These M&M cookie ice cream sandwiches are perfect for kids during the summer! These large bakery style cookies are full of mini chocolate chips and mini M&M's. They are filled with vanilla and chocolate ice cream. This is a SUPER easy recipe for summer!
When I was a kid (and now) I loved M&M's in my cookies! I thought it would be very fun to have ice cream sandwiches between two M&M cookies.
You can use any ice cream you would like. Just be careful to not get a soft ice cream. If it is too soft, it will melt everywhere.
Why You Will Love This
- Fun Looking Cookies- There is nothing more fun than mini M&M's in cookies! Kids will love them!
- Large Cookies- These cookies are baked large, so they have a chewy center.
- Soft even cold- They are under baked slightly so they are still soft from the freezer.
- Store bought ice cream- You can buy any flavors you wish!
Here are some notes about the ingredients
- Butter and eggs- Pull these out 2 hours before baking to get a chewier cookie.
- Egg yolk- I found adding two full eggs, made the cookie dough too wet and it spreads more. Also the extra egg yolk makes the cookies very chewy.
- Mini chocolate chips and mini M&M's- If you can't find mini versions, you can always use the regular versions.
- Ice cream- You can use any two flavors you would like. I loved using cookie dough ice cream and brownie ice cream for these.
Cookie Dough Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: First, mix the dry ingredients together.
STEP 2: Next, beat the butter and sugars together. They need to be mixed together using a mixer. Add the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk.
STEP 3: Add in the dry ingredients. Next, add in the mini chocolate chips and mini M&M's.
STEP 4: Chill the dough for 30 minutes. The butter will chill and will cause the cookies to not spread as much. Next, scoop the cookies using a 3oz cookie scoop. This makes large cookies that have a chewy center. Then, bake for 13 minutes. Make sure to under bake these cookies.
Cookie Sandwich Assembly
Spread the two types of ice cream in both an 8X8 and 9X9 pan. I use two sizes because some of the cookies will be smaller and some will be bigger. The bigger pan is for the bigger biscuit cutters to fit the bigger cookies.
Once the ice cream is frozen, use a 3.5 inch and 4 inch biscuit cutter to cut the circles out of the ice cream.
Once you sandwich the cookies, place in the freezer immediately. The ice cream needs to refreeze before enjoying.
Yes! Just make sure it is frozen solid before using.
I have not recipe tested this. If you do, let me know!
YES! I strongly recommended you make these ahead of time for the ice cream to set.
Add an extra 2 tablespoon of flour to the cookie dough.
That could be you didn't let the ice cream set fully before using. Or you used the wrong ice cream brand. I got a brand that melted twice as fast as other brands the first time because the ice cream is soft. I got much better results when I switched to a stiffer brand of ice cream.
Prepare the ice cream one day ahead or at least 6 hours ahead. The ice cream needs to be frozen solid in the pan before using.
The ice cream I like the best is Breyer brand. Go through your grocery store and squeeze the cartons of ice cream. If it is hard, then get that brand! If it squishes, it is too soft for ice cream sandwiches.
Before assembling the cookies, place the cookies in the freezer so they are cold. Cold cookies will help with the assembling process.
Another tip is to store the assembled M&M cookie ice cream sandwiches in a metal tin. The metal tin will keep them even colder.
Storing and Freezing
These M&M cookie ice cream sandwiches need to be stored in the freezer. Keep them in the metal tin covered in foil. They will last up to 10 days in the freezer.
Before enjoying, let the cookies sit for 10 minutes before enjoying. Fresh out of the freezer they will be too frozen to enjoy easily.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
- Oatmeal cream pies
- Nutella stuffed cookies
- Chocolate marshmallow cookies
- Reece's peanut butter chip cookies
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
M&M Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Mini M&M's
- Pint Vanilla ice cream I used cookie dough ice cream
- Pint Chocolate ice cream I used brownie ice cream
- Leave both ice creams out on the counter for 15 minutes to soften. Spread vanilla ice cream in a 9X9 pan. Smooth it until it is even. Spread chocolate ice cream in a 8X8 pan. Smooth it until it is even. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat for 2 minutes until fluffy. Add in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Mix until combined. Make sure to scrape the bowl.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix. Add in mini chocolate chips and mini M&Ms. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a large cookie scoop (3 oz), Scoop the cookie dough. Bake for 13-14 minutes. Slightly under bake these cookies for a soft cookie. Edges should be slightly golden. While the cookies bake, keep the other cookie dough balls in the fridge.
- Let the cookies sit for 4 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to cooling rack. Once cooled completely. Place cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- Separate the cookies into pairs that are the same size. Match the cookies with a biscuit cutter that is the same size. I used 3.5 inch and 4 inch biscuit cutters.
- Do one ice cream at time. Cut vanilla ice cream using the bigger cutter. Cut and sandwich the ice cream. Place the cookies into the freezer immediately. Repeat with the chocolate ice cream. Allow the sandwiches to freeze until solid before eating.