These birthday cake cookies taste just like birthday cake in cookie form! This is a sweet vanilla cookie full of rainbow sprinkles and golden Oreos. These cookies are baked into large cookies with a chewy center. They have crisp edges and are basically the perfect cookie.
I wanted to create a birthday recipe because when this is posted it is my birthday! I wanted to create a fun recipe that other people would like to make on their birthday too!
These cookies taste just like a birthday cake because it is made with more white sugar than brown sugar. It also uses clear vanilla instead of pure vanilla extract for a more sweet vanilla taste.
Why This Recipe Works
- Large chewy cookies- These cookies are thick and have a large chewy center.
- Rainbow sprinkles- The cookies are filled with rainbow sprinkles.
- Golden Oreos- They are filled with golden Oreo crumbs and pieces.
- Easy to make- They require a small chill time and are easy to make with kids!
- Birthday cookies- These cookies are perfect for a birthday celebration!
- Unsalted butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Sugar- There is extra white sugar than brown sugar so it has a more birthday cake taste.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Clear vanilla extract- (or imitation clear vanilla) this is going to give the cookies a sweeter taste. You can also use a pure vanilla extract.
- Egg + Egg yolk- Pull this out 2 hours before baking. This recipe needs 1 egg and egg yolk because with 2 eggs, they spread too much.
- Rainbow sprinkles- Use rainbow Jimmies sprinkles. These are my favorite sprinkles.
- Golden Oreos- This use one regular pack of golden Oreos. You can use regular Oreos, but golden Oreos go with the vanilla theme.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these rainbow sprinkle funfetti cookies. This cookie recipe uses either a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. Use a sifter to prevent all-purpose flour lumps getting into the dough. Then, add in the baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Use a food processor or a blender to blend the golden Oreos into crumbs and pieces. Place these in a small bowl.
STEP 2: Beat butter and sugar. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on high speed in a large bowl.
STEP 3: Add in wet ingredients. Mix in the clear vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk. Then, beat on high speed for 1 minute. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
STEP 4: Add in the dry ingredients. Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients on low speed. It will be a very thick dough.
We want a thick dough to prevent spreading.
STEP 5: Add in sprinkles and Oreos. Next, fold in the sprinkles, crumbs, and pieces.
STEP 6: Scoop the dough. Use a large cookie scoop and scoop large cookie dough balls. Place 6 cookie dough balls per baking sheet prepared with parchment paper.
STEP 7: Chill the dough. Chill the cookie dough balls for about 20 minutes. Just until the dough is cold.
STEP 8: Bake the cookies. Next, bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes. Top the warm cookies with extra golden Oreo pieces and extra sprinkles.
Let the cookies sit on the hot tray for 5 minutes before letting them cool on a cooling rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- To prevent spreading: Use parchment paper, make sure to dough is cold before baking, and properly measure your flour. This prevents a flat cookie.
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you scoop the flour with a measuring cup, that can compact the flour and lead to no spreading.
- This cookie dough is very thick because all the sugar, sprinkles, and the moisture from the Oreos led them to spread too much. So, I reduced one of the eggs and increased the flour.
- When you are mixing the wet ingredients, make sure to beat on high to add as much air in as you can. This will give it a chewier texture.
- These cookies would be perfect served with ice cream!
Yes you can!
Yes you can! My Christmas sprinkle cookies have a whipped frosting. Use that recipe.
These cookies are best baked large because you get a more chewier center. However, you can use a 1oz cookie scoop and bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes.
You totally can! Use a ½ cup of white chocolate chips.
Storing and Freezing
Store these birthday cake cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 5 days.
Freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour or heat in the microwave.
Wrap the raw cookie dough balls in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. You can also use a freezer-safe bag as long as it's airtight. Freeze up to 30 days.
The frozen cookie dough balls can be baked straight from the freezer. Just add an extra few minutes of bake time.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Chewy Birthday Cake Cookies
- 2 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Clear vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- ½ cup Rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup Golden Oreo pieces
- ¼ cup Golden Oreo crumbs
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add in the baking soda and salt. Set aside. Using a food processor or blender, blend 4 Oreos into a fine crumb. Measure out ¼ cup of crumbs. Pulse 8 Oreos 2-3 times into Oreo pieces. Measure out 1 cup of Oreo pieces. Set aside.2 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 cup Golden Oreo pieces, ¼ cup Golden Oreo crumbs
- Using a mixer in a separate bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add in the clear vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Mix on high for 1 minute.1 cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Brown sugar, 1 cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Clear vanilla extract, 1 Large egg, 1 Egg yolk
- Add in the dry ingredients. Mix on low until combined. This will be a thick cookie dough. Add in the sprinkles, Oreo crumbs, and Oreo pieces. Mix on low until just combined.½ cup Rainbow sprinkles
- Prepare 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Use a 3oz cookie scoop to scoop large cookie dough balls. Place 6 balls per cookie sheet. Chill the cookie dough balls in the fridge until cold about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake 1 cookie sheet at a time for 13-15 minutes. Bake until the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Top the cookies when warm with extra sprinkles and golden Oreo pieces. Let the cookies sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.