This chocolate pie has an Oreo crust, chocolate Nutella no bake pie, chocolate whipped cream, and a cinnamon oat crumble. This is such an indulgent pie, but it is perfect for the holidays!
This chocolate pie has everything chocolate lovers could ask for; Oreo chocolate crust, Nutella chocolate pie filling, chocolate whipped cream, and a crumble to top it all off.
This easy chocolate pie recipe will be your new favorite dessert. You will never settle for a traditional chocolate cream pie again.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy recipe- This is one of the easiest homemade pie recipes. You don't even need an oven since this no bake chocolate pie only uses it to cook the optional crumble.
- Oreo crust- This homemade pie crust adds more chocolate flavor than a traditional pie crust or a graham cracker crust.
- 3 layers of chocolate- Every chocolate layer of this delicious pie adds together to one of the most delicious recipes if you love chocolate desserts. It makes a great Valentine's day dessert!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Oreos- Use the regular Oreos, not the double stuff. The extra moisture will affect the texture of the crust.
- Cream cheese- Pull this out 2 hours before baking to get to room temperature.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar, but dark will work as well.
- Nutella- I recommend store bought over homemade hazelnut spread for the consistent texture. Homemade doesn't always mix in the same.
- Chocolate whipped cream- You can also make regular whipped cream, or use cool whip.
Step By Step Instructions - Crust and filling
Here is how to make and bake this chocolate pie. You will need an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. An electric hand mixer or stand mixer will work.
STEP 1: Make the crust. Your first step is to crush the Oreos into fine cookie crumbs with a blender or food processor. Mix the Oreos and melted butter together in a mixing bowl.
Place the crust in the bottom and sides of your springform pan or pie tin. Compact it with the bottom of a measuring cup.
STEP 2: Freeze. Place the crust in your freezer. Also place the metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes. If you are using a stand mixer it should be the bowl of a stand mixer.
STEP 3: Beat the filling. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and Nutella together using a mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Add in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until it is smooth.
STEP 4: Make whipped cream. Once your metal bowl is done freezing, combine the heavy whipping cream and ½ cup of powdered sugar. Beat it on high speed with the whisk attachment until high stiff peaks form.
STEP 5: Fold together filling. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese chocolate mixture. Be sure not to over mix it.
The Nutella mixture is very thick, so it takes a bit of time to fold in the whipped cream. Just be patient.
STEP 6: Pour filling. Pour the chocolate filling into the crust and gently spread it.
Cover the pie with foil and let it chill for at least 6 hours.
Step By Step Instructions - Cinnamon Oat Crumble and Chocolate Whipped Cream
If you don't want to use your oven at all, you can skip this part. However, it really takes the pie to the next level.
STEP 1: Mix crumble. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a large bowl.
Place the bowl in the fridge while the oven preheats.
STEP 2: Prep. While you preheat the oven to 300°F, spray a cookie sheet with baking nonstick spray. Then, press the crumble over the cookie sheet.
STEP 3: Bake. Bake the crumble for 10 minutes. Then, use a spatula to mix it as it will harden as it cools.
STEP 4: Prep whipped cream. Place a metal bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes.
STEP 5: Whip it. Once your metal bowl is done freezing, combine the heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Beat it on high speed with the whisk attachment until medium peaks form.
STEP 6: Top pie. Take the pie out of the freezer. If you are using a springform pan, take the pie out of the pan.
Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie. Then, sprinkle the crumble on top of that.
If you chose not to make the crumble one of my favorite things to substitute is chocolate curls. Chocolate chips can work in a pinch as well.
Expert Baking Tips
- Be very careful when you fold in the whipped cream. If you are too rough, it will be like adding 1 ⅓rd cups of heavy cream to the batter. It will not set.
- This pie needs a long chill time, for it to set. Make sure to be patient!
- When making the whipped cream make sure the bowl and heavy cream are cold. If the heavy cream gets too warm it will not whip up correctly.
You either overmixed the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Or it did not have long enough time to chill in the fridge.
Yes, you can. I recommend using the crust in the recipe because it is easy and SO good, but you can use a pre-made pie crust as your pie shell.
Yes you can! Divide the recipe into thirds to make 12 mini pies. Use a muffin pan.
Storing and Freezing
Store the chocolate pie in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store up to 5 days in the fridge.
Freeze the pie in individual slices using plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days and let thaw for 1-2 hours.
You can freeze the whole pie before decorating. Chill the pie overnight first in the fridge. Then, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to 30 days. Let thaw for 24 hours in the fridge before decorating.
Other Chocolate Recipes To Try
- 2 ½ cups Oreo crumbs Use 20-25 Oreos
- 3 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
Chocolate Nutella Pie
- 16 oz Cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup Nutella
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon Powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon Oat Crumble
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter melted
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan or a 9-inch springform pan with baking nonstick spray. Set aside
- Blend the Oreos into a food processor/blender into a fine crumb. Mix the Oreo crumbs and melted butter with a fork.2 ½ cups Oreo crumbs, 3 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Pour the crumbs into the pan and press halfway up the pan and use the bottom of a measuring cup to compact the crust. Freeze the pan while you make the filling.
Chocolate Nutella Pie
- Place the metal mixing bowl and a whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and Nutella on high for 1 minute. Add in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.16 oz Cream cheese, 1 cup Nutella, ½ cup Powdered sugar, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Using the cold bowl, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar on high speed until stiff peaks from.1 cup Heavy cream, ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- Pour the whipped cream into the chocolate bowl. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the filling on top of the crust. Cover with foil and chill overnight or at least 6 hours.
Cinnamon Oat Crumble
- If you don't want to use your oven at all, you can skip this part. However, it really takes the pie to the next level.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Place the bowl in the fridge while the oven preheats.½ cup All-purpose flour, ¼ cup Old fashioned oats, ¼ cup Brown sugar, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon, 5 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Spray a cookie sheet with baking nonstick spray. Press the crumble over the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to mix the crumble. It will harden as it cools. Cool completely before using.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Place a metal bowl and a whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Beat the heavy cream, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat until medium peaks form.1 cup Heavy cream, ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tablespoon Powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Take the pie out of the freezer. If using a springform pan, take the pie out of the pan.
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the pie and sprinkle the crumble on top.