This giant ice cream cookie sandwich is perfect to make during the summer for parties! This two giant chewy chocolate chip cookies filled with vanilla ice cream. The cookie sandwich gets cut into like a cake.
This ice cream cookie sandwich is giant and everything a kid could want during the summer. It has two giant chocolate chip cookies that are underbaked slightly, so they still stay soft when frozen.
This cookie sandwich is perfect for a hot summer day and your kids want to help you bake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Chocolate chip cookies- This cookie recipe is made with melted butter, so this is a no chill recipe! You can make it one bowl if desired and your kids can help!
- Creamy vanilla ice cream- This recipe uses the most amazing vanilla bean ice cream from Alden's Organic. Their ice cream is super creamy and has small vanilla bean flecks through out. Their ice cream is perfect for ice cream lovers!
- Chipwich- This cookie sandwich is just like a chipwich ice cream sandwich. Except giant!
- Perfect frozen dessert- There is nothing more classic than a vanilla ice cream and chocolate chip cookies!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter- This is butter is melted then cooled to room temperature.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Large egg- Pull this egg out 2 hours before baking.
- Mini chocolate chips- For best results, use mini chocolate chip for small pockets of chocolate. It make it easier to bite into the cookie when frozen when the chocolate is small. However, you can use regular sized semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Vanilla ice cream- For best results, use Alden's Organic vanilla bean ice cream. I used the entire container.
The Best Vanilla Ice Cream
Honestly, the best ice cream to use is Alden's Organic. It is incredibly creamy, it hold firm enough for this sandwich, but still soft when you bite into it.
Their ice cream is America's number 1 organic ice cream and it is certified organic. You can get this ice cream from sprouts or other various grocery stores.
Another recipe that uses their ice cream is Strawberry Ice Cream Cheesecake.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake this cookie sandwich. This recipe needs three 8-inch cake pans, a large bowl, and a rubber spatula.
STEP 1: Freeze the ice cream. Use one 8-inch cake pan and double line it with plastic wrap. Let the vanilla ice cream softened for 10-15 minutes. Then, pour it all into the pan and use a rubber spatula to smooth it until even.
Wrap the pan with aluminum foil and freeze overnight. It needs to harden again. If you can't wait all night, then at least for 3-4 hours.
STEP 2: Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract, and egg together until combined.
STEP 3: Add the dry ingredients. Next, add the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Use a rubber spatula to fold it in until combined. Then, pour in the mini chocolate chips.
STEP 4: Press in the cookie dough. Separate the cookie dough in half and press it into the two 8-inch cake pans. Use a rubber spatula to press it down.
STEP 5: Bake. Bake the cookie dough layers for 13-15 minutes. The edges will be lightly golden. The goal is to underbake it slightly, so it stays soft.
Let it cool in the cake pans before moving to a cooling rack.
STEP 6: Assemble. Once the soft cookie layers are cool, flip the ice cream layer on top of one the cookies. Remove the plastic wrap and top with another cookie layer.
Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure the flour is spooned and leveled or use a kitchen scale. If you stick your measuring cup into the flour to scoop it, it will become compacted. Compacted flour, will make your cookie layers dry.
- Make sure the butter is room temperature because adding it. Otherwise, it will affect the texture when the butter is hot.
- Make sure to spray the cake pans the cookie layers are going in. Spray using a baking nonstick spray and then line the bottom of the pan with 8-inch parchment paper circles.
- The ice cream layer needs a while to freeze again before adding it. If you try to add it to the cookies right away, it will become a melted mess.
Yes! You absolutely can! Any of Alden's Organic ice cream will work like chocolate ice cream! They also have dairy free ice cream as well.
Yes! Use a cupcake pan and place a small amount of dough into each hole. Bake for 10 minutes. Then scoop 1-2 ice cream scoop on top.
You can use 8X 8-inch square pan and cut into rectangles.
Store this ice cream cookie sandwich in an airtight container and freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 10- 15 minutes before cutting into.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips plus more for the sides
- 1.5 quarts Alden's Organic Vanilla Ice Cream softened
- Line an 8 inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Do a double layer of plastic wrap. Spread the softened vanilla ice cream over the cake pan. Smooth it using a spatula. Place in the freezer for at least 3 hours.1.5 quarts Alden's Organic Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 8 inch cake pans with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottoms with a 8-inch parchment paper circles. Spray again.
- Melt the butter in the microwave, let it cool for 10-15 minutes until cooled to room temperature.½ cup Unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.1 ¼ cups All-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Baking powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and egg until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until combined.½ cup Brown sugar, ¼ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 Large egg
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Press the cookie batter evenly into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. The cookie should very lightly golden on top. You want to underbake the cookies so they aren't hard in the freezer.
- Let the cookies cool for 15 minutes in the cake pans before placing on a cooling rack. Cool the cookies completely.
- Place the 1st cookie down on your serving board. Take the frozen ice cream out of the freezer and pull it out using the plastic wrap. Flip it onto the first cookie layer and remove the plastic wrap. Place the last layer of cookie on top of the ice cream.
- If desired, press extra mini chocolate chips into the sides of the ice cream. Serve immediately. Or place covered in the freezer. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.