This banana snack cake is small cake loaded with bananas and cinnamon. It is topped with peanut butter frosting. This is a single layer cake with a soft texture. It is moist and delicious.
This banana snack cake is the perfect dessert if you love bananas and peanut butter. It is soft, moist, and tastes SO good. It will be your new favorite banana recipe, I promise. The next time you have a banana craving you will want to whip up this banana cake recipe again.
Why This Recipe Works
- Peanut butter and banana flavor- This cake has a strong peanut butter and banana flavor that you can't help but love. It is the perfect recipe to use your extra bananas, even better than banana bread!
- Moist texture- This is a moist banana cake with a soft texture. It makes you want to just keep eating more!
- Peanut butter frosting- This creamy peanut butter frosting really brings home the recipe. It is smooth and delicious on top of the cake.
- Easy banana cake- This easy banana snack cake recipe is a simple snack cake that has only a few simple steps.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar, but dark brown sugar will work too.
- Ripe bananas- If you do not have ripe bananas you can still use your bananas, it will just be not as sweet. The more overripe bananas the sweeter it will be.
- Sour cream- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Peanut butter- Use cream peanut butter. I do not recommend chunky peanut butter because it will prevent a smooth frosting.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure this is sifted to avoid gritty frosting.
Step By Step Instructions - Banana Cake
Here is how to make and bake this banana snack cake.
STEP 1: Prep. Heat oven temperature to 350°F. Then, spray a 9X9 square pan with baking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper along the bottom and up 2 sides enough to use as handles later. Then, spray it again.
STEP 2: Mix and beat. Mix the all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Set it aside.
STEP 3: Beat butter and sugars. Use a separate bowl and a mixer to beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar together on high speed for 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Combine. Add the mashed banana, sour cream, and vanilla extract and mix them in. Then, add the eggs to the banana mixture and mix until just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix them in and scrape the bowl again
STEP 5: Combine and pour. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
STEP 6: Bake. Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes. It is done baking when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
STEP 7: Cool. Let the cake cool in the hot cake pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step By Step Instructions - Peanut Butter Frosting
Here is how to make the peanut butter frosting for the banana snack cake.
STEP 1: Beat butter for frosting. Use a mixer to beat the butter on high speed for 2 minutes until it is fluffy.
STEP 2: Mix in frosting ingredients. Add the peanut butter and beat it again until combined, making sure to scrape the bowl a few times. Then, mix in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract and mix it in on low speed until combined.
STEP 3: Beat frosting. Switch to high speed and beat the frosting for 3 minutes.
STEP 4: Spread frosting. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake. Then, heat 2 tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave until it melts. Swirl the peanut butter into the frosting on top of the cake.
Expert Baking Tips
- Properly measure the flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup directly into the flour, it will compact the flour. Compacted flour can cause the cake to be dry.
- To easily remove the cake from the pan, make sure to first spray the pan with baking nonstick spray. Then, line bottom with parchment paper and spray it again to make sure that the paper does not stick to the bottom of the cake too much. If you miss any spots with the spray they can stick and tear the cake so be thorough.
- For high altitudes add 2 tablespoon of flour to the cake batter.
- If you like nuts with your snack cake you can add crushed nuts over the top of the frosting.
Yes you can make the cake ahead of time! Once the cake layer is done cooling, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then, freeze up to 30 days. Pull it out 1 hour before decorating.
Yes you can. An 8X8 pan will make a thicker cake. A 9in round pan will also work, but will be slightly thicker than a 9 in square as well.
Yes it can! This recipe will make roughly 12 cupcakes.
Storing and Freezing
Store this banana snack cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can freeze the banana snack cake in individual slices. Place the cake slices in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Banana Snack Cake
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Ripe bananas mashed (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- ½ cup Peanut butter creamy
- 1 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 9X9 pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper and spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on high for 2 minutes. It should be pale and fluffy. Add the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix until combined.½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Ripe bananas, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Sour cream
- Add in the eggs and mix until just combined. Scrape the bowl. Add in the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl and mix for 10 more seconds. Pour cake batter into pan.2 Large eggs
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before decorating.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high for 2 minutes until fluffy. Add in the peanut butter and beat until combined. Scrape the bowl a few times to make sure it is mixed. Add in the powdered sugar.½ cup Peanut butter
- Add in the vanilla Mix on low until combined. Switch to high and beat for 3 minutes. It will be very creamy.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Spread on top of the cake. Heat 2 tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave until melted. Swirl the peanut butter on top of the cake.