupcake. The cupcakes are topped with a creamy white chocolate frosting. When you bite into the cupcake, the inside of the truffle will ooze right out!
When I was recipe testing white chocolate cupcakes I wanted an easy recipe that makes the cupcake taste gourmet.
The cupcakes are filled with a white chocolate truffle, which makes them super easy to make! These fluffy cupcakes are perfect for a special occasion like valentine's day!
Why You Will Love This White Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- Moist vanilla cupcakes- These cupcakes are super moist cupcakes because they are beaten for a total of 5 minutes. This really aerates the butter and gives the cupcakes a great crumb.
- White chocolate truffle filled- The cupcakes have an entire truffle in the middle.
- White chocolate buttercream frosting- This frosting is incredible. It honestly tastes like a truffle in frosting form.
- Easy to make-These cupcakes look incredible, but they are easy to make. They have a great white chocolate flavor.
Ingredient Notes for White Chocolate Cupcakes
- Flour- Make sure flour is spooned and leveled or use a kitchen scale. Too much flour can dry out the cupcakes.
- Unsalted Butter- Pull butter out 2 hours before baking.
- Oil- You can use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Vanilla- Pure vanilla gives it the best flavor. You can use clear vanilla to get a sweeter taste.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Buttermilk- You can also use whole milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- White chocolate truffles- I used Lindt white chocolate truffles.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure this is sifted to avoid any lumps in the frosting.
- White chocolate bar- Use a good quality like Ghirardelli for best taste.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
- Buttermilk- You can also do 1 cup of milk with 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these cupcakes. This cupcake recipe uses an electric mixer, either stand mixer with paddle attachment or an electric hand mixer.
STEP 1: Beat butter, oil and white sugar. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat these on high speed for 3 minutes in a large bowl. It will be very light and fluffy. Almost white in color.
STEP 2: Add in wet ingredients. Next, add in vanilla extract, sour cream, and eggs to the butter mixture. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes. Don't skip this step!
Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
STEP 3: Add in dry ingredients and buttermilk. Alternate these 2 until combined on low speed. Don't over mix the batter at this step.
Make sure the all-purpose flour is sifted before adding. This will lighten the texture in the fluffy cupcake.
STEP 4: Fill cupcake pan. Next, divide batter into the cupcake tins with cupcake liners ¾ths full with the cupcake batter.
STEP 5: Bake for 10 minutes. Then, pop a white chocolate truffle into the middle of the cupcake. Make sure to go quickly to not let out too much heat from the oven.
STEP 6: Bake for another 8-10 minutes. Make sure to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
STEP 7: White chocolate frosting. First, beat the butter on high. Then, add in the powdered sugar slowly. Next, add in the melted white chocolate, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. The frosting will be light and fluffy.
STEP 8: Decorate the cupcakes. Pipe the cupcakes with the frosting by using a piping bag, then add the truffle on top of each cupcake.
These cupcakes need to have a total of 5 minutes of being beaten. Make sure to set a timer for best results.
When you add the truffles into the cupcakes, the best way is to just pull open the oven door. Have all the truffles ready.
Place the truffles on top of the cupcake. Then, lightly press them in. They don't need much. The cupcake will bake around it.
When making the frosting, it is crucial to follow these three steps:
- Let the butter be slightly cold. Too cold butter will be impossible to aerate for a fluffy frosting. If the butter is room temperature, the frosting will be like soup.
- Sift the powdered sugar. If you don't sift the powdered sugar, the frosting can be gritty.
- White chocolate. The white chocolate needs to be slightly cooled, so it doesn't melt the butter. If the melted chocolate is too cool, it will harden. Cool for 5 minutes.
Yes you can! Double the recipe and place 6 truffle balls per cake layer. It will make three 8 inch cake layers. Double the frosting as well.
Yes you can. Freeze the cupcakes in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
You don't have to have the truffle inside the cupcakes.
- You can skip the truffle in the middle if you want.
Storing and Freezing
Store these moist white chocolate cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge. Store up to 5 days. The cupcakes are best eaten at room temperature.
Freeze the decorated cupcakes in an airtight container. Freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Try These White Chocolate Recipes
- White chocolate cheesecake
- White chocolate cake
- Raspberry white chocolate cookies
- White chocolate blondies
- Red velvet cookies
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
White Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon Oil canola or vegetable
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ½ tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 12 White chocolate truffles
White Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 3 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 4 oz White chocolate melted. Use Ghirardelli white chocolate bar.
- 1 tablespoon Heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Optional: More truffles to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, oil, and sugar on high for 3 minutes. Add in sour cream, vanilla, and eggs. Mix on low until combined. Then, switch to high and beat for 2 minutes until fluffy.6 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 2 tablespoon Oil, ¾ cup White granulated sugar, ½ tablespoon Pure vanilla extract, ⅛ cup Sour cream, 2 Large eggs
- Add in ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk. Mix slightly. Add in another ⅓rd of the dry ingredients and the rest of the buttermilk. Finish with the rest of the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl to make sure it is all combined.½ cup Buttermilk
- Fill the pan ¾ths full with batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes. While you wait, unwrap all 12 truffles and have them ready to go. After 10 minutes, pop the truffles onto the cupcakes, press down slightly. Place the truffle in with the cupcakes still in the oven. Work fast to not let out too much heat from the oven.12 White chocolate truffles
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cupcakes sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before decorating.
White Chocolate Frosting
- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar while you wait.1 cup Unsalted butter, 3 cups Powdered sugar
- Right before the timer goes off, heat the white chocolate in the microwave to melt it. Start by heating for 30 seconds. Then, heat for 15 second intervals. Make sure to really mix the chocolate well between each interval until melted. Let it cool slightly while you make the frosting.4 oz White chocolate
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high for 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl and slowly add in the powdered sugar. Scrape the bowl.
- Add in white chocolate, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Mix on low until combined. Then, switch to high and beat for 1 minute.1 tablespoon Heavy cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes.Optional: More truffles to decorate