These Oreo chocolate chip cookies are large bakery style cookies. They are baked large to have a chewy gooey center. The cookies are loaded with Oreo crumbs, Oreo pieces, and chocolate chips! If you love Oreo, these cookies are for you!
These Oreo cookies are very similar to my brown butter chocolate chip cookies. Instead of brown butter, there are loads of Oreos! I took the idea to use both Oreo crumbs and pieces from my Oreo cheesecake. It has so much Oreo flavor in each bite.
Why You Will Love This Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- There are so many Oreos in these cookies! There are 3 different layers of Oreos.
- They are large cookies. When you bake them large, they have a chewy and gooey center.
- These cookies also have those crisp edges. They have a great crunch while still being soft.
- Easy to make! They are seriously so easy to put together.
Step By Step Oreo Cookie Recipe Video
Ingredients Notes for Oreo in Cookies
Here are some notes about the ingredients.
- All-purpose flour- I use regular all-purpose flour. You can also use 1:1 gluten free flour.
- Unsalted butter- Use good quality butter. It does need to be room temperature before using. Pull the butter and eggs out 2 hours before baking.
- Brown sugar- I personally used light brown sugar. There is extra brown sugar compared to sugar in this recipe to get a chewier cookie.
- Egg+ Egg yolk- I tried this recipe with 2 full eggs, but it caused them to spread too much and the dough was too wet. It is probably from the cream in the Oreos. Reducing the egg to an egg yolk helped. (I also increased the flour too!)
- Oreo- I used almost a whole regular pack of Oreos, since I also needed Oreos to top the cookies as well. You can use any flavor Oreo you wish, just don't use double stuff.
- Dairy free- You can use your favorite dairy free options for this recipe!
- Gluten free- I haven't tested this gluten free. Let me know if you do.
- Brown sugar- You can also use dark brown sugar.
- Chocolate chips- You can use dairy free chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
Steps By Step Instructions- Oreo Cookie Dough
STEP 1: First, mix the dry ingredients. Use a sifter to make sure all the flour lumps are gone.
STEP 2: Next, blend the Oreos. I used a food processor to blend the cookies. Pulse the Oreos to a fine crumb. Then, for the pieces, it only needs to be pulsed a few times.
STEP 3: Then, beat the butter and sugars. Blend until it is super light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk.
STEP 4: Add in the dry ingredients. Then, add in the Oreo crumbs, pieces, and chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Chill the dough. It needs to be chilled, otherwise the cookies will spread a lot in the oven.
STEP 6: Bake the cookies. Use a large cookie scoop and make sure it is a rounded heap of cookie dough. If you weigh it, it weighs 3.5 oz. Next, bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes.
First, pull the butter and eggs out 2 hours before baking. This lets the butter and eggs fully emulsify into the cookie dough when they are all the same temperature. This also helps to create a chewier texture.
The cookies NEED to be chilled. Another tip is wait for the cookies to chill, then scoop the entire batch of cookie dough.
Place the first batch (6 cookie dough balls) in the freezer while the oven preheats. Then, with the rest of the cookie dough balls, place them in the fridge until it is their turn. This helps to reduce spreading a lot.
Topping The Cookies
While this is optional, it does help to complete the look! Top the cookies with extra Oreo pieces and chocolate chips while the cookies are warm. This will make it look melty.
Also, top the cookies with extra Oreo crumbs.
Yes! Just make sure they aren't double stuffed. Any other flavor would work. Golden Oreos would be amazing.
Yes it can! Chill the dough for the initial 40 minutes. Then, scoop the dough. Wrap the cookie dough balls tightly and store in the fridge. If you aren't making these cookies for at least 3-4 days then freeze. Bake the cookies straight from the freezer. Just allow for 1-3 extra minutes baking time.
I have not made these vegan. If you do make them, let me know!
- Oreos- You can use different flavor of Oreos! You can use gluten free Oreos, vanilla Oreos, or Halloween Oreos. So many options!
- Parchment paper: I use premade sheets of parchment paper vs the roll of parchment paper. It makes baking a lot easier!
- Large cookie scoop: I love this OXO cookie scoop.
Storing and Freezing
These Oreo chocolate chip cookies should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last up to 3-4 days.
These Oreo chocolate chip cookies can be frozen after they are baked. Wrap the cookies in cling wrap in an air tight container. Freeze up to 30 days. Let the cookies thaw on the counter for 1 hour. Or microwave until warm.
Other Cookie Recipes to Try
Other Oreo Desserts To Try
Make sure to leave me a star review below!
Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Brown sugar packed light or dark
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg room temperature
- 1 Egg yolk room temperature
- 1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Oreo crumbs 5 cookies blended until fine
- ¾ cup Oreo pieces 6 cookies broken into small and medium pieces
- Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside. Blend the 5 Oreos into fine crumbs using a blender. Measure off ½ a cup, save the rest to top the cookies. Use the blender to pulse the 6 Oreo cookies into pieces.2 ¾ cup All-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Baking soda, ½ cup Oreo crumbs, ¾ cup Oreo pieces, 1 teaspoon Salt
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat on high until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl. Add in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Mix until combined.1 cup Unsalted butter, 1 cup Brown sugar, ½ cup White granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract, 1 Large egg, 1 Egg yolk
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips, Oreo crumbs, and Oreo pieces. Chill for 40 minutes.1 ½ cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the cookies using a large 3 oz cookie scoop. The cookie dough scoop should be a rounded heap. Place 6 balls on a cookie sheet and freeze until the oven is preheated. This gets them cold and they spread less. Scoop the rest of the dough on the other cookie sheet and place in the fridge while the others bake.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes. The edges will be lightly golden brown and the middle with be slightly underdone. Let the cookies sit on the pan for 4 minutes. Use a biscuit cutter to scoot the cookies in a circular motion until round. Top with Oreo pieces and extra chocolate chips. Sprinkle Oreo crumbs on top. Then, transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool until slightly warm or cooled completely.