These one bowl small batch chocolate chip cookies makes 6 large chewy cookies. They are easy to make and require no chill time! They are soft cookies full of chocolate chips with crisp edges. These cookies are perfect when you only need a few cookies and not an entire batch.
I made these easy small batch chocolate chip cookies after the holidays when I wanted just a few gooey cookies. I didn't want an entire 3 dozen cookies.
This recipe makes 6 cookies are chewy and gooey. Perfect if you are by yourself or want to share with a friend. Let's be real, I ate these all on my own. HA.
Why You Will Love This
- 6 large cookies- This recipe makes only 6 large cookies!
- Chewy texture- The cookies are very chewy and gooey with crisp edges.
- Easy to make- The cookies are easy to put together and require no chill time!
- One bowl- You only need one bowl and no mixer for this recipe.
- Unsalted butter- Make sure it melted and cooled. If it is too hot, it will spread too much in the oven.
- Brown sugar- I used light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar can cause the cookies too spread a little.
- Egg- Pull the large egg out 2 hours before baking. Or place in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Baking powder + baking soda- Both are needed to prevent over spreading in the oven.
- All-purpose Flour- The measurements are ¾ cup plus 1 ½ Tablespoon. I found just ¾ cup too little flour and 1 cup made them not spread at all.
- Salt- These cookies are balanced with salt. If you want less salt, use ½ teaspoon.
- Chocolate chips- Use a high quality chocolate chip brand for best results. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can also use dark chocolate chips. I don't recommend milk chocolate chips because it will be too sweet.
Step By Step Instructions
Here is how to make and bake these chewy chocolate chip cookies. This recipe is to be made by hand. You don't need a stand mixer of hand mixer.
STEP 1: Mix butter and sugars. First, mix the cooled melted butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Then, add in vanilla extract and egg. It will be lightly pale brown in color.
STEP 2: Add in dry ingredients. Fold in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Lightly fold to avoid a dry dough.
STEP 3: Add in chocolate chips. Next, add in the chocolate chips. Use a rubber spatula to fold them in.
STEP 4: Scoop the dough. I used an ice cream scoop. You can use a large cookie scoop. Scoop 6 cookie dough balls.
STEP 5: Bake the cookies. Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes.
STEP 6: Slightly cool. Top the cookies with extra chocolate chips and cool slightly on a cooling rack before enjoying.
Expert Baking Tips
If you want to make small-batch chocolate chip cookies right away, you can place the egg in a bowl of warm water to speed up the cookie making.
The cookies are best if you use a room temperature egg versus a cold egg.
When you are mixing in the dry ingredients, it is important you don't over mix. If you over mix, the dough will appear more dry and tough.
To get your cookies to look like mine, top the cookies with more chocolate chips straight from the oven. Then, they will melt and be gooey.
Yes. They won't be as chewy this way though. Use a small cookie scoop to make 12 cookies. Bake for 8-11 minutes.
Yes you can! Freeze in an airtight container. Bake straight from frozen for 15-18 minutes. They won't spread as much when cold however.
The cookie dough bakes best at room temperature. I recommend just baking them fresh.
Storing and Freezing
Store these small batch chocolate chip cookies at room temperature in an airtight container. Store for 5 days. They are best slightly warm in the microwave.
These small batch chocolate chip cookies can be frozen. Store in an airtight container and freeze for 30 days. Thaw for 1 hour on the counter or warm in the microwave.
Other Cookie Recipes To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- ¼ cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- 3 tablespoon White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- ¾ cup Plus 1 ½ Tablespoons All-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon Salt If you want less salt use ½ teaspoon.
- ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping the cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and let cool for 10 minutes.¼ cup Unsalted butter
- In a mixing bowl, mix melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add in vanilla and egg. Mix until smooth.¼ cup Brown sugar, 3 tablespoon White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 Large egg
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a rubber spatula and fold the dough until just combined. Add in chocolate chips and fold into dough.¾ cup Plus 1 ½ Tablespoons All-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¾ teaspoon Salt, ¾ cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Use a large cookie scoop (I made these using an ice cream scoop). Scoop 6 cookie dough balls and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. The cookies will be golden brown on the edges. Top with extra chocolate chips. Let the cookies cool on the hot pan for 4 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.