These chocolate peanut butter filled cupcakes are the ultimate cupcake combo! They are dark chocolate moist cupcakes filled with peanut butter marshmallow fluff. Then, on top is a peanut butter frosting that is super creamy. These cupcakes are a must bake!
These chocolate peanut butter filled cupcakes are a super soft chocolate cupcake filled with peanut butter marshmallow fluff. The filling is the BEST part about these cupcakes! You could eat the filling with a spoon.
The cupcakes are also topped with a peanut butter frosting that is super good. These cupcakes are perfect to make for special occasions.
Why This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake Recipe Works
- Moist chocolate cupcakes- This chocolate cupcake batter is best made with dark chocolate cocoa powder. The best part about these cupcakes is that there is no mixer required! Just bowls and a whisk.
- Peanut butter filling for cupcakes- The filling is made using marshmallow fluff, peanut butter and cinnamon.
- Peanut butter frosting- This peanut butter buttercream is super creamy and pipes beautifully on top of the cupcakes.
- Peanut butter lover- These cupcakes are perfect if you love peanut butter just as much as I do!
Ingredient Notes for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For best results use a dutch-process cocoa powder for a more rich chocolate cupcake. I used this one.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar.
- Oil- You can use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Eggs- Pull the large eggs out 2 hours before baking so they are room temperature.
- Buttermilk- Use full fat or reduced fat buttermilk. Pull this out 2 hours before baking.
- Hot water- It needs to be steaming. Heat this on the stove.
- Peanut butter- Use Jif or skippy peanut butter. Use creamy peanut butter. Don't use natural peanut butter because it will be too runny.
- Marshmallow fluff- Use a jar of the marshmallow fluff of crème.
- Milk- Use any kind of milk.
- Unsalted butter- Pull the butter out 30 minutes before using so it is slightly cold.
- Powdered sugar- Make sure it is sifted to avoid a gritty frosting.
- Oil- You can also use olive oil.
- Hot water- You can also use hot coffee.
- Buttermilk- You can also use ½ cup of milk with ½ Tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
Step By Step Recipe Video
Step By Step Instructions- Cupcakes
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, white sugar, and brown sugar.
STEP 2: Mix wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, and hot water.
Then, pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a whisk to mix these together. The batter will be runny.
STEP 3: Scoop. Scoop the batter into the cupcake pan. Fill it ⅔rds full.
STEP 4: Bake. Bake the cupcakes for 16-20 minutes.
Then, cool the cupcakes completely on a cooling rack.
Step By Step Instructions- Filling and Frosting
The filling and frosting uses a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or use a hand mixer (electric mixer).
STEP 1: The filling. Using a mixer, beat the peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, milk, and cinnamon until combined. Then, add in the powdered sugar.
STEP 2: Fill the cupcakes. Use a cupcake corer or a sharp knife to cut a hole in the middle of the cupcake. Cut a hole ⅔rds down and toss the tops.
Use a piping to pipe the filling to the top of the cupcakes.
STEP 3: The frosting. Using a mixer, beat the butter and peanut butter on high speed. Then, add in the powdered sugar and mix on low speed. It will be very thick.
Add the vanilla and heavy cream and beat until fluffy.
STEP 4: Decorate. Use a piping bag to pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes. I use half of a giant Reese's peanut butter cup to decorate the cupcakes.
Expert Baking Tips
- Flour- Make sure to spoon and level the flour. If you stick the measuring cup into a bag of flour, it will compact it. Compacted flour will cause a dry cupcake.
- When filling the cupcakes, you can discard the tops.
- After you pipe the frosting on top, freeze the cupcakes for 10 minutes or store in the fridge. Before serving, the frosting needs to firm slightly in the fridge. Otherwise it is super messy!
Yes it can! Freeze the cupcakes after they cooled by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour before filling and decorating.
Yes! This recipe can be made in a 8X8 inch baking pan or 9X9 inch baking pan.
Yes you can! Double the recipe to make a three layer 8-inch cake.
Storing and Freezing
The chocolate peanut butter filled cupcakes need to be stored in the fridge. Store in an airtight container or this cake carrier. They will last up to 5 days.
Freeze the chocolate peanut butter filled cupcakes by wrapping in plastic wrap. Freeze up to 30 days. Thaw for 1-2 hours before eating.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Chocolate Peanut Butter Filled Cupcakes
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅓ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup Hot water steaming
Peanut Butter Marshmallow Filling
- ⅓ cup Peanut Butter smooth
- ⅓ cup Marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tablespoon Powdered Sugar
Peanut Butter Buttercream
- 1 cup Unsalted butter slightly cold
- 1 cup Peanut butter creamy
- 3 cups Sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream cold
- Reese's peanut butter cups for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oil, vanilla, eggs, and buttermilk together. Pour into the dry ingredients. Whisk until combined. Heat hot water on stove until steaming. Pour VERY slowly into batter. Pour a little and whisk until combined to avoid over cooking the eggs.
- Use a 3 oz cookie scoop to scoop batter into pan. It should be ⅔rds full. Bake for 16-20 minutes. The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Marshmallow Filling
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, milk, and cinnamon. Once fully combined, slowly add in powdered sugar. It should be easily pipeable. Place in a piping bag.
- Use a cupcake corer or a sharp knife to cut a hole ⅔rds down the cupcakes. Save the tops. Fill all the way with filling. Place tops back on.
Peanut Butter Buttercream.
- Place butter on counter for 30 minutes for it to get slightly cold. Sift powdered sugar while you wait.
- Use a mixer, and beat butter until fluffy. Scrape bowl and add in peanut butter. Beat for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl several times to make sure butter is fully combined. It should be creamy.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and mix until combined. It will get very thick. Add in vanilla and heavy cream. Mix on low until combined. Then, beat on high for 3 minutes until fluffy. Cool in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Top with Reese's peanut butter cups.