S’mores chocolate chip cookies- these are the best and easiest s’mores chocolate chip cookies. The chocolate chip cookies are very fluffy and chewy. It is topped with a graham cracker and a toasted marshmallow. It also has melted chocolate on top.
What Makes S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies The Perfect Combo?
Could you imagine anything better than a chewy chocolate chip cookies and s’mores? I can. Put them together to get the perfect summer treat.
The chocolate chip cookies are soft, fluffy, and super chewy. They are full of chocolate chips and are super easy to make. Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? To get the s’mores to stick to the cookie, I slathered some melted chocolate between the layers. YUM.
Then, there is a graham cracker, toasted marshmallow and melted chocolate on top. The graham cracker adds nice solid crunch with the soft marshmallow and chocolate on top. There could be no more perfect combo!
This blog receives a commission for using Amazon products for the food recipes that I shared with you in my posts. Although I receive a commission for using and linking their products, they are extremely good for my food recipes and all my opinions and suggestions are unbiased.
How To Get Perfectly Even Chocolate Chip Cookies
The most important part to get even cookies is to let the cookie dough chill for 1 hour. I know it seems annoying to wait a whole hour to have a cookie. I swear it is worth the wait.
Not only does the cookie dough marinate in the fridge, the yummy chocolate chip flavor intensifies as it sits. It also keeps it from spreading in the oven.
One of the main reasons a cookie spreads and becomes uneven in the oven is because the dough and butter were too warm and it melted and spread too quickly. When you chill the dough, the butter solidifies and it doesn’t spread as much.
For my high altiutde friends, add an extra 2 1/2 TBSP of flour to also help your cookies from spreading too much in the oven.
After 1 hour in the fridge, let the cookie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before you bake them.
How To Make The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
To start, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch in a medium bowl. I use this sifter to make sure to get rid of all of my flour lumps. I use it every time!
Then, use a mixer to cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together. I recommend a mixer because it has the power to aerate the butter which makes fluffier cookies.
Next, add in vanilla and eggs one at a time. Then, add in the dry ingredients. Next, add in the chocolate chips. Now you have amazing chocolate chip cookie dough. I won’t judge you if you sneak a bite.
Make sure to cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
My Best Tips To Get The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Use room temperature ingredients– before you start baking, about 2 hours ahead, pull your eggs and butter and set them on the counter. Room temperature ingredients will help to get a more evenly baked cookie.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour– like I mentioned earlier, this will help prevent your cookies from spreading too much.
- Use a cookie scoop– use a 1 1/2 TBSP cookie scoop to get evenly sized cookies. It is also so much easier to scoop cookies this way.
- Use silicone baking sheets– I love my silicone baking sheets. The cookies won’t stick to the pan and they clean easily. It is perfect!
- Bake cookies until lightly golden brown– the cookies will appear slightly underdone in the middle and the edges will be golden brown. The cookies will set on the cookie pan as it cools. You will have soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies
Baking The Chocolate Chip Cookies
Baking the chocolate chip cookies is super easy! Preheat the oven to 350F and line 2 cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
Then, use a cookie scoop, like I mentioned above, and scoop the dough and place on the cookie sheet. Don’t mold or shape the dough once you scooped it. We want all of those natural ruffles the cookie scoop gave us.
Next, bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. The cookies should have lightly golden brown edges, and the center should be slightly underdone. Then, let the cookies sit on the cookie pan for 4 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Before you assemble the s’mores chocolate chip cookies, make sure the cookies are completely cool. We don’t want to place melted chocolate on a hot cookie!
How To Melt Chocolate In The Microwave
The chocolate that you should use is baking chocolate and not chocolate chips. Chocolate chips have an extra additive that won’t melt right. Use a baking chocolate, but make sure to use a high quality chocolate like this one.
Grab a microwave safe bowl, and place the chocolate inside. Make sure to break it into the squares and not leave it as a whole piece. (It will melt better) Between each microwaving interval, make sure to stir the chocolate thoroughly.
Start by melting the chocolate for 30 second intervals. Once it starts to melt, heat it for 20 second intervals. Then, as it is 3/4 of the way melted, heat for 15 seconds.
When there is only the last little bit of chocolate, stir it thoroughly to melt it all the way down. Make sure the last bit of chocolate is melted by stirring and not in the microwave.
This is all about tempering your chocolate. Heating your chocolate too quickly will overheat it and it can curdle. That’s why we do it slowly!
Next, spread a small amount of chocolate on each cookie. Then, place half of a graham cracker and half of a marshmallow on top. Save the rest of the chocolate to pour on top of the toasted marshmallows.
To reheat your chocolate later, heat it for 10 second intervals until smooth and silky again.
Broiling The S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies.
After you assembled the cookie, place all of them on a cookie sheet and turn your oven to broil on high.
Now you can use a handheld torch, but I find broiling the marshmallows in the oven a lot easier.
Broil the marshmallows for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows are toasted golden brown. Make sure to keep an eye on the marshmallows because they can go from golden brown to black very quickly!
Next, use a spoon the flatten each marshmallow. We want an even layer of marshmallow in every bite.
Then, pour a small amount of chocolate on top of each marshmallow. I will take a spoon to drizzle the chocolate on top of the graham cracker to get an even layer of chocolate.
Optional: you can crumble up some graham crackers and sprinkle the crumbs on top of the chewy s’mores chocolate chip cookies to complete the look.
How To Store S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
To store the s’mores chocolate chip cookies, place them in a Tupperware and keep them at room temperature. The chocolate will harden and will be fine at room temperature as long as your house isn’t too warm.
If you have a warm house (summer time house with no air conditioning for example) keep the cookies in the fridge to make sure the chocolate doesn’t get too runny.
Can These Chewy S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies Be Gluten Free?
Yes, they absolutely can! For the cookies, use a 1:1 gluten free flour. As long as it is a 1:1 ratio you won’t have to substitute anything else for the cookies.
For the s’more part, use gluten free graham crackers. The taste will be slightly off, but not by much. They will work just fine!
Can These S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies Be Frozen?
Yes! These cookies can be frozen. Wrap tightly in cling wrap and place in Tupperware or plastic baggie. Then, you can freeze the cookies.
To thaw the cookies, let the cookies get to room temperature and then you can enjoy!
Other Recipes To Try
- S’mores mini cheesecakes
- Monster Cookies
- Brownies and cookie dough sandwiches
- Peanut butter cookie sandwiches
S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Packed brown sugar light or dark
- 1/2 cup White granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Mini chocolate chips
- 18 Regular sized marshmallows
- 18 Whole graham crackers plus a little extra for topping
- 8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cornstarch. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, and beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar on medium for 1 minute. The butter should be light and fluffy. Add in vanilla and beat again for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl.
- Add in eggs one at a time and mix on low. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Then, add in both chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl and let cookies chill in fridge for 1 hour. Then, let them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a 1 1/2 TBSP cookie scoop to get even cookies. Scoop the dough and place directly on the cookie sheet. Make sure cookies are placed 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are done when the edges are golden brown and middle looks slightly underdone.
- Let cookies sit on hot cookie sheet for 4 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once cookies are completely cool, start melted the chocolate in the microwave. In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate for 30 seconds in the microwave. Then, stir. Once the chocolate is starting to melt, heat for 20 seconds. Stir between each interval. Once it is mostly melted, heat for 15 seconds. Once there is just a little bit of chocolate left, stir to melt completely.
- Pour a small amount of chocolate on top of cookie. Place half of a graham cracker on top of the cookie. Then, place half of a marshmallow on top of graham cracker.
- Turn your oven to broil on high. Heat the cookies on a cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown. Keep an eye on them because they can burn quickly!
- Use a spoon to squish down the toasted marshmallow. Pour melted chocolate on top of each marshmallow. Spread the chocolate a little so it drips down the sides. Pour crumbled graham cracker crumbs on top. Store cookies at room temperature.