These chocolate cookie dough pop tarts are easy to make and uses frozen puff pastry. They are filled with cream cheese cookie dough filling and topped with a chocolate glaze. These pop tarts are similar to what you can find at your grocery store but SO much better!
These chocolate cookie dough pop tarts are super easy to make! I was thinking about making them with short crust pastry like how they originally are, but I wanted them to be even easier to make.
So, I made them with frozen puff pastry. That way you only have to make the filling and the glaze!
Try this puff pastry apple tart.
Why You Will Love This
- Puff pastry- It is made with frozen puff pastry. It is very buttery with lots of flaky layers.
- Cookie dough filling- The filling combines edible cookie dough and cream cheese.
- Chocolate glaze- The glaze is rich because it is made using heavy cream.
- Easy to make- They are super easy to make!
- Puff pastry- I got this in the frozen dessert section at my grocery store.
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Cornstarch- This is optional, but helps make it softer.
- Butter- Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Milk- You can use any milk you like.
- Mini chocolate chips- These are best with mini chocolate chips. Regular size can work in a pinch, but I strongly recommend using the minis.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these pop tarts.
STEP 1: Pull out puff pastry. Let it sit for 30 minutes to thaw slightly.
STEP 2: Make cream cheese. First, beat the cream and sugar on high until smooth.
STEP 3: Make the cookie dough. Next, beat the butter and sugar. Then, add in the vanilla and milk.
Add in the dry ingredients and chocolate chips. The dough will be be thin. This is what we want.
STEP 4: Fold in the cream cheese. Fold the cream cheese into the cookie dough. If you want to make cookie dough balls for topping the pop tarts, save ⅓rd cup.
STEP 5: Cut the puff pastry. Next, roll out each sheet of puff pastry and cut into 6 rectangles.
STEP 6: Top the puff pastry with filling. Use 2 Tablespoon of filling and smooth over the rectangle. Leave space on the edges.
STEP 7: Top and crimp the pop tarts. Top each rectangle with another puff pastry rectangle. Make sure to use your finger with water to seal them together.
Then, use a fork to crimp the edges. You can also cut the extra uneven edges.
STEP 8: Bake the pop tarts. Bake them 22-26 minutes until golden.
Decorating The Pop Tarts
Once they are cooled, top them with the glaze. The glaze needs to be a pourable consistency before topping.
I used a spoon and used it to spread the glaze over the pop tart.
This is optional, but you can top with small cookie dough balls and chocolate sprinkles.
Expert Baking Tips
When you are making the small cookie dough balls, it needs to very cold if you are going to be able to roll them up.
Roll into very small dough balls and keep cold before putting on top of the pop tarts.
There is going to be extra filling that won't fit inside the pastry. Don't use all of it, otherwise it will leak everywhere.
They can be reheated before adding the glaze. After the glaze is added, you can microwave until warm. The pastry will not be crispy. The flavor will still be great!
These are best if made and ate the same day. The same day the pastry will be crisp and flaky.
The glaze is optional, but the extra sweetness make these so good!
Storing and Freezing
Store these chocolate cookie dough pop tarts in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days.
I don't recommend freezing these. They won't reheat well.
Other Breakfast Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Chocolate Cookie Dough Pop Tarts
- 2 Frozen puff pastry sheets
- 8 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon Cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 tablespoon Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 2 tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Mini chocolate chips
- 2 cup Powdered sugar sifted
- 3 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Chocolate sprinkles optional
- Pull the frozen puff pastry sheets out for 30 minutes to thaw. While you wait make the filling.2 Frozen puff pastry sheets
- Beat the cream and sugar on high for 2 minutes. Set aside.8 oz Cream cheese, ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Add in milk and vanilla.6 tablespoon Unsalted butter, 6 tablespoon Brown sugar, 2 tablespoon White granulated sugar, 3 tablespoon Milk, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Mix in flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add in the mini chocolate chips.1 cup All-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Cornstarch, ½ teaspoon Salt, ¾ cup Mini chocolate chips
- Take out ⅓ cup of cookie dough. Place in the freezer until firm enough to roll. Pour the cream cheese into the remaining cookie dough. Mix on low until combined.
- Roll each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll until the seams are smooth. Cut each sheet into 6 even rectangles. Total of 12 rectangles. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put 6 rectangles on top spread evenly.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop 2 cookie dough filling balls onto 6 rectangles. Smooth. Make sure to keep the edges clear about ½ inch.
- Use your finger to wet the edges with water. Place the other rectangles on top. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the pop tarts in the fridge to chill the pastry as the oven preheats.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes. Bake until the pastry is slightly golden. Cool completely before decorating.
- With the remaining cookie dough. Roll into very small little balls. These will go on top of the pop tarts. Place on a cookie sheet and store in the fridge.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix in vanilla and heavy cream. It should be a pourable consistency. If too thick, add a teaspoon of heavy cream. if too thin, add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar.2 cup Powdered sugar, 3 tablespoon Cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract, ¼ cup Heavy cream
- Pour glaze on top of pop tarts. Top with chocolate sprinkles and mini cookie dough balls.Chocolate sprinkles