These chocolate Nutella muffins are super soft muffins with no mixer required! They are full of gooey Nutella in the middle and some is swirled on top.
Every Nutella lover need to try these chocolate Nutella muffins. They are my husband's new favorite thing to eat as an easy breakfast.
The Nutella filling in the center of the muffin makes any fan of Nutella feel like they are in muffin heaven. They are simple enough to make you won't have a hard time with them even if it is your first time making muffins.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make- No mixer is required. Even my 4 year old was able to help make these.
- Nutella Flavor- Nutella is so delicious and brings a great flavor to these muffins.
- Perfect texture- These moist muffins are soft and tender with a gooey Nutella center. You won't be able to put them down.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Sour cream- Use full fat sour cream or greek yogurt. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before using.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- I recommend using a dutch process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate flavor. This is the one I used.
- Baking powder + Baking soda- Both are used to give the muffins a better rise.
- Nutella- I did use the Nutella brand, but any chocolate hazelnut spread should work the same as long as it is the same consistency.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these muffins. No electric mixer (hand mixer or stand mixer) needed for this recipe. You need 2 bowls, whisk, rubber spatula, cookie scoop, 12-cup muffin pan, and muffin liners.
STEP 1: Freeze Nutella. Scoop a heaping Tablespoon of nutella on a baking sheet with wax paper. Spread 12 Nutella dollops and then place them in the freezer for 1 hour.
STEP 2: Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl, sift the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together. Add in the salt.
STEP 3: Mix wet ingredients. In a separate bowl mix the sugar, melted butter, sour cream, vanilla extract, eggs, and buttermilk.
STEP 4: Combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula. Stop when they are just combined.
Cover the bowl and let it rest for 30 minutes.
STEP 5: Prep oven. Preheat your oven to 400°F and line the 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners.
TIP: To get larger domes on your muffin fill only alternating muffin cups.
STEP 6: Scoop batter. Scoop 1 dollop of muffin batter per cup using a small cookie scoop. Then, place a frozen dollop of Nutella on top of the batter. Scoop another dollop of muffin batter and spread it until even to finish.
STEP 7: Nutella top. For stronger Nutella flavor place 1 teaspoon Nutella on top of each muffin. Use a butter knife to lightly swirl it on top.
Optionally, you can place sugar on top instead.
STEP 8: Bake muffins. Bake the muffins at 400°F for 6 minutes. Then, lower the temperature to 350°F and continue to bake them for 10-12 more minutes.
Let the muffins stay in the hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled. If you stick the measuring cup into the flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will dry out the muffins.
- Bake 6 muffins at a time, to get a bigger rise and larger dome. A bigger rise also gives them a better texture.
- It is incredibly easy to over mix muffin batter. As soon as it is combined, stop mixing.
- The muffins start at a higher temperature to encourage a fast rise so that they get that high muffin top and texture.
Make sure that the dairy ingredients are at room temperature before using. Also, the buttermilk and sour cream will help the muffins be very fluffy.
Dry muffins have to do with over baking or over measuring the flour. If your oven runs hot, check the muffins early.
Yes you can! You will need to use smaller dollops of Nutella and reduce your baking time.
Why is the Nutella Frozen?
The Nutella drop are frozen rather than simply placed inside the muffin batter to prevent it from spreading. Since frozen Nutella takes longer to cook it will keep a gooey center instead of melting into the cupcakes.
Why do you put a Nutella swirl on top of the muffins?
The additional teaspoon of Nutella swirl on top of the muffins provides an extra Nutella flavor. You may choose to replace it with a sugar topping instead if you do not want the increased Nutella flavor. I recommend the Nutella topping because I think it tastes great, but do what you think tastes best!
Why do you only put 6 muffins in your 12 muffin pan?
Separating the muffins only using alternating muffin cups allows the air to get to the muffins evenly. This will also allow them to bake faster than a full 12 muffins. This extra room will give your muffins a larger rise and incorporate more air for an better texture.
Storing and Freezing
Store these Nutella muffins in the fridge in an airtight container. Store up to 5 days.
The Nutella muffins can be frozen. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days.
Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Muffin Recipes To Try
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ½ cup Sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ⅔ cup Nutella
- On a cookie sheet with wax paper, scoop a heaping Tablespoon of Nutella. Scoop 12 dollops on a cookie sheet spread out. Freeze for 1 hour until solid.⅔ cup Nutella
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda together. Add in the salt and sugar. Set aside.2 cups All-purpose flour, ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 ½ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Baking soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, 1 cup White granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter, sour cream, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk½ cup Unsalted butter, ½ cup Sour cream, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 2 Large eggs, ¾ cup Buttermilk
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined. Don't over mix! Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners. TIP: The best way to get extra domed muffin tops is to only add batter to every other muffin cup.
- Use a small cookie scoop and scoop 1 dollop of muffin batter into each muffin liner. Place a frozen Nutella drop firmly into the batter. Scoop another dollop of muffin batter on top. Spread until even.
- Use a teaspoon and scoop 1 teaspoon of Nutella on top of the muffins. Use a butter knife to lightly swirl it on top.
- Bake for 6 minutes at 400°F. Then, lower the temperature to 350°F and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Let the muffins sit in the hot pan for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.