This Nutella cake is the perfect cake that celebrates the Nutella! This is a three layer moist chocolate cake full of Nutella frosting. In the middle is chopped Ferrero Rochers which gives the cake a fun crunch.
This Nutella cake is a layered cake that uses both Ferrero Rocher truffles and Nutella. The best part about this Nutella chocolate cake, besides the incredible frosting, is the chopped Ferrero Rocher pieces as the filling.
It makes the cake have incredible flavor and texture, but also make it feel more gourmet. This cake always gets rave reviews and people take big slices after they try it for the first time.
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate cake- This is a super moist cake, even when cold! It is my favorite chocolate cake recipe.
- Layered cake- The cake is made in three 8-inch cake tins.
- Nutella buttercream- This delicious Nutella icing is SO good. It uses both Nutella and cocoa powder and it delivers!
- Ferrero Rocher- There are truffles chopped as the filling and on top of the cake as decoration.
- Special occasion- This cake is perfect to make for special occasions like a birthday party!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- You need a good quality cocoa powder to get the best taste. Use a dutch-process cocoa powder like this one.
- Oil- Use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- Heat it on the stove. It needs to be steaming to really help the chocolate bloom.
- Unsalted butter- Pull the butter out 2 hours before baking.
- Nutella- I recommend using actual Nutella vs homemade Nutella for best texture.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure to sift the powdered sugar to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Ferrero Rocher- You will need 2 regular size containers.
- Heavy Cream- This makes the frosting creamy and fluffy.
Step By Step Instructions- Cake Layers
Here is how to make and bake the cake layers. You don't need an electric mixer for this recipe.
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder together. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and white sugar.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, vanilla extract, buttermilk, and eggs. Then, slowly whisk in the hot water. Go slow to not to overcook the eggs.
STEP 3: Pour. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Then, pour the cake batter evenly between the three cake pans.
TIP: Spray the cake pans with baking nonstick spray. Then, line the bottom of the pans with an 8-inch parchment paper circle and spray again. This prevents the cake from sticking.
STEP 4: Bake. Bake the cake layers for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let the cakes sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely before decorating.
Step By Step Instructions- Filling & Frosting
The frosting can be made using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
STEP 1: Freeze the chocolates. They need to be firm before chopping, otherwise they will just squish and be really melty. Cut these right before using.
STEP 2: Beat the butter and Nutella. Using the mixer, beat the butter and Nutella on high speed for 3 minutes. Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
STEP 3: Add wet ingredients. Next, add in the salt, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream. Beat these on high speed until fluffy.
Assembling The Cake
- Once you have cool cakes, cut the cake domes off of the chocolate cake layers by using a serrated knife. It needs to be as flat as possible.
- Place the first cake layer down. Then, frost 1 cup of frosting from the center of the cake by using an offset spatula. Use a piping bag to pipe a border of frosting over the edge of the cake. Use half of the chopped Ferrero Rocher chocolates.
- Repeat with the second cake layer. The last layer of cake should be put with the bottom of the cake facing up. This gives the cake the flattest top possible.
- Frost the cake in a thin layer of frosting including the sides of the cake and freeze for 15 minutes. This is called the crumb coat layer, it helps to set the cake.
- Frost the rest of the cake and decorate with extra truffles.
Yes it can! Half the recipe to make 12 cupcakes.
If you don't have 8-inch cake pans you can also use two 9-inch cake pans, four 6-inch cake pans, or a 9X13-inch cake pan (half the frosting recipe for that one). Half the recipe to make three 6-inch pans, 8X8-inch square pan or 9X9-inch square pan.
Yes it can! Once the cake layers are done cooling, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then, freeze up to 30 days. Pull it out 1 hour before decorating.
Storing and Freezing
Store this Nutella cake in an airtight container like a cake carrier. Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can freeze the Nutella cake in individual cake slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Layered Cake Recipes To Try
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa poweder use dutch process for best results
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¾ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 4 Large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk room temperature
- 1 cup Hot water steaming
- 2 cups Unsalted butter leave on the counter for 1 hour
- ½ cup Nutella
- 5 cups Powdered sugar sifted
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 1 package of Ferrero Rocher chopped. Freeze until firm before chopping
- 1 package of Ferrero Rocher optional for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray three 8-inch cake pans with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms with 8-inch parchment paper circles and spray again.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. Add in the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.2 ½ cups All-purpose flour, 1 ¾ cup White granulated sugar, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa poweder, 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Start heating the water on the stove until streaming. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk. Slowly add in the hot water. Make sure to add it in slowly to not cook the eggs.¾ cup Oil, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 4 Large eggs, 1 cup Buttermilk, 1 cup Hot water
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Pour the cake batter evenly into the three cake pans.
- Bake the cakes for 25-28 minutes. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes sit in the hot pans for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Set the butter on the counter for 1 hour. It should be softened, but not completely room temperature. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl.2 cups Unsalted butter, 5 cups Powdered sugar, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and nutella on high speed for 3 minutes. Then, slowly add in the powdered sugar/cocoa powder mixture on low.½ cup Nutella
- Add in the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream and mix on high speed until fluffy.¾ teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, ½ cup Heavy cream
- Stick one package of Ferrero Rochers in the freezer for 15-20 minutes until firm. Cut into smaller pieces.1 package of Ferrero Rocher
Assembling the Cake
- Cut the domes off the tops of the cake using a serrated knife or a cake leveler. Pipe a dollop of frosting on the board you are decorating on.
- Place the 1st cake layer down. Frost 1 cup of frosting over the cake. Pipe a border of frosting over the edge of the cake. Fill with half of the truffle pieces.
- Repeat with the 2nd layer. Place the last cake layer down with the bottom of the cake facing up.
- Frost the cake in a light layer of frosting. Freeze for 15 minutes to set the frosting.
- Frost the rest of the cake. Top with extra Ferrero Rochers.1 package of Ferrero Rocher