This banana snack cake is a very moist small banana cake. It is topped with a creamy peanut butter frosting. This can be topped with bananas and peanut butter cups. If you have ripe bananas, this is perfect!
This banana snack cake is a different type of bake to use those ripe bananas. It is loaded with cinnamon and ultra moist.
The best part is the peanut butter frosting on top! It is SO good and creamy.
Why You Will Love This
- Easy to make- This recipe is incredibly easy to make. This banana cake is full flavor and made an 8X8 pan.
- Soft banana cake- This cake is super soft because it has 2 ripe bananas and sour cream.
- Peanut butter frosting- Peanut butter frosting is my FAVORITE type of frosting. It isn't too sweet.
Here are some notes about the ingredients used.
- Room temperature dairy ingredients- Pull these out 2 hours before baking. This is a MUST.
- Baking soda + baking powder- This uses both rising agents to get a better rise out of the cake.
- Ripe bananas- The best type of bananas to use are fairly brown spotted bananas.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream.
- Slightly cold butter- Leave the butter out for 30 minutes. The butter needs to be cold enough to be firm enough for frosting. Also, not so cold you can't beat it until smooth.
- Peanut butter- I used Jif creamy peanut butter.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make the cake and the frosting.
STEP 2: Next, mix the dry ingredients. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
STEP 3: Then, beat the butter and sugars. Beat these until very light and fluffy. Next, add in the vanilla, sour cream, and mashed bananas.
STEP 4: Add in the eggs. Once combined, add in the dry ingredients. Next, mix until combined. Don't over mix.
STEP 5: Now, pour cake batter into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Next, let the cake cool completely before decorating.
STEP 6: Then, beat slightly cold butter on high. Once creamy, add in the peanut butter. Scrape the bowl several times.
STEP 7: Next, add in the powdered sugar. Then, add in the heavy cream and vanilla. It should be very creamy and smooth.
STEP 8: Now, decorate the cake. Then, top with fun toppings!
First, to get the best rise out of the cake, make sure to pull the cold ingredients out 2 hours before baking.
If you are making the frosting and it is too gritty, sift the powdered sugar.
If it is too thick and starts to separate, add a splash more heavy cream. Then, beat the frosting until smooth.
This cake tastes so great with just the frosting and cake. If you would like to spruce it up like mine, add some toppings!
I used sliced bananas, chopped pecans, and halved Reece's peanut butter cups.
I haven't recipe tested this. If you use an egg substitution, let me know!
Yes you can. Make sure they are thawed first.
Yes! Nutella isn't as thick as peanut butter. So you will have to add extra powdered sugar to thicken.
Yes! Bake the cake batter into cupcakes and top with the frosting. If you want tall frosting swirls, 1.5X the frosting.
Yes! Just double the recipe. When doubled, this will make a three layer 8 inch cake. The recipe as is will make a mini 6 inch cake.
Yes it can. Wrap the cooled cake in cling wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Let it thaw for 1 hour before decorating.
Storing and Freezing
Store this banana snack cake in an air tight container in the fridge. Chill up to 5 days.
This banana snack cake can be frozen in individual cake slices. Wrap each slice in cling wrap tightly. Then, freeze up to 30 days. Next, thaw for 1 hour before enjoying.
Other Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Banana Snack Cake
- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 2 Ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- ½ cup Peanut butter creamy
- 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8X8 pan with baking non-stick spray. Line the bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper and spray again.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on high for 2 minutes. It should be pale and fluffy. Add the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix until combined.½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Salt, ⅓ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 2 Ripe bananas, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Sour cream
- Add in the eggs and mix until just combined. Scrape the bowl. Add in the dry ingredients. Scrape the bowl and mix for 10 more seconds. Pour cake batter into pan.2 Large eggs
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool completely before decorating.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- Let the butter sit on the counter for 30 minutes to get slightly cold. Sift the powdered sugar.½ cup Unsalted butter, 1 ½ cups Powdered sugar
- Using a mixer, beat the butter on high for 2 minutes until fluffy. Add in the peanut butter and beat until combined. Scrape the bowl a few times to make sure it is mixed. Add in the powdered sugar. It will be thick.½ cup Peanut butter
- Add in the vanilla and heavy cream. Mix on low until combined. Switch to high and beat for 3 minutes. It will be very creamy.1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Spread on top of the cake. Top with extra bananas, nuts, and mini peanut butter cups. All optional.