This the BEST strawberry danish. It uses frozen puff pastry with fluffy cream cheese filling. On top are fresh strawberries that are baked. To give this pastry a fresh taste, it has a lemon icing drizzle. It is incredibly easy to make!
For breakfast, there is nothing better than a fresh pastry. Especially when there are strawberries and cream cheese!
When I first baked these, I tried making them using a strawberry jam, but it spread everywhere in the oven. I decided that fresh is best! Fresh strawberries with sugar and cornstarch gave these pastries the perfect touch!
You should also try, Cookie Dough Pop Tarts, Chocolate Cream Cheese Danish, and Easy Blueberry Danish
Why You Will Love This
- Easy To Make- Since this use frozen puff pastry, it is incredibly easy to make!
- Fresh strawberries- This uses fresh strawberries and not a jam.
- Lemon zest icing- This icing is sharp and sweet at the same time. It pairs so well with the pastries.
- Frozen puff pastry- You can go crazy and make your own puff pastry, or you can buy the frozen sheets at your grocery store. They are the perfect size!
- Cream cheese- Use full fat cream cheese and not reduced fat.
- Fresh strawberries- Use fresh for best taste.
- Lemon zest- Use actual lemon zest for the drizzle to get a zesty flavor.
Step By Step Instructions
These danishes are super easy to make! They can be ready for the oven in 40 minutes.
STEP 1: First, the pastry needs to sit out for 30 minutes. Otherwise it is too cold to use. If you wait too long, the pastry's butter will melt. Then, roll the pastry out to make sure the seams are blended.
STEP 2: Next, prepare the cream cheese filling. Use a hand mixer to beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute. Then, add in the sugar and beat again. It needs high speed to beat until smooth. Next, add in the vanilla.
STEP 3: Cut the strawberries. The strawberries should be sliced into thin slices. Then, mix the cornstarch and sugar. This will sweeten and thicken the strawberries.
STEP 4: Next, cut the dough in half and cut each half into thirds. You will end with 6 rectangles of dough. Score a ¼ inch border around each of the rectangle.
STEP 5: Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese onto each rectangle. Spread it around the edges. Top with the strawberries. Lay them across the cream cheese nicely and compact. Then, brush the egg wash over the edges of the pastry.
STEP 6: Bake for 20 minutes.
The strawberry danishes are done baking when the pastry is lightly golden brown. It won't get as shiny if you don't have the egg wash. Don't forget that!
Make sure to bake these on a cookie sheet sprayed with baking non-stick spray.
Once they are done baking, top with the lemon icing and serve immediately. They are best when they are warm!
Yes! They can. I recommend warming them in the oven slightly before serving.
No, frozen strawberries will affect the baking time and they will bleed a lot more and leak more juice. Use fresh.
You can enjoy these with no icing. The sweet and zesty lemon icing really takes the flavor up a notch. I highly recommend it!
Storing and Freezing
Store these strawberry danishes at room temperature in an air tight container. They are best within 3 days.
I don't recommend freezing leftover danishes. The texture would be really weird with the fresh strawberries.
More Breakfast Recipes
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
- 1 Frozen sheet puff pastry thawed slightly
- 4 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 3 tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Strawberries washed, dried, cut into thin slices
- ½ tablespoon Cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 2 teaspoon Water
- ½ cup Powdered sugar sifted
- Zest half a lemon
- 2-3 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Take the sheet of puff pastry out of the freezer and place on the counter. Let it sit for 30 minutes to thaw slightly.
- While the pastry is thawing, use a hand mixer to beat the cream cheese on high for 1 minute. Add in the sugar and beat again on high for 1 minute. Mix in the vanilla. Cut the strawberries into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Once pastry is thawed, mix cornstarch and sugar into the strawberries. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly flour your counter and place the pastry down. Roll it out slightly until seams are blended together.
- Use a pizza cutter and cut in half. Cut each half into thirds. Place these on a cookie sheet sprayed with baking non-stick spray. Use a sharp knife to score each rectangle with a ¼ inch border.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture into the middle of the rectangle. Use the back of a spoon to spread to the edge of the border. Delicately place strawberries on top of cream cheese. There should be cream cheese poking through on the edges.
- Mix the egg and water, brush the edges with the egg wash. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The pastry should be golden brown.
- Mix the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. It should be smooth and be pourable, if it is too light it will melt into the pastry. Drizzle over the pastries and serve warm.
These danishes are so incredible!
The fresh strawberries in this make these so healthy! 😁 So good!
Beyond delicious! I added more lemon drizzle. This recipe is a keeper!
Love this easy recipe! I cut the recipe in half and turned out amazing! Definitely will be making again!
Loved these and so easy!!!
Amazing! The cream cheese filling with the strawberries was delicious together and the cream cheese filling had a very nice texture to it