These turtle brownies are extra fudgy brownies full of chocolate chips and chopped pecans. The brownies are poked and filled with salted caramel and more pecans.
This is the best turtle brownies recipe because they are fudgy and full of gooey caramel. These brownies are the perfect combination of chocolate, pecans, and caramel. I promise you will love them.
For more caramel recipes, try No Bake Turtle Pie, Homemade Salted Caramel, and Caramel Cinnamon Rolls.
Why This Recipe Works
- Fudgy brownies- This homemade brownie recipe is based on my Better Than Boxed Brownies, but with Oreos. They are super fudgy and incredible.
- Homemade Caramel- The homemade salted caramel is a perfect complement to these brownies.
- Chopped Pecans- The combination of chocolate, caramel, and pecan is a classic for a reason!
- Ultimate turtle Brownies- These fudgy homemade brownies are the result of perfecting my brownie recipe. Fair warning, they are hard to stop eating!
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Egg yolk- The extra egg yolk helps to give the brownies an extra fudgy texture.
- Unsalted Butter- The butter needs to be melted and slightly cooled. Too warm and the butter will cook the eggs. Melt early enough to have cooling time before use.
- Oil- Canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil is perfect for this recipe.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- For the best flavor I recommend you use unsweetened cocoa powder. Sweetened cocoa powder will make this recipe too sweet.
- Cornstarch- The cornstarch breaks down the gluten and provides a more fudgy texture and a more chewier brownie.
- Chocolate chips- I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can use dark chocolate chips, but I don't recommend milk chocolate chips since they will make it sweeter.
Step By Step Instructions- Brownies
Here is how to make and bake these turtle brownies.
STEP 1: Spray a 9X9 inch square pan. Spray the pan with non-stick baking spray. For easy removal of the brownies, place parchment paper on the bottom and sides of the pan.
For alternatives to a 9x9 square baking pan see FAQ below.
STEP 2: Mix the dry ingredients. Use a sifter to make sure all the all-purpose flour and cocoa powder lumps are gone.
Mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl.
STEP 3: Beat eggs and sugar. Next, use a mixer with a whisk attachment in. Whip the large eggs and granulated sugar for 5 straight minutes. Just the let the mixer run!
This adds air to the eggs and creates the crinkly top.
STEP 4: Add in wet ingredients. Then, add in the melted butter, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix on low to not deflate the air in the eggs.
STEP 5: Add in dry ingredients. Mix in the flour mixture on low speed. Make sure it is completely combined. Then, fold in chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
STEP 6: Bake the brownies. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes. Bake until the edges are set and the middle is a little bit under baked.
If you stick a toothpick in and it comes out with batter on it give it another 5-10 minutes of baking time. If it comes out with crumbs it is ready.
STEP 7: Cool the brownies. The brownies will continue to cook as they cool down. Start the caramel while they cool.
Step by Step Instructions- Caramel
See this post for more tips and tricks for caramel.
STEP 1: Melt the sugar. First, pour in the white sugar and let it start to melt over medium heat. Don't touch it until it melts.
Then, use the whisk to stir the sugar. It will be clumpy. Keep stirring until all the sugar crystals melt. It will be smooth and very light orange.
STEP 2: Cook the sugar. Let the sugar sit until it turns amber in color. Now, this process takes no time at all. It is really easy to burn the caramel at this stage. I let the caramel sit for 10-15 seconds. It turns amber quickly.
As soon as it turns amber, take it off the heat. Otherwise it will burn.
STEP 3: Add butter and cream. Both of these will be added in half batches. It also needs to be added very quickly, otherwise the sugar will seize up.
Start with the butter (make sure the butter is cubed) and half of it in. The caramel will bubble dramatically, but keep stirring until all melted. Then, add the rest of the butter.
Repeat this process with the heavy cream. It will also bubble a lot, but keep stirring!
STEP 4: Add the salt and vanilla. Add both of these in at the end of making the caramel. Once it is added, pour immediately into a glass jar and let it cool completely.
STEP 5: Poke the brownies. Take the brownies out of the pan. Using a wooden stick, chopstick or similar item poke the brownies. Leave 1 inch between each hole. Spread ½ cup of caramel sauce on top of the brownies and let it sit for 5 minutes.
STEP 6: Top the brownies: Add the extra caramel and chopped pecans on top of the brownies. They are now ready to eat!
Expert Baking Tips
When you are baking these chocolate turtle brownies, you need to be careful when adding in the rest of the ingredients after the eggs are beaten.
If they are added in too fast, the eggs' air will deflate and you won't get as much of a rise from the brownies.
Make sure to spray the pan with baking non-stick spray, so the brownies don't stick to the pan. It is also a good idea to place parchment paper on the bottom of the tray as well.
These brownies are also best enjoyed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This means that the brownies were too under done. You will probably have extremely fudgy brownies. Bake the brownies again for another 15-20 minutes to cook them more.
This means the brownies are over baked. Make sure when you bake these, the center is slightly under done.
I have not recipe tested this. If you make these with an egg substitute, let me know.
Yes you can. It will just make thick brownies.
Yes you can. Just double the recipe.
Storing and Freezing
Store these turtle brownies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last up to 3-4 days. They are best slightly warm.
Store these brownies in the freezer in an airtight container. They will last up to 30 days in the freezer. Thaw for 1 hour before enjoying.
Other Brownie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @stephaniesweettreats. To get more ideas follow me on Pinterest.
- 2 cups White granulated sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ cup Oil canola or vegetable
- ½ cup Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 ⅓ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Chopped pecans
- 1 cup White granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted butter room temperature and cubed
- ½ cup Heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 9X9-inch pan with baking nonstick spray. Line the bottom and two sides of the pan with parchment paper and spray again.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt.¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the sugar, eggs, and egg yolk on high speed for 5 minutes. It will become pale and light in color.2 cups White granulated sugar, 3 Large eggs, 1 Egg yolk
- Add the oil, melted butter, and vanilla and mix on until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined.½ cup Oil, ½ cup Unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Take off the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl, mix in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans.1 ⅓ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips, ½ cup Chopped pecans
- Pour brownie batter into the pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes until edges are set and the middle is only slightly underdone. If you stick a toothpick in and it has batter on it, bake for another 5-10 minutes. If it comes out with crumbs, it is ready.
- Cool the brownies in the pan on a cooling rack completely before taking them out of the pan. Make the caramel while the brownies bake.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the sugar until all the sugar crystals are melted. Stir using a whisk.1 cup White granulated sugar
- Stop stirring and let it sit until it turns amber in color. This process is very quick (less than 30 seconds). Take off the heat and add in half of the cubed butter and whisk until combined. Repeat with the rest of the butter.4 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds until hot, slowly whisk in the cream until combined. Add in the vanilla and salt.½ cup Heavy cream, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- Pour the hot caramel into a glass measuring cup and let it cool completely.
- Take the brownies out of the pan. Use a wooden stick, chopstick or any small round thing to poke the brownies. Poke a hole in the brownies and leave 1 inch space between each hole.
- Spread ½ cup of caramel on top of brownies and let it sit for 5 minutes to let it soak into the holes. Then, add extra caramel and chopped pecans on top of brownies.Chopped pecans
These were amazing! Brought them to work and they lasted for about an hour haha. Will make again! Thanks for another great recipe 🙂
Amazing. Thanks for the recipe
Stephanie Rutherford says
I am so glad you loved the recipe!! They sure are rich yummy brownies! If you made them and want to tag me on instagram I would love to see it!
Kathy Wakefield says
These rich brownies were heaven on earth. They are the perfect mixture of decadent chocolate and salty caramel. The mini chocolate chips and pecans add just the right crunch. I tried them both room temperature amd chilled. I highly recommend chilled! You won't be disappointed. Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!